Suggestions for creating your own workouts

Options
I'm really struggling with my workouts right now. I have been attending classes, but my work schedule now conflicts with the class schedule at the gym where I have a membership. Getting a new membership at another gym is not an option.

Aside from doing the elliptical and doing some free weights (upper body), I'm at a loss for workouts to do on my own. Can anyone recommend some good resources for putting together your own workout plans? It can be websites, blogs, books, etc. I'm willing to learn. I'm interested in incorporating more strength training and interval training, but I'm not sure where to start in the learning/planning process.

In addition to this, I have found it damn near impossible to workout without some good music. I just bought a new ipod for this purpose, so if you have some favorite workout songs, send them my way as well!

Replies

• JenniferPlus2
    JenniferPlus2 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises, The New Rules of Lifting for Women, 5x5 stronglifts, or just go to your library to the fitness section. That is where I found some great information. Good luck and have fun!
  • Code7526
    Options
    I can give you work out which you can play with. My running schedule I would say stick to for 3 months and then increase it by 10% every three months if you want to increase.

Running program:

Wednesday: Run 2 miles

Saturday: Run 2 miles

Sunday: Run 2 miles

After 3 months increase the distance you run by 10%. Play with the program if you want to run on Monday, Wednesday and Friday rather, do it, or do whatever you want.

Weight training:

Tuesday:

Bench Press(dumbbells) 3 sets(8 reps)
    Shoulder Press(dumbbells) 3 sets (8 reps)
    Arm Curl(dumbbells) 3 sets ( 8 reps)

Thursday:

Bench Press(dumbbells) 3 sets ( 8 reps)
    Shoulder Press(dumbbells) 3 sets (8 reps)
    Arm Curl(dumbbells) 3 sets ( 8 reps)

Play with it, change it, do whatever you want. I would just recommend you don't over train because over training is worse than under training as if you over train, you will eventually pick up injuries.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    ya, don't. you don't have the decades of experience needed to make a proper template. See the post above me of what happens when you make your own. 2 pushes and 1 isolation movement. 0 pulls, 0 core, 0 legs. Totally imbalanced and useless. So pick one thats already established and follow it. New rules of lifting, SL being good starter ones. 5/3/1 or westside if you're really serious about lifting.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises, The New Rules of Lifting for Women, 5x5 stronglifts, or just go to your library to the fitness section. That is where I found some great information. Good luck and have fun!
    I have the first two books mentioned here and they're awesome! I completed the New Rules program and loved it!