Yo Yo Dieting

VJ97
VJ97 Posts: 37 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hitting 40 has given me a total headache!!! Any weight I lose goes straight back on unless I exercise like mad and eat nothing!!!!

Help :explode:

7006599.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    It doesn't get any easier that for sure but its doable :) I once thought the same you see, but now I'm only 4lbs from goal! If I can do it anyone can. Just track all your food so your eating at your allowance and get your exericise in most days and you will lose. It takes patience.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    p.s I notice you have been here since 2011 and only have 1 friend, you need to add some more - ones who will encourage and support you - I know my MFP gals are the reason for my success, I'm scared to go over my cals and I like to show off that I'm doing my workouts like a good girl LOL

You can do this ok :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    40!!
    You're a baby!! :smile:

It's all about discipline and age is no barrier. Biggest things to get right are total honesty and accuracy in logging your food plus patience.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    How much weight over how much time?

Exercising like crazy is asking your body to store more glucose for those efforts, glucose stores with water.

Finally eat enough to refill those stores, you can shoot up 2 lbs over night just from that.

Now count muscle retained water because of repair of muscle used.

Always do the math with your weight gain and loss.

If you have any thought that it is fat, it would mean 3500 calories per lb.

So if you gained 2 lbs over the weekend and think it is possibly fat, that would imply you ate 1700 calories each of those 2 days over your maintenance level, or TDEE. Not even over your goal, you would have had to eaten back your deficit too, and 1700 more.

So was that even possible? Is it even possibly fat?

Doing frequent intense exercise with reduced glucose stores is just asking to burn off muscle, which is likely anyway depending on your workouts.

Talking about yo-yo dieting your life away.
  • I have some serious yo yo dieting going on. I finished college where I actually kept most of the weight off and started working as a nurse when the weight started piling back on. Its very frustrating. I also work the evening shift so I need to break the habit of eating when I come home at night. Its hard to sleep after a night of work so I generally eat a meal and fall asleep around 3am. I am good for a few days drop a few pounds then is all comes right back. How am I supposed to educate my patients on the importance of a healthy life style if I can not maintain one consistently my self. So I came here in search of support and advice. Hopefully this works out. Id really like to stop yo yoing and maintain and finally reach my goal weight.
  • VJ97
    VJ97 Posts: 37 Member
    Its my problem as well going from nursing and being active every day to a desk job, reading some of these posts have put dieting into perspective and ignited my motivation again.

I'm setting my self a goal of 6lbs by Christmas:smile:
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    I think the problem is in the title here...DIET. I know this gets banded around a lot, but it is soooo true; you need to make this a lifestyle change, not a diet. I used to diet all the time; i would follow one plan, cut out certain foods, follow this 'golden rule' to miraculous weight loss, and i would lose a few pounds. But then the minute you go back to eating regularly again that weight would all come piling back on, plus more! I even tried tyhe whole, 'yeah, i can TOTALLY follow this particular diet for the REST OF MY LIFE!' Only to break a couple of weeks later and binge like crazy.

Stop with the diets people! They won't do you any good in the long run, because no-one wants to spend the rest of their lives never eating cake again! It's OK to eat these things and treat yourself as long as you stay within a calorie deficit. Life is full of birthdays and anniversaries and special occasions, so so what if you have a naughty day once in a while? That's LIFE, hence why people push for 'LIFESTYLE change rather than diet. And a lifestyle that works around you and your job and your crazy hours (i work two jobs and six days a week yet still find the time to exercise and eat sensibly).

Sorry....i really hope that doesn't come across as negative, i'm in a really energetic and motivational mood (sucks being stuck at my desk job at the moment, think a run during my lunchbreak is in order!). But to sum it up, from experience, diets don't work, lifestyle changes do, and ther eis no excuse why you can't make it work for you because everyone is different and you jts have to find your own particular habits.

Good luck everyone!!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    You shouldn't have to exercise like mad and eat nothing. Are you logging your food? If so, opening your diary might help people to give you suggestions. If you aren't, then start there.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    So if you have been a yo yo dieter for a long time, stop doing what has "worked" in the past. Spend time learning this time and do it right. Age isn't really an issue in terms of weight loss, but a mindset does. Set moderate goals (1 lb per week) and if you exercise, eat more - it's how MFP is designed. I would suggest only eating 50% of the exercise calories. Realistically, most people aren't burning 1000 calories, but rather 300-600 depending on size and intensity of workout. HRMs are good but not necessary. I would suggest if you have a routine (like exercising 3 days a week), then increase your activity level to reflect that instead of eating back exercise calories. See below of what an example. Although, if you have an active job, then you would add one extra level. Another note, i would recommend adjust macro's to add more protein. I like macro's around 40% carbs, 30% protein and fats. This way you get closer to aiming for 1g of protein and .35g of fat per lb of lean body mass. And lastly, if you do exercise, make sure you incorporate weight training. It will help maintain your muscle during weight loss, which in turn helps maintain your metabolic rate.

1-3 hours of exercise - lightly active
    4-6 hours of exercise - moderate
This discussion has been closed.