New girl. Paramedic. IBS. Love the gym

Options
Hi there! I am looking to network with fellow healthy eaters! I work as a Paramedic -- and anyone who has ever worked in the emergency response field understands what it is like to juggle eating and work in a 12 hour shift! I am lucky in the sense that I do not work night shifts (I always found that incredibly hard on my eating / exercising). However, working a 12 - 15 hr day makes it tricky to not come home and just crash on the couch!

A little about my history..

I have been a chubby kid my whole life. It all began in grade 2. I have never been considered obese, but have always struggled with my weight. I recall being in grade 4 and being self conscious about how big my legs looked sitting at my desk at school. I had parents who weren't overly supportive in trying to help me lose / be healthy as a child. I remember wanting to take a specific dance class and my mom's response was "Christa you're too big"

Weird how something like that can really stick with someone their whole life.

I have always been active. I grew up living in a swim suit / teaching swimming lessons / lifeguarding and even took on the love of the gym at the early age of 13/14. I have always loved weight training and love the motivation I get from going to a gym. I have basically been self taught when it comes to working out / healthy eating. I have done my share of research and reading and have found what works best for me.

My problem is I have a hard time sticking to something. I will get momemtum going and lose some pounds / look great / feel great... and then I slowly fall off the wagon. I'm not talking late night runs to a fast food joint -- but just little slip ups seem to really set me back. Having a snack at night with my boyfriend... enjoying a cheat meal... All these things are HUGE set backs for me.

To make matters worse, I suffer from IBS. Through a lot of trial and error -- I have discovered my trigger foods. My biggest allergies / sensitivities are gluten and dairy. I have a whole list of other foods, but we can save that for another day:)

I am currently 5'6" and weigh 194lbs. The lowest I have been in my adult life was 167lbs. And I felt fantastic and looked great. Somehow it crept back. And it didnt creep back from a year of horrible binge eating.. it just slowly came back on.

I am active. I eat clean. And i go to the gym approx 4 times a week. I make sure if I am not able to make it to the gym after work, that I am at least active with my 2 yr old pup at night ;)

Hoping to network and find encouragement. I'm sick of being overweight. It's not me. I know there's more on the inside that needs to be discovered!

XO Christa (aka Chrita)

Replies

• KristinNicole82
    KristinNicole82 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I love cheat meals and cooking for my boyfriend always does me in. But I love the results more than I love food :) Good luck
  • SIMA80
    SIMA80 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me
  • DKrisAn
    DKrisAn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    For a while I struggled with a food allergy to corn. I remember being a complete emotional basket case when I was trying to figure out what I could eat without breaking into hives. I had to eat very clean and avoid all processed food. Luckily for me after about a year and half of dealing with this I can eat without being afraid of having an allergic reactions.

Feel free to add me.
  • hartshapedpetals
    Options
    I have IBS as well, but unfortunately have NOT found my trigger foods. I once tried a gluten free, dairy free and sugar free diet and definitely felt some relief, but I cannot live like that! Anyway, you can read about my weight struggles on my profile. And I'm going to add you :) We can encourage each other! I work long hours as well.. not 12 a day, but I don't get home til almost 8:30 usually and I'm exhausted. It's hard to go straight to the kitchen to prepare tomorrows meals, and/or workout and not get on the couch and veg!! We can do this!

-Michelle
  • kkathryne
    Options
    Hi there - I'm a fellow paramedic with similar struggles as yourself - hoping to get together a group for some much needed encouragement. If you're still active on this site, feel free to add me.