Specific Diet Program

Options
Hi Everyone! so far I love this site. It is the most comprehensive database I have found. I started out on nutrisystem, and I do like the program. My problem is that I get tired of the food becaue I only like certain meals that they offer. As a result, I am thinking of trying something different. I have lost 10 pounds in 2 months and I have not been strict at all.

How does everyone use this website. Is everyone just counting calories, or are you on a specific program? Thanks so much, Rose

Replies

• TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I just count. No specialty foods or programs. Simple - weigh/measure your food and count the calories. Stay within your calorie range and get some exercise. No magic pills.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Log, eat, exercise! I can't do the suggested menus, I'm picky. I eat what I like (and lots of it!!) when I like!
  • davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If you like what you're on and want to continue but with more variety check out the macros (carbs, protein, fat) of the nutrisystem meals then experiment with making meals with similar macro nutrients and calorie counts.
  • simplycorey
    simplycorey Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want as long as I stay within my daily limit and exercise. I have to have a little bit of junk each day or I couldn't make this work.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle change for me.

I've lost weight, and then gained it back countless times. I am "successful" with programs to lose weight ......but programs don't help me keep the weight OFF. I'm done with programs. I measure, eat, log, and exercise.
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    Ive added a few things to my menu in order to ensure I get enough protein. My normal diet leans heavily towards carbs so I am making a conscious effort to eat more protein and fats.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! so far I love this site. It is the most comprehensive database I have found. I started out on nutrisystem, and I do like the program. My problem is that I get tired of the food becaue I only like certain meals that they offer. As a result, I am thinking of trying something different. I have lost 10 pounds in 2 months and I have not been strict at all.

How does everyone use this website. Is everyone just counting calories, or are you on a specific program? Thanks so much, Rose

i started out last september (1 year ago) following a tweaked version of nutrisystem. it was too expensive, and the 1 month supply of food only came with a couple meals that i enjoyed. after comparing the calorie count to the other diet meals at the store, i found that they were pretty much the same, and my options were much greater at the grocery store. its muc cheaper as well, because you just buy the ones that are on sale. i ate 1200 calories a day, which is what the calorie count on nutrisystem pretty much averaged out to. i buy whatever is on sale, lean cuisine, smart ones, healthy choice... i add in my own raw fresh ingredients for added taste, and to make the meal larger. for example, the smart ones or lean cuisine seasame chicken meal is so good, served on top of a bed of fresh chopped spinach leaves, topped with tabasco or tapatio. mmmmmmmmmm...

i eat this way because it fits my busy life. im a wife, mother of 5, full time student, etc... i have very little free time, so, its either these fast, pre cooked, pre portioned meals, or i will stop at burger king, thats just the way it is. if you dont have any underlying health conditions, sodium is not an issue...

i lost 95 pounds in 1 year eating this way, and even now, on partial maintenance, i choose to eat these meals, because some are just so freaking good! heres my faves...

lean cuisine:
    chicken ranch melt (add in sliced jalepeno and fresh spinach leaves)
    seasame chicken (serve over a bed of fresh spinach leaves topped with tapatio)
    santa fe rice and beans with sour cream sauce (serve over huge bed of shredded lettuce, add tapatio or salsa for a huge tostada salad)
    ranchero braised beef and sweet potatoes
    all the pizzas (add jalepeno slices, and finely chopped spinach leaves)

healthy choice:
    all of the asian inspired steamers. (i add in either fresh spinach leaves or steamed shredded cabbage)

other:
    di giorno tuscan chicken pizza (add sliced tomato, sliced jalepeno, chopp[ed spinach leaves, half the entire large pizza is only 435 cals!)
    skinny cow ice cream (any kind)
    amys kitchen sweet and sour noodles (serve over bed of spinach leaves topped with tapatio)
    jimmy dean skillets (1 serving 200 cals) with 1 cup egg whites (only 300 cals and over 35g of protien)
    betty crocker shake and pour confetti cake mix (mixes only with water, i double the water, make 12 large cupcakes @135 cals each, and top with 10 cal fat free cool whip)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I eat what I like... as long as it fits in my calorie goal. If it doesn't fit, then I don't eat it... or I exercise to earn more calories.

Do what is sustainable and makes you happy.

For me, that includes having ice cream at night and not feeling deprived of the foods I love. Seems to be working rather well for me!

Good luck.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I eat what I like... as long as it fits in my calorie goal. If it doesn't fit, then I don't eat it... or I exercise to earn more calories.

For me, that includes having ice cream at night and not feeling deprived of the foods I love. Seems to be working rather well for me!

Good luck.
    yup. I second this.
  • sjfugatt1
    sjfugatt1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Weight Watchers but also keeping everything in line with MFP.
  • rosieoh11
    rosieoh11 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    WOW -- THANKS, everyone. I'm so thrilled that I found this website. I do believe that you can do this without a program; just by tracking and staying true to the numbers.

Something that I think is very, very important is to eat what you like; there is no diet program that will hold me if I don't like what I'm eating. Also . . . this website is easy and convenient. I personally think that Weight Watchers is complicated to follow. Tried it a million times, and could not get it to work for me.

Good luck and THANKS!
  • rosieoh11
    Options
    Thanks -- sending out some friend requests if that's ok!!!!
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Hi Rosie, well for a start you look amazing from your profile pic.... Just be careful not to go down to 1200 despite what MFP says unless you have little to lose. Better to go for a realistic goal of 1 pound a week weight loss and stick with that. Quite honestly you can eat well at around 1600-1800 or higher and still enjoy food!

I find that, by regular logging, I get to understand portion control and use scales to weigh food rather than estimating. This has helped tremendously...

I have been doing this for just a year and have not lost as much weight as other people but have dropped two dress sizes. It is not all about the scale.... I am learning a lot from my friends' diaries, macros and how they are approaching it and have had a lot of support on here... The best thing is that I have kept off the weight and have learnt so much...Good luck!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I use the Fast 5 Life loosely. Google it for a summary or down load the book for free. :flowerforyou:
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options

Good luck.

^^This^^
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Welcome Rosie. This site is so helpful at planning meals and helping me keep me on track. I began at about the same weight as you, lost 50 lbs., found MFP and dropped another 25. Now I'm using the site to begin maintenance. I have to watch my carbs and this makes it a lot easier to track those. I've learned to eat healthier yet still enjoy most of the foods that got me into trouble...just in more reasonable amounts and less often. It makes losing weight and keeping it off so much more possible than depriving yourself too striclly. So I hope this works for you and if you use what the site offers, I'm sure you'll be successful. By the way, it took me a little over 15 months to lose the 75 lbs., which was a reasonable amount of time, even with several plateaus that cropped up!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • rosieoh11
    Options
    BABS! Boy, do I agree with your on calories! I did set it at 1200, but need to re-do b/c it counts veggies and everything else. I really do believe that you are better off having more calories and exercising! thanks
  • rosieoh11
    Options

i started out last september (1 year ago) following a tweaked version of nutrisystem. it was too expensive, and the 1 month supply of food only came with a couple meals that i enjoyed. after comparing the calorie count to the other diet meals at the store, i found that they were pretty much the same, and my options were much greater at the grocery store. its muc cheaper as well, because you just buy the ones that are on sale. i ate 1200 calories a day, which is what the calorie count on nutrisystem pretty much averaged out to. i buy whatever is on sale, lean cuisine, smart ones, healthy choice... i add in my own raw fresh ingredients for added taste, and to make the meal larger. for example, the smart ones or lean cuisine seasame chicken meal is so good, served on top of a bed of fresh chopped spinach leaves, topped with tabasco or tapatio. mmmmmmmmmm...

i eat this way because it fits my busy life. im a wife, mother of 5, full time student, etc... i have very little free time, so, its either these fast, pre cooked, pre portioned meals, or i will stop at burger king, thats just the way it is. if you dont have any underlying health conditions, sodium is not an issue...

i lost 95 pounds in 1 year eating this way, and even now, on partial maintenance, i choose to eat these meals, because some are just so freaking good! heres my faves...

lean cuisine:
    chicken ranch melt (add in sliced jalepeno and fresh spinach leaves)
    seasame chicken (serve over a bed of fresh spinach leaves topped with tapatio)
    santa fe rice and beans with sour cream sauce (serve over huge bed of shredded lettuce, add tapatio or salsa for a huge tostada salad)
    ranchero braised beef and sweet potatoes
    all the pizzas (add jalepeno slices, and finely chopped spinach leaves)

healthy choice:
    all of the asian inspired steamers. (i add in either fresh spinach leaves or steamed shredded cabbage)

other:
    di giorno tuscan chicken pizza (add sliced tomato, sliced jalepeno, chopp[ed spinach leaves, half the entire large pizza is only 435 cals!)
    skinny cow ice cream (any kind)
    amys kitchen sweet and sour noodles (serve over bed of spinach leaves topped with tapatio)
    jimmy dean skillets (1 serving 200 cals) with 1 cup egg whites (only 300 cals and over 35g of protien)
    betty crocker shake and pour confetti cake mix (mixes only with water, i double the water, make 12 large cupcakes @135 cals each, and top with 10 cal fat free cool whip)

Hi McGraw! Love, love,love your idea for a meal plan. What do you eat for breakfast and lunch? Are these dinner menus? Hey, THANKS for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!