Loosing weight with underactive thyroid?

Options
Hi. My Dr recently told me that my thyroid basically doesn't work at all. I've started medication but it sounds like it'll be a long time before the dose is right. I've been told that this slows down my metabolism & I'm not sure what that will mean to my weight loss goals. Has anyone else had this problem or know what I need to do?

Replies

• SheFitWalks
    SheFitWalks Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had Thyroid cancer and no longer have a thyroid at all. I think the best thing we can do is to walk or do some sort of exercise. That in itself will give you more energy. I've learned that when I exercise...even when I don't feel like I can...I end up with more energy after I've exercised for a week or so. Currently, I just walk. I use the FitBit and walk with some of Leslie Sansone's DVDs.

It will help you quite a bit when your doctors have your Synthroid meds regulated. I would say Please let them know if you still feel like you don't have energy. They may be able to adjust your dose.

Glad to see that you are on MFP (MyFitnessPal), I know the exercise will help!

Sheila
    aka SheFitWalks
  • Jagreene62
    Jagreene62 Posts: 4,782 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism about 20 years ago....my mother also has it. The one thing I have noticed is that I can't lose weight with nutrition alone. I MUST EXERCISE!! :flowerforyou:
  • Madeit15
    Madeit15 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! I'm starting to exercise more since joining MFP. I've been putting exercise off because it's not easy to do it with 2 kids under 5 & my husband working long hours. I really want to lose this extra weight though so I'm making more of an effort. Thanks for your advice :-)
  • I have Graves Disease, and they basically gave me radioactive iodine until my thyroid was almost completely nonfunctional. It is harder to lose weight. Until you're on the correct dosage, I would do your best, but not expect too many results. Also, your underactive thyroid can cause a lot of joint/muscle pain and even damage since your body isn't getting the proper nutrients, so be weary, and if you need to start very slow with easy exercises, such as walking short distances, then do it and don't be ashamed. Also, feel free to add me for support!
  • lacotto
    lacotto Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Agree with the earlier replies - I was undiagnosed for a decade then last year had a total thyroidectomy and found out I had cancer. Even with getting your dosage right, you will have to up the activity. It's going to be harder to lose weight when your metabolism is out of whack. You might also look into a low-glycemic or paleo nutritional approach. Every book I've read indicates a link between gluten intolerance and thyroid issues, and soy and thyroid issues. As I'm getting ready for my annual screening and have to be on a low iodine diet, I figured it was the perfect time to try out paleo. Before that, I still had cut out all soy (coconut aminos are a great substitute, as well as Bragg's Liquid Aminos), and grains were kind of a take it or leave it thing, but definitely went for lower processed, higher protein/fiber content.

But on losing weight....this is going to sound counter productive, but gain some muscle. Sure, it weighs more than fat, but the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn just existing. You won't get crazy ripped, but you'll have more energy, better posture (haaaay making boobs look bigger!), and lifting heavy objects? Fuggedaboudddit! I signed up with planet fitness, and they do free (!!!!) training. Mix of that and cardio and making dietary changes, you should see results. It will just take a little longer.
  • Megan5304
    Options
    Thyroid problems can be very challenging. The hardest part is keeping the metabolism in check. I have learned that there are certain foods that can aggravate the thyroid so, it is important to watch what you eat. Sometimes supplements can help but it depends on the severity of the thyroid. My aunt used a supplement that help her. I am not sure what it is called but she said it helped her. I will ask her and then reply back here.
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I agree that thyroid problems can be very challenging. After I had a complete thyroidectomy (due to cancer) I gained an easy 30lbs in 3 months of having no meds. Your meds will help all other symptoms but they don't seem to help you when it comes to losing weight.
    Watch what you eat - if you could eat anything before you no longer can.

Workout as much as possible - it will be hard you will be tired but you need it now more than ever!
    (And like others have said you will have energy from working out.)

Do not give up - you are not alone and though it might take a little longer you will be happy in the end!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Getting the right meds is key, unfortunately some people have their thyroid levels change more rapidly than others. It'll take time to get yours right, and time to figure out how often you need to go into the doctor to check things. Some people can go to a general practitioner once a year and get their levels checked, some have to go to an endocrinologist once every few months.

In general, though, normal weight loss techniques will work for someone with a medically controlled thyroid condition. It just means you have to work harder. Think of it as further incentive to be a bad *kitten*.
  • Jagreene62
    Jagreene62 Posts: 4,782 Member
    Options
    I like this quote:

"Think of it as further incentive to be a bad *kitten*." Yes we are, because we have to work twice as hard to get the same results!! :explode:
  • maracuya23
    Options
    Totally possible to lose weight! I was diagnosed in March, and it took months to get my dose right. It's a slow and sometimes frustrating process, but it does get better, really. At first, I tried to go hard core with the workouts and stick to 1200 net. Didn't lose much of anything. Then, I gradually realized I needed to get well first, and for me that meant getting my meds and nutrition in place before I tried to go hard core with the loss. Now, I feel a ton better, know what foods make me feel great, and net as many calories as possible while still aiming to lose about a pound every 10 days.

I highly recommend looking into some of the info Mary Shomon puts out- most is quite helpful, especially in regards to the nutrition side of things and optimizing how well your body can use the medication.

Hang in there and good luck!
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed with hypothyroidism at 27 and that was about 30 years ago and my TSH has NEVER been stable for more than a year. Read everything you can get your hands on about this stinking disease because you can't necessarily depend on a general practitioner to know what they are talking about. YOU need to become the expert. Insist on rechecks (even when your TSH has stabilized) every six months, find an endocrinologist if you don't stabilize in the next six months, don't let your insurance company or pharmacist tell you that levothyroxine (generic) is just as good as Synthroid (it isn't - some unlucky souls just don't absorb the generic stuff - and HMOs are notorious for prescribing generic only). Also, most folks don't absorb the medication if not taken on an empty stomach and coffee and other medications can also impede absorption.

Hypothyroidism can doom you to major mood swings, anxiety, sleeplessness, lethargy, exhaustion, dry skin, loss of bone density and libido, hair loss....et cetera, et cetera if you don't pay attention. My best advice is to please pay attention to your body. Weight loss IS possible as long as you're appropriately treated and you aren't being under or over medicated. The good news is that if it's treated appropriately, you lead a very normal life. The bad news is that so many folks assume every doctor is an expert in this area and they aren't. Good luck to you - you can make this work if you're assertive in dealing with the health care providers. Took me 20 years to learn that lesson.
  • SheFitWalks
    SheFitWalks Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Having 2 kids under 5 probably gives you lot of exercise! :) I do know that purposefully doing some exercise for yourself will give you more energy and then you will be able to adjust your exercise level to help you lose weight. Once I have my energy level up a little, it's easier to think "Hey, I can do this!" Wonder if your little ones would like to try to exercise with you? Sounds like fun in the making. And it may tire them out for a good nap.