I would like an honest opinion on my body and goals?

Options
I'm going to post a before picture where you can see my body. I want to lose some fat and tone up. I want to know if my arms look big (honestly). I never want to work my arms out because I think they'll get bigger :/. I don't think ill become a rectangle because I have big hips with mu bone structure. I'm 5'7, and 157 (I want to be 135). I'm looking for tips and advice for people who have (or have had) my body type. Advice in general.

I'm doing weight training and cardio at least 5 times a week. I'll go take and add a picture now.

Replies

• Jessicahanzlik
    Jessicahanzlik Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have spiked to 161lb in the summer. Your goals are perfectly realistic!!! I'm 5'4, 148lb. If I can do it, so can you :) Focus on the calories!!!! That's what my issue has been. I cut my calories and lost 3lb, the I started to work out and lost 5lb more!!! The weight is falling off, and the key is to stay at 1200, if not less! That's what has worked for me.

WATCH THEM CALIORES, EXERSIZE (MAINLY RUNNING, TONES ENTIRE BODY)
  • Fedup23
    Fedup23 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You look great and in very good shape.. your arms are pretty ripped ..love the headband too. The girl looks good too.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Based off of what I have seen hit the weights! The dieting and cardo is great too but honestly I think you are in line with alot of those success stories I have seen where they didn't really lose much weight at all but started lifting and got smoking hot! For what its worth I think you look pretty durn good now though too :)
  • gymgirl3590
    Options
    To clearify I am the girl :P. And thank you for the reply's so far, I finally got my before pic up :)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Your arms do not look big from your profile. They look normal. Lifting while dieting will not make them bigger.

Also, there's nothing wrong with "big" muscular arms. Mine are 12".
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    You look like you carry some of your fat on your arms (like I do). Honestly, dropping fat while defining the muscle through strength training will make them lean out and have a great shape.
  • raingirl21
    raingirl21 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    MHO is that 135 might be a little low for your height. I'm 5'5" and my trainer recommended 135-140 for me. You could also ask your doctor what weight he/she thinks is healthy. Also pay attention to your BMI.

Also I've been lifting weights because I thought my arms looked big and flabby and they are actually shrinking and look more defined. So don't worry about lifting weights! You won't "bulk up" like guys do, you will like what weights will do to your arms and the rest of your body! :smile:
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    My arms only started to look slimmer once I started lifting. You're a girl - no way will you get bulky without chemical help. :)
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Your arms look symmetrical relative to the rest of your body. In other words, they appear proportional.

Why are you focused on your arms, though? What has lifting done for the rest of your body? Surely, the rest of your body didn't get huge by lifting.
  • gymgirl3590
    Options
    Okay, to answer why I'm so conscious of my arms... I was a competitive optional gymnast until I broke my back when I was 18. So I was very lean but muscular in high school because you need the muscle. The abs and legs were great but I was stronger than all my high school boyfriends. I felt like they were big, now there's a layer of fat on that. It just emphasizes something I was already uncomfortable with.

My doctor told me 135. She's also got a totally different build than me so I have that goal with a grain of salt.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options
    Okay, to answer why I'm so conscious of my arms... I was a competitive optional gymnast until I broke my back when I was 18. So I was very lean but muscular in high school because you need the muscle. The abs and legs were great but I was stronger than all my high school boyfriends. I felt like they were big, now there's a layer of fat on that. It just emphasizes something I was already uncomfortable with.

You're not in high school anymore. If you arms are bigger and/or you are stronger than any man, the problem is really his, not yours. He has a HUGE natural advantage to be strong and big. If he's not using it, not your fault.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    MHO is that 135 might be a little low for your height. I'm 5'5" and my trainer recommended 135-140 for me. You could also ask your doctor what weight he/she thinks is healthy. Also pay attention to your BMI.

Also I've been lifting weights because I thought my arms looked big and flabby and they are actually shrinking and look more defined. So don't worry about lifting weights! You won't "bulk up" like guys do, you will like what weights will do to your arms and the rest of your body! :smile:

Um, what?

I'm 130lbs at 5'7 and am not even close to being underweight.

OP, I started at 157lbs and have reached 130lb. I think you're goal is fine and your arms look fine. Keep up what you're doing.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options
    135 is a good goal.

I'm 5'9" and 163. Looks like I have a similar build (large frame) as you do. I've been 145 and that wasn't too skinny for me (and I think "they" say 5lbs per inch of height so it'd be about the same as you at 135).
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I have spiked to 161lb in the summer. Your goals are perfectly realistic!!! I'm 5'4, 148lb. If I can do it, so can you :) Focus on the calories!!!! That's what my issue has been. I cut my calories and lost 3lb, the I started to work out and lost 5lb more!!! The weight is falling off, and the key is to stay at 1200, if not less! That's what has worked for me.

WATCH THEM CALIORES, EXERSIZE (MAINLY RUNNING, TONES ENTIRE BODY)

This.. All.. Is.. Wrong..

Hit the weights, Eat Correctly for your exercise, this will get you the look you want.. You need to lower your BF% while dropping weight.. not huge deficit in calories and doing all cardio.. you will hit your goal but won't have the body you want... You can still do cardio, but don't have it be the only thing you do.
  • gymgirl3590
    Options
    Good to know about calories in that post being wrong. I've been eating like 1200 to 1500, doing cardio and weight training almost daily (only for a week and a half). I was thinking that was my problem after that post.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options
    Good to know about calories in that post being wrong. I've been eating like 1200 to 1500, doing cardio and weight training almost daily (only for a week and a half). I was thinking that was my problem after that post.

I eat 1800 to 2000 to lose weight.
  • comrade_questions
    comrade_questions Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 6'' and at my heaviest I was 158. I'm currently 148 and my goal is 136. I lost 21 pounds on MFP by eating 1600-1900 and eating back most of my exercise calories. I just started again since I put on weight after I stopped logging for a year or so.