Can you critique my diet and workout plans?

Options
Hi all - I have been lifting and eating at a surplus for a couple weeks now. I am unhappy with the shape of my body though - it has lost all definition. Am I eating too much?

About Me:

5'9"; 135 lbs.; Male; 26

Diet: I have a diet plan that I rotate over 2 days. It looks like this:

Day 1: 2584 calories; 264g Carbs (50%); 106g Fat (20%); 163g Protein (30%)
Day 2: 2582 calories; 253g Carbs (47%); 115g Fat (21%); 169g Protein (31%)

Routine:

Sunday - Upper Body. Bench Press (4x5); Incline Bench (4x12); Lat Pull Down (4x12); Bent Over Row (4x5); Overhead Press (4x12); Dumbell Curl (4x12); Skullcrusher (4x12)

Monday - Lower Body. Squat (4x5); Deadlift (4x5); Leg Press (4x15); Leg Curl (4x12); Calf Extension (4x12)

Tuesday: 7 mile run

Wednesday: Upper Body. Incline Bench (4x12); Dumbell Fly (4x12); Seated Row (4x12); One Arm Row (4x12); Lateral Raise (4x12); Seated Curl (4x12); Cable Tricep Extension (4x12)

Thursday: Lower Body. Front Squat (4x12); Lunge (4x12); Leg Extension (4x12); Leg Curl (4x12); Calf Raise (4x12); Calf Press (4x12)

Friday: 6 mile run

Saturday: 9 mile run

My goal is to slowly gain muscle and strength. Not looking to do a fast bulk that leads to a cut.

How does this look?

Replies

• alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'd eat a little more, you're TDEE at moderate exercise is 2490, I'd adjust that accordingly and then add around 150-250 calories on top of your TDEE. You're workout looks pretty decent. If you are pushing yourself in the gym and getting enough protein and BCAAs you should be fine. Although you look like you do quite a lot of front delt work yet no rear delt, that can pull your shoulders forward and overpower your chest, I know a couple of people who have done this. Face pulls or bent over rear delt raises once a week at least should sort that. Also mix up the exercises you do, don't have a full set plan. Go in the gym and if you feel like starting off with some pull ups just start with some pull ups and if your shoulders are sore maybe miss out some inclines and hit decline bench instead. Instinctive training is always the best way to go about it.

Just waiting for the muppets commenting saying to cut out all isolations and just hit compounds.
  • davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Looks like a good weight routine. Are you experienced in the compound lifts? If not I would recommend something like starting strength or stronglifts and learning proper form to prevent injury. Make sure you're lifting heavy and killing it every workout. These workouts look like some serious volume so you may need more food and lots of rest. I like that you're squatting twice a week, but I tell you I would not be able to run 7 miles the next day if I used an appropriate weight for 4x5 squats.
  • Mikedemarco10
    Mikedemarco10 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi this is a little off topic but I don't know where else to post this im new to this. im a little self conscious. I need oppionions of what you feel i look like. I feel too skinny sometimes. I workout 5 days a week for about 4 years now. My goal now is too lose ten lbs and get to 170 and have a lower body fat %. Im at 9 now id like to be 5-6. Do you think i am to skinny now? Would i look worse ten lbs lighter? Ive been told by people that im in great shape. And ive also been told i was skinny but they said it jokingly so i wasnt sure if they were serious. If you could click on my profile and get back to me it would be great thanks!
  • hartsig
    Options
    I'd eat a little more, you're TDEE at moderate exercise is 2490, I'd adjust that accordingly and then add around 150-250 calories on top of your TDEE. You're workout looks pretty decent. If you are pushing yourself in the gym and getting enough protein and BCAAs you should be fine. Although you look like you do quite a lot of front delt work yet no rear delt, that can pull your shoulders forward and overpower your chest, I know a couple of people who have done this. Face pulls or bent over rear delt raises once a week at least should sort that. Also mix up the exercises you do, don't have a full set plan. Go in the gym and if you feel like starting off with some pull ups just start with some pull ups and if your shoulders are sore maybe miss out some inclines and hit decline bench instead. Instinctive training is always the best way to go about it.

Just waiting for the muppets commenting saying to cut out all isolations and just hit compounds.

Didn't take long for your last point ;)

Good points on how to approach workouts in the gym.
  • davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hi this is a little off topic but I don't know where else to post this im new to this. im a little self conscious. I need oppionions of what you feel i look like. I feel too skinny sometimes. I workout 5 days a week for about 4 years now. My goal now is too lose ten lbs and get to 170 and have a lower body fat %. Im at 9 now id like to be 5-6. Do you think i am to skinny now? Would i look worse ten lbs lighter? Ive been told by people that im in great shape. And ive also been told i was skinny but they said it jokingly so i wasnt sure if they were serious. If you could click on my profile and get back to me it would be great thanks!

Looks fine to me at 9%. 5-6% and you might get some freaky features like face veins, if you want to do it I say go for it. If you like it, great, if not it should be easy to get back up to 8/9%.
  • hartsig
    Options
    Looks like a good weight routine. Are you experienced in the compound lifts? If not I would recommend something like starting strength or stronglifts and learning proper form to prevent injury. Make sure you're lifting heavy and killing it every workout. These workouts look like some serious volume so you may need more food and lots of rest. I like that you're squatting twice a week, but I tell you I would not be able to run 7 miles the next day if I used an appropriate weight for 4x5 squats.

I feel like I get a lot of rest with sitting in an office all day ;) and I aim for a minimum of 7 hours of sleep a night.

There are days after squats where I walk outside and have trouble getting a few feet into a run.
  • Mikedemarco10
    Mikedemarco10 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply and the good advice
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    is there a reason that there is just a two calorie difference between day 1 and 2 or is that a typo?

In my opinion you are over doing it on the long runs, and this is probably leading to losing the muscle mass that you are trying to add.

You may want to back off the distance running and maybe just do two HIIT sessions a week.

Everything else seems fine..I would focus more on compound lifts, but I guess that makes me a "Muppet" or whatever...

I hit legs yesterday and there is no way I could run seven miles today..I will do an HIIT sprint session and some ab work after work though...
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    When do you rest?

And if you're doing heavy squats and lower body work, your runs are going to suffer for it...
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I would recommend varying your diet plan based on your exercise for the day, not just to change it up to stave off food boredom,

You probably want to eat a little more on your running days since you're getting some good mileage in there. I would keep your macros about the same as you have them listed but consume a little more. Also, time your meals so that you have a 70/30 carb/protein snack before your runs and a 50/50 carb/protein snack afterwards.

For your weight training days, you may want to up your total calories but any additional calories should come from protein. Be sure to intake protein directly after your weight training sessions. If you don't increase overall calories, I would lower the amount of carbs and increase the amount of protein.
  • Knsclptr30
    Options
    Do sprint intervals instead of long distance runs for starters. Focus on anaerobic power endurance rather than the muscle wasting aerobic endurance. Leg press and leg curls are not the best choices for isolating the quads and hams in a functional manner. Focus on hip thrusts proper back extensions (see bret contreras videos ) glute/ham curl apparatus one leg stability ball hamstring curls. Front squats sissy squats lunges(front side Angie). Calories a bit on the low side I recommend you looking up carb cycling or zig zag dieting methods. On your heavy training days eat more carbs and total calories on medium days eat a bit less and light training days like sprint intervals(not your kind of incorrect cardio) eat quite a bit less. Example tdee is say 3000 calories high day eat 20% more than tdee 3600 kcals medium day just above that at 3200 and low day 20% lower than tdee 2400 kcals.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Do sprint intervals instead of long distance runs for starters. Focus on anaerobic power endurance rather than the muscle wasting aerobic endurance. Leg press and leg curls are not the best choices for isolating the quads and hams in a functional manner. Focus on hip thrusts proper back extensions (see bret contreras videos ) glute/ham curl apparatus one leg stability ball hamstring curls. Front squats sissy squats lunges(front side Angie). Calories a bit on the low side I recommend you looking up carb cycling or zig zag dieting methods. On your heavy training days eat more carbs and total calories on medium days eat a bit less and light training days like sprint intervals(not your kind of incorrect cardio) eat quite a bit less. Example tdee is say 3000 calories high day eat 20% more than tdee 3600 kcals medium day just above that at 3200 and low day 20% lower than tdee 2400 kcals.

why are front squats "sissy squats"????
  • Knsclptr30
    Options
    Pardon meant quads not glutes
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options

I could be wrong, but it didn't read like he was calling front squats sissy squats. It looked like he meant ... front squats, sissy squats, lunges. But, i could be wrong.

As for the OP, i agree, the long distance running is probably doing more harm than good for what you want to accomplish. It's good for cardiovascular health, but i'd cut it back some.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

I think he meant "front squats, sissy squats, Lunges".
    Comma fail maybe
  • Knsclptr30
    Options
    Correct my impatience with commas on this post lol. They are separate exercises front squats, sissy squats, lunges. In fact to really isolate the quads hams or glutes in a functional manner I have used the combination of heavy duty resistance bands with weights for these. A tremendous activation.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Correct my impatience with commas on this post lol. They are separate exercises front squats, sissy squats, lunges. In fact to really isolate the quads hams or glutes in a functional manner I have used the combination of heavy duty resistance bands with weights for these. A tremendous activation.

got ya, thanks..
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options

Since I really don't know what to tell OP, since I'm not sure about how I'm doing at the present moment, (feel free to critique me also, lol) I guess I'll comment on this guys post. Lol. I would say, from your pic, I would keep your fat, and aim to just gain more muscle. Your arms and abs look good, but maybe you could work your pecs a little. ;) Other than that, I think you look fine. I wouldn't try to get your body fat % down anymore than what it is, I think that would be too skinny, personally. It's really a matter of opinion though, and everyone's opinion will vary. It really just depends on what makes YOU happy. Hope that helped! :/
  • Sandigesha
    Sandigesha Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Macros for clean bulking my man: Protein needs: 1 g per pound of lean body mass. Fat - 0.4-0.5 per pound of lean body mass. Then, take you maintainence calories, add (depends on how clean you want your bulk) 200-500, and get all the rest of the calories throught carbs. Simple, isn't it
  • Sandigesha
    Sandigesha Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Btw I like your program, i might do something similar one day... Many people will start doing it cause of Hodgetwins though.