Shin splints?

Options
How do you deal with these? I'm a new jogger/runner (who can barely do a minute of jogging at a time), but the same night into the next day, my shins, particularly on the insides of my legs (if that makes sense?), are killing me.

Suggestions?

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Stretch, massage, foam roll calves. Work on strengthening your calves. Stand on one leg at a time and write out the alphabet with your foot in the air. Not running much like you describe, could also be your shoes.
  • grace173
    grace173 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you have the wrong running shoes.
  • Shiels1988
    Shiels1988 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I suffer from shin splints well i use to i haven't felt the pain since i started eating a banana before i run and keep dairy out of my diet before i run as well. I also add a little salt to my water bottle afterwards( not even a tsp). My trainer recommended this to me and it has worked wonders. Plus i stretch my legs out a little extra after each run and do a brisk walk as a warm up. Hope this helps!
  • cindymharvey
    Options
    I just started running also! After about 3-4 weeks run/walking on either the treadmill or on a paved trail for 2 miles or less finally my shins aren't hurting! Maybe it just takes a while for the body to get used to it? Now my things are sore (would've thought they would have gotten used to it also by now!) And my knee cap feels like it might crack in half while running (probably not good) OH WELL I just keep going!
    You are super cute -
    I wouldn't at all think you weigh 220 by the picture : >)
  • TDiaz214
    TDiaz214 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    The main problem is the footwear I've found. I don't have a problem with shin splints when I wear my trainers, but with my normal shoes I do.

Also you could be doing too much too soon, ease yourself into it :) . Start with a shorter distance, or put rest intervals within your workouts.
  • hammbone55
    Options
    Might be your shoes. I never had a problem running on a treadmill, but as soon as I ran on the road I would get shin splints. Well I wear different shoes for outside running and treadmill running. I decided to try my treadmill shoes (which are way newer) outside and I had no shin splints. Being dehydrated can also cause shin splints. I also have found that leg strength exercises are very helpful as well. Good luck.
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Make sure you stretch out properly and have proper running shoes - i.e. visited a store where they watch you run to suggest the best shoe for your foot and position when you run.

Icing the shins down after a run could help, rest them for a bit till the pain subsides and then try your run again. If you have proper shoes and you continue to get them, then look into talk with a dr about if there is an underlying issue that could be creating the problem for you.
  • wheels6030
    wheels6030 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Everything everyone else said is great! Also don't forget to ice your shins after you run if they are hurting you at all. The writing the alphabet with your toe is a good thing too!
  • xSirensSong
    xSirensSong Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Stretch, massage, foam roll calves. Work on strengthening your calves. Stand on one leg at a time and write out the alphabet with your foot in the air. Not running much like you describe, could also be your shoes.
    Thank you so much for the advice! I had to look up foam rolling, but it looks like it would help quite a bit.
    I have these:
    lacrossemonkey_2269_138081212
    It says they are running shoes, but I've had them for almost 8 months. Does that make a difference? Also, since the inside of my shins hurt the worst, could I have a type of gait I should shop for?
    I suffer from shin splints well i use to i haven't felt the pain since i started eating a banana before i run and keep dairy out of my diet before i run as well. I also add a little salt to my water bottle afterwards( not even a tsp). My trainer recommended this to me and it has worked wonders. Plus i stretch my legs out a little extra after each run and do a brisk walk as a warm up. Hope this helps!
    I'll have to try these things! Thank you!
    I just started running also! After about 3-4 weeks run/walking on either the treadmill or on a paved trail for 2 miles or less finally my shins aren't hurting! Maybe it just takes a while for the body to get used to it? Now my things are sore (would've thought they would have gotten used to it also by now!) And my knee cap feels like it might crack in half while running (probably not good) OH WELL I just keep going!
    You are super cute -
    I wouldn't at all think you weigh 220 by the picture : >)
    I've been walking briskly for around 3 weeks now almost every day for about 1.5-2 miles. I've started feeling the 'urge' to jog, if you will. Weird, because I've never liked it ever in my life. Now I would LOVE to be classified as a runner! And thank you so very much! That means the world to me! :flowerforyou:
  • TDiaz214
    TDiaz214 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    With the shoes, I'd suggest you could try going to a foot store and seeing if they can pick one out for you based on your running style.

And to ease yourself into a jogging program, have a look at the couch 2 5k program. It's aimed at total beginners and is highly recommended on this site:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Scroll down there .
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are running heel to toe that made a huge difference for me. Oh and good shoes.
  • Shiels1988
    Shiels1988 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i use to have those shoes and i found i had alot of problems with them cause of the arch have you tried a minimal shoe? under armor has a great one that i find amazing and is not overly expensive like so many minimal shoes
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I have these:
    lacrossemonkey_2269_138081212
    It says they are running shoes, but I've had them for almost 8 months. Does that make a difference? Also, since the inside of my shins hurt the worst, could I have a type of gait I should shop for?

(1) just because they are running shoes does NOT mean that they are the running shoes for you. Get yourself to a running store (like Fleet Feet) where they do gait analysis and get properly fitted. Do NOT go to your regular old Foot Locker and the like. Trust me. It makes a WORLD of difference. You don't necessarily need to go minimalist as someone suggested. There are varying "drops" (the difference between the height of your heel and the height of your toe when wearing the shoe) - 10MM drop is "standard", 0MM is "minimalist" - there are also 8MM drops and 4MM drops. I went down to an 8MM drop on my most recent running shoe and love it (although it did take me about 2 months to get used to the lower drop, and it still feels "off" sometimes).

(2) shin splits can be aggravated by heel striking. Make sure when you are running that you're landing on your "mid-foot", NOT on your heel. It will feel awkward at first, but you'll get used to it.

(3) slow down. Go slower than you think you can. "too much, too soon" is a common cause of shin splints - and the too much can be too far or too fast (or both), but since you said you're only running for a minute or two at a time, I'm guessing that you're run pace is just too fast right now. :)

I was super careful about limiting my running pace and distance when I started back up this spring (as in keeping a spreadsheet log), as well as making sure I use a mid-foot strike and not a heel strike, because I had gotten terrible shin splints in the past. Guess what? no shin splints this year! :)

Hope that helps! :)

ETA - and STRETCH! at least 10-15 minutes of deep stretching after your run. :)
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are running heel to toe

:huh: Not if she doesn't want to give herself knee/hip problems. never ever heel strike.
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    As someone who has been sidelined twice with major shin splints here is the advice I can offer you.
    1. IMHO the most important thing you can do when you start running is go to a running shoe store and get a run analysis done . you need to find out if you over/under pronate, heel strike, etc. Get shoes that fits how you run.
    2. download a C25K app and follow it ! You will be tempted at some point to do more than should....dont. excessive distance and speed before you're ready can cause injury quickly.
    3. Focus on form. spend the first few sessions noticing how straight/bent your back is. Learn to land mid foot, dont make tight fists, etc. try and find your 'groove'
    4. Stretch after your run. Later that day ice down your shins, calves. 10 min cold, 10 min no cold for 30 min total.

I have made all of the mistakes one could make starting running, but kept with it. I wish i had asked for advice in the first place and saved myself a lot of problems.
  • spickard34
    Options

:huh: Not if she doesn't want to give herself knee/hip problems. never ever heel strike.

Really I guess I have gotten some bad advise maybe this is why my hip and knee where kind messed up running. What do you suggest? This was advice from my doctor.
  • spickard34
    Options

Really I guess I have gotten some bad advise maybe this is why my hip and knee where kind messed up running. What do you suggest? This was advice from my doctor.

Never mind I just saw your earlier post I will take your advice. Sorry mines was bad it was not meant to be.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    softer shoes and/or softer running surface.

stretch the ankle in all directions and roll it as you would do a neck roll

ice

rest

if you keep up the jogging and get adaquet rest it should go away and not return.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i had terrible knee problems AND shin splints when i first started football.

running exclusively on the balls of my feet was necessary to correct the knee problem, but probably exacerbated the shin splints. but that was related to the same reason it was more comfortable to land flat footed then on my fore foot... the muslces below the knee were far two week and needed to be strengthed.
  • Branawesomer
    Branawesomer Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I suffered from them really bad. what I found has worked is a combination of leg strength training (calf and upper) and running outdoors. When I trail run, they act up a bit but I think it is because I am not used to the up and down of a trail so its hit or miss. Treadmills wreak havoc on em so I try to avoid them at all costs. I really do think the strength training has helped. Maybe you can do some of that?