Vegan OIL-FREE salad dressing recipes needed!

Options
vegan4lyfe2012
vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,150 Member
I am in need of vegan recipes for homemade, OIL-FREE, salad dressing that does NOT have expensive ingredients like tahini or nuts. The ones I'm finding online have too many ingredients and I just want simple, everyday ingredients. Help!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am in need of vegan recipes for homemade, OIL-FREE, salad dressing that does NOT have expensive ingredients like tahini or nuts. The ones I'm finding online have too many ingredients and I just want simple, everyday ingredients. Help!

Good luck on that, the simplest would be a vinaigrette of some sorts, but since you don't want oil you're kinda outta luck
  • jamebb
    jamebb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I realize that this isn't exactly a recipe like you're looking for, but that you're looking for, but what do you have against oil? If it's the calories/fat simply reduce the amount. I've made good vinaigrettes using a quarter to half of what the recipe calls for.

As for the worry about expensive ingredients, yeah stuff like tahini can be pricey, but a little bit goes a long way. Nuts can be used sparingly especially if you toast them beforehand, which will intensify the flavors, allowing you to stretch them. If there's a Trader Joe's near you, they have nuts for really reasonable prices - $3.99 for 12 oz, if I remember correctly.
  • scunningham2012
    scunningham2012 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this yet...but...this site (blog.fatfreevegan.com) is my favorite site and I found this one you may want to try!!

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2010/10/ridiculously-easy-vegan-buttermilk-salad-dressing.html

:)
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I realize that this isn't exactly a recipe like you're looking for, but that you're looking for, but what do you have against oil? If it's the calories/fat simply reduce the amount. I've made good vinaigrettes using a quarter to half of what the recipe calls for.

As for the worry about expensive ingredients, yeah stuff like tahini can be pricey, but a little bit goes a long way. Nuts can be used sparingly especially if you toast them beforehand, which will intensify the flavors, allowing you to stretch them. If there's a Trader Joe's near you, they have nuts for really reasonable prices - $3.99 for 12 oz, if I remember correctly.

I am fine with whole foods that contain fats, like avocado and flax meal. There's no Trader Joe's here. The cheapest I can find nuts around here are $8 per pound and my kids get into them before I can hide any.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

I am fine with whole foods that contain fats, like avocado and flax meal. There's no Trader Joe's here. The cheapest I can find nuts around here are $8 per pound and my kids get into them before I can hide any.

If you're fine with avocado and nuts, what's wrong with a good cold-pressed olive oil? It has the same EXTREMELY healthy fats as avocado, flax and nuts, and it's by far the simplest and (ounce for ounce) least expensive option for a salad dressing. Equal parts olive oil and any kind of vinegar (25 year aged balsamic is my fave) makes an absolutely fantastic dressing that you can then jazz up with any seasoning you want. Olive oil, lemon juice and djion mustard is another good one.

I get wanting to avoid, like, soybean oils and stuff in commercially prepared dressings, but I don't at all understand the avoidance of a moderate amount of olive oil.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I've had balsamic vinegar mixed with a good mustard (I'm a sucker for horseradish). I've eaten it by itself, but it really is less "caustic" if you mellow it with oil. I used to eat vinegar only on my salads, and at one point, the entire lining of my mouth peeled off. Mmm.

Ever since, I've used oil in my salad dressings, and I haven't had any problems. Like someone else said, there's nothing wrong with a little fat. You could also use avocado if you really are just opposed to oil itself. Or some kind of sour cream substitute.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar with dijon mustard and a touch of honey. You can add crushed garlic and other spices to taste. It's a basic vinaigrette without the oil. Personally I often use balsamic straight on salad. It's sweet and tangy and has virtually no calories
    (5 per tablespoon)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,674 Member
    Options
    http://umamimart.com/2011/02/japanify-shira-ae-sesame-tofu-dressing/

There are some traditional Japanese dressing based on pureed tofu. Skip the dashi (tuna stock) to make it vegan. Would add a few drops of soy sauce for compensation.