55lb lost & gaining it back - HELP

Options
I've been here before. I get to goal and gain it back. I get to my first major goal - this time losing 50lbs (!!!!) and I start to gain it back. I can't figure out why I do this! I lose all motivation to keep pushing. Whatever reason I started with doesn't seem good enough any more and I watch my good habits slip away only to be taken over by old habits that won't die.

Life is tough for me right now and I let the stress take over - resulting in poor choices. ARGH! I'm not a defeatist by nature at all and I guess am wondering how any of you have turned things around when you've seen yourself slipping or have completely reverted back to old habits.

Thanks!
B

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    It does take time to let your brain catch up with your progress. I'd suggest trying to go to maintenance for a couple of months, let your body stabilise, show yourself that you aren't starving it, get used to what you see in the mirror, and then reassess.

Remember as well once you stop restricting some of the weight that appears is just water refilling around your muscles etc - around 5lbs worth! So you have to get to goal and an extra 5lbs or so before relaxing :)

I certainly sabotaged myself once I hit goal, the ol' brain going 'ok I've done, now let's party'.. forgetting in a temporary moment of madness that this isn't a 'diet', it's 'forever' and 'lifestyle change'.

You can do it, just give yourself some breathing space before continuing. 50lbs is not to be sneezed at!
  • lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options
    Sounds like most of this is in your head. Bad choices are just that "Choices." It's all about being accountable to yourself.
  • jeanninecurran
    jeanninecurran Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think the answer to this, at least for me, is to stop thinking of this as a diet and instead think of it as a lifestyle. It's ok to eat sweets or high fat food on occasion but not everyday. I think of exercise as part of my daily routine just like brushing my teeth and washing my makeup off at night. I really don't have to fight with myself anymore on the food choices I make. It comes naturally to me now to pick healthier choices. When our food choices become the foremost thing on our minds, that is an indicator that it's a problem and we are obsessing over it
  • Iceberg_Simpson
    Iceberg_Simpson Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine posted this yesterday: “Being overweight and out-of-shape is hard. Being lean and in-shape is hard. Choose your hard.”

You've come so far and done too much hard work to backslide. My suggestion to you is if all of it feels overwhelming, don't focus on the whole thing at once. Focus on one thing at a time. With losing all my weight, I found it helpful to set smaller, more attainable goals rather than focus on the big number. I would set 10 lb goal and then when I met that, I would set another. You only have 36 lbs left. Why not set it for 5 lbs at a time? It seems more attainable and may help you keep focus towards the next.

Also, you know I'm here for you if you need me. :)
  • Event_Horizon975
    Event_Horizon975 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thanks friends! xo