Running Questions

Options
Hi All

Looking for some advice on running. I have been running for about 5-6 weeks and doing the Guardian beginners running program.

I feel it is really good because the program tells you when to walk and when to run. I find when I start running I want to be done with the running and just walk. I can't seem to get into the running (even with music I find I have less motivation). I have been able to run 3-5 mins and I am not tired just bored.

I am wondering how people get "lost" in the running so they aren't concentrating on breathing, being tired, finishing the current mile they are on, etc.

I am motivated and am not quitting/stopping. It isn't my favorite exercise but I still look forward to getting out and walking/running. I just need to figure out how to get "focused" so wondering what people think about or do.

thanks

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    For me its music chioce - I like stuff upbeat and I know the words too so I can sing along in my head, and I like to think about my breathing alot.

I asked a similar question in a forum a bit ago and most people depend on music alot.Some people do books on tape and comedy sessions and stuff like that too. One person mentioned that they count stuff as they go, mailboxes or fire hidrants and stuff, that was a new one for me.
  • fitnh
    fitnh Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Music is huge for me. I need really upbeat music!

Stick with it, over time you won't be thinking about your breathing or what mile you are on and when that day comes it'll be, "wow, I never even thought about my form or breathing etc." It takes a bit....be patient and congrats on being 5-6 weeks into running! :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    For me, it happened pretty naturally once I hit a certain fitness level. I got to the point where my breathing and my stride fell into a fairly natural rhythm - from that point on running as been fun.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I personally can't run with things in my ears. I find by concentrating on my environment and taking that in I just let my mind wander works. I do a lot of my thinking while running. I personally couldn't run with music as it in Someway's defeats the object of running for me which is to get away from everyday life and that includes media such as music
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    For me, it happened pretty naturally once I hit a certain fitness level. I got to the point where my breathing and my stride fell into a fairly natural rhythm - from that point on running as been fun.

This happened for me as well. I think once you start being able to run longer and walk less, you'll get into it a bit more. Try to get some mantras in your head that can push you to keep running when you get that walking feeling. It might help to set little mini goals and increase them as you get better. For example, run for 5 minutes non-stop even if you are feeling tired and then recover with a walk for 5 minutes and repeat. Increase the time for each as it gets easier. Do this three times and you've already got a thirty minute work out in.

I can go with music or without. Running clears my head, releases stress, and just feels so good! The right playlist makes it fun and I enjoy it regardless.

Keep going! You'll get there.:bigsmile:
  • RonW956
    RonW956 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    same thing with me, once i dropped the weight and got into a certain level of fitness it got easier for me. Now I'm going out for 4 mile jogs nearly every day and I'm not feeling as sore as I did during the first couple weeks... Planking exercises and strengthening core the muscles helps a lot too with endurance.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    For me it was once I "let go" and just ran naturally. I don't try and force a pace on my normal running days, nor do I try and control what my body does naturally (armswing, steps, breathing). Music helps too, when you can safely do so.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I dislike running.. but i'm trying to incorporate it.. i'm doing it on a treadmill right now.. which might be why i'm so bored with it. I might try around the block a few times next week. I need to do something... it's good to know it can get "unboring" lol
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If the music had wrong beat pattern for running turnover, you may naturally be following the beat with foot strides, but body is fighting that bad turn-over rate and you aren't comfortable.

Suggest skip the music at first and keep at the 85-95 turnover, or 170-190 steps per minute if you count both feet.

But it almost sounds like you are NOT enjoying it - in which case, don't do this workout.

Since diet is for weight loss, exercise for heart health and body improvement, you don't need this exercise.

You may be more of a lifting person, and want to push some heavy for you weights.

Or perhaps trail running with much more active involvement to not trip would be more exciting.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I didn't enjoy it until I was able to run without walk intervals. Before that I was constantly barganing "just run to that telephone poll, if your run interval isn't over and you still want to stop and walk, go ahead."

Now I can run 15 miles without walk breaks.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Sometimes for me it takes a good 2-3 miles into my run to really get into the flow and have it not feel like work. It depends on how tired/ how my eating was/ the weather (humid)/ negative self talk. I've found the negative self talk is the biggest killer of a run out of every other thing that can make it feel hard. I usually find my mind wandering to other things that are going on and find that some of my best problem solving/soul searching is done while I'm running.

So be nice to yourself, and every time you think to yourself (or say it outloud... I'm THAT crazy person talking to herself on her run sometimes) check yourself and make it something positive. So instead of going "ugh my legs are tired and I still have x amount of miles left before I can stop" Think "just keep going, you've already done x amount of miles and survived, and I can do this!" or something along those lines. Another one that I've come to love to use: On my long runs where I'm doing an out and back I'll pick a certain mile marker and tell myself that just push through and once I reach mile x then if it still feels this hard I can turn around and go home. I never end up turning around, usually by the time I reach that marker I'm like ehhhh what's a nother couple miles and then I'll complete what I came out here for!
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    So I will throw my two cents in here. This is not right or wrong, just personal opinion but it's a personal opinion of a former pack a day smoker who loathed...I mean loathed running.

First off, congrats! You've completed the hardest part and that is getting going! Most people don't even get that far. So you're doing good.

I agree with a lot of what was said here. Your fitness level definitely helps, but you also have to find your own pace. Don't worry about how fast you are running, or even how far. Go at a pace where you can actually talk. What I like to do is kind of sing, really mouth the words to a song (if I'm running alone). If I can do that with no problem, then I'm on a good pace. Some days it's faster, some days it's slower but it doesn't matter.

The key is to relax. It's really that simple. Learn to relax when you run. If you're tense, you'll never find that zone. Learn from other runners. If you have a local running shop, see if they have running clinics and take a couple. Learn abou the mid-sole, the position of your arms, knees, torso and head.

Once you learn to relax, then the zone just comes. At least to me. I find solace in running. I can lose myself in the music, as some have said or in my thoughts as others said. The zone just appears. I don't will it, I don't force it, it just happens.

Now I will say one thing in regards to the zone. I could never find it before I really started running. The reason? I wasn't running long enough. It takes me about 10-15 minutes before I'm really in the zone. Before I'd be lucky if I could run 5 minutes straight. So if you're running under ten minutes that may be why you haven't found it yet.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    A lot of people touched on things that were true for me. When I first started (with the C25K Program) it was more about the satisfaction of "I am really doing this", "I just ran 5 minutes straight", "I just ran 20 minutes straight etc.".

I do use music as well and it must be upbeat. Many songs on my running playlist are not my regular music taste, but it keeps my legs moving. While I listen to audiobooks throughout the day, it's not motivating enough to keep me moving through a run.

As my fitness level improved, was running longer distances and wasn't watching the clock/anticipating the break etc., my runs began to just flow. My mind would drift - I do a lot of planning and thinking on my runs. Not every run is like this, though - I don't always get the "runner's high".

But like someone else said the first 2-3 miles really are the toughest. Your body is still trying to get into the groove and get the breathing pattern down. This will dissipate as your fitness level and endurance improves.

Don't give up. You've come this far, challenge yourself to see where it takes you!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Where are you running? I can't last 5 minutes on a treadmill, but put me outside (a trail is even better!) And I am a beast
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Once you have more experience running, know your body, your paces, your mind, you will just go out and "run" while you are starting your are concentrating on learning something new. It will come. I finished a 20 mile training run on Sunday, and when I got back I didn't think "I'm tired" "glad to be done" nothing like that it was "OMG, I still love running".
    Just enjoy the journey.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Where are you running? I can't last 5 minutes on a treadmill, but put me outside (a trail is even better!) And I am a beast

I'm the same on a TM - I despise them. I am lucky if I last 30 minutes, but I can go hours outside.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to get lost in running when I'm not doing intervals, or at least doing longer intervals. It takes me at least 5 minutes to get into the groove and find my stride, so 3-5 minute intervals would just be like runnus interuptus. :laugh:
  • jen4relient22
    Options

Yep, this. since i have lost the weight (only around 20lbs), i have seen such a huge difference with running. i used to never really get at a point where i could just run without thinking about it... now i can go much farther than i ever thought possible (regularly run 10k when i thought i couldn't go more than 3 miles!) and at a much faster pace. i credit all of the zumba and hour long workouts for increasing my overall fitness level and stamina. i personally don't like listening to music because it throws off my breathing, but if you're bored then it's worth a try!
  • jay10587
    jay10587 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Sometimes for me it takes a good 2-3 miles into my run to really get into the flow and have it not feel like work. It depends on how tired/ how my eating was/ the weather (humid)/ negative self talk. I've found the negative self talk is the biggest killer of a run out of every other thing that can make it feel hard. I usually find my mind wandering to other things that are going on and find that some of my best problem solving/soul searching is done while I'm running.

So be nice to yourself, and every time you think to yourself (or say it outloud... I'm THAT crazy person talking to herself on her run sometimes) check yourself and make it something positive. So instead of going "ugh my legs are tired and I still have x amount of miles left before I can stop" Think "just keep going, you've already done x amount of miles and survived, and I can do this!" or something along those lines. Another one that I've come to love to use: On my long runs where I'm doing an out and back I'll pick a certain mile marker and tell myself that just push through and once I reach mile x then if it still feels this hard I can turn around and go home. I never end up turning around, usually by the time I reach that marker I'm like ehhhh what's a nother couple miles and then I'll complete what I came out here for!

You must be my long lost running twin..I am the exact same way....word for word!:drinker:
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I listen to books on tape through a bluetooth headset, and it makes me look forwarding to "reading" a great book while I'm running.