Feeling Frustrated

Options
I am currently training for a half-marathon that takes place in the middle of November. I've had to take it particularly slow, because I have bad knees, and they don't like me running. When I first started training, even though I was walking, I injured my knee. So I went out and bought better shoes with a lot more support in them, and I wear knee braces every time I run, no matter what.

However, the new shoes caused me to get a blister on the back of one of my heels. This in turn caused me to inure my knee again, because my stride was so screwed up from the pain from my blister. So I side-lined myself from the treadmill for two weeks, and only used the elliptical and the bike.

Now my blisters are healed, my knees are fine, and I went back on the treadmill. But now the area in between my inner ankle and my Achilles tendon hurts! It's like a never ending stream of injuries!

I'm so frustrated. I'm jealous of all those people I see at the gym who can just use the treadmill and not have problems. I want to be like them. I just want to be able to run, and have my body accept it, instead of trying to bring me down at every turn. I'm not giving up. I will do this. I just needed to vent my frustration.

Replies

• faith_76
    faith_76 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Did you get fitted for your shoes or did you guess? Everything from knee injuries, blisters, heel pain, arch pain, etc. could all be due to that. Running socks are good to help prevent blisters also. Lots of stretching, roll your foot on a tennis ball or frozen water bottle to help with aches and pains. I have to sleep with a compression sleeve on my left foot or else when I wake up and try to walk I feel like I stepped on a dang lego.
  • KateGifford
    KateGifford Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Did you get fitted for your shoes or did you guess? Everything from knee injuries, blisters, heel pain, arch pain, etc. could all be due to that. Running socks are good to help prevent blisters also. Lots of stretching, roll your foot on a tennis ball or frozen water bottle to help with aches and pains. I have to sleep with a compression sleeve on my left foot or else when I wake up and try to walk I feel like I stepped on a dang lego.

I did get fitted for shoes. The ones I have even have extra support in them now. And I actually do have those running socks! They have helped immensely. I still use Vaseline as well. I haven't really done any stretches for my ankles. I'll look into that. Thanks! I'm constantly wearing knee braces to keep my knees from getting worse. I just have bad knees. There's nothing much more I can do about it, I don't think. :(
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is not what you would like to hear, but if you have continuous knee problems you maybe should see a doctor to find out what your problem is all about and then exercise accordingly.....maybe even do something that does not include running.
    It seems unfair if we set our hearts on something specific, but sometimes to maintain overall health we have to make sacrifices in certain areas.
    I was an enthusiastic and committed weight lifter and had to give it up because of RA. I miss it still every week ( instead of every day ) or so, but know I am better for it now.
    I hope you find out what is wrong with your knees, wish you good luck and enjoyment in whatever you do to stay fit.
  • KateGifford
    Options
    Maybe this is not what you would like to hear, but if you have continuous knee problems you maybe should see a doctor to find out what your problem is all about and then exercise accordingly.....maybe even do something that does not include running.
    It seems unfair if we set our hearts on something specific, but sometimes to maintain overall health we have to make sacrifices in certain areas.
    I was an enthusiastic and committed weight lifter and had to give it up because of RA. I miss it still every week ( instead of every day ) or so, but know I am better for it now.
    I hope you find out what is wrong with your knees, wish you good luck and enjoyment in whatever you do to stay fit.

Right now, actually, my knees are fine. It's my ankles that are the problem now. It just seems as soon as I get one problem under control, my body has to find something else to take its place. :/
  • nikkiclaire123
    Options
    for me it took 1-2 months for my body to adjust to running. at first my hips hurts, then my feet, then my knees, then shins, then ankles, then knees again. i pushed trough and my body is fine to run now. i just had to push through.

maybe you jumped in the deepend too fast and pushed yourself too hard. i find training on the eliptical helps me stay in shape while im injured
  • KateGifford
    Options
    for me it took 1-2 months for my body to adjust to running. at first my hips hurts, then my feet, then my knees, then shins, then ankles, then knees again. i pushed trough and my body is fine to run now. i just had to push through.

maybe you jumped in the deepend too fast and pushed yourself too hard. i find training on the eliptical helps me stay in shape while im injured

That definitely sounds familiar. I'm just so frustrated, because I have been taking it really slow, and I still keep getting injured. I just have to be more patient, I guess..
  • WhyDelilah79
    WhyDelilah79 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I seem to be the same on a lesser scale. I only started out 2-3 months ago. One of my ankles hurt for a bit. That got better and then I pulled a muscle in my arm at a Pilates class!! Then my ankle hurts again, then I get a massive blister on my palm meaning I can hardly do anything like push ups or yoga. Now my ankle is hurting again! Very annoying.