Need help finding a protein shake I can have...

Options
And that doesn't taste like CR*P! lol

I can't have gluten or dairy (doctor's orders, not a fad diet) so I had to give up my favorite whey protein shake.

I tried a Trader Joe's soy protein shake, but it tasted like chalk and I will NEVER drink it again!

So, can anyone give me any ideas of a TASTY egg, soy or rice based protein shake (or some other option that I just don't know about...)?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I've not tried the non-Whey proteins at TrueNutrition, but you can get protein there from a ton of different sources, and their flavors are awesome. My thought would be whether or not they dissolve as well as whey.
  • shawnakrebs
    shawnakrebs Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    At Walmart, they have Natureade Total Soy Meal Replacement Powder, Chocolate. I use it and I like it a lot. I use it with Vanilla Soy or Almond milk and mix other things like Strawberry exctract, banana's and PB. It is reasonably priced as well. I don't know what price you are willing to pay, but beachbody has Shakeology and they have a Vegan protein powder. I have heard those that use it love it.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Punky, I LOVE EAS Soy Protein powder in chocolate or vanilla. I add it to unsweetened chocolate or vanilla almond milk and throw in a tablespoon of nut butter. If I want a little more texture, I throw in a tablespoon of cacao nibs. Today I made the shake with a cup of frozen sliced peaches. It's so good and very milkshake-like. I use a little personal blender to make it frothy.
  • tearsinger
    tearsinger Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Natural Whey is GF. About Time Whey is GF and you can by single serve samples from their website
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    EAS Chocolate fudge. It's soy protein. I think it tastes good. I drink that rather than whey when I want fewer carbs.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    theres vega sports protein kinda pricy what about hemp protein i'm not sure what in it
  • CaraRahl
    CaraRahl Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I agree with michael1976_ca...my go-to protein powder is Vega Sport in chocolate mixed with dark chocolate almond milk, although the berry flavour mixed with regular almond milk is also amazing (I prefer the taste mixed with almond milk as opposed to water, but that's just me)
  • SlimAtSixty
    Options
    I enjoy hemp protein. Very nutritious! Hemp is a seed with a nutty flavor. Highly digestible.
    https://store.nutiva.com/hemp-protein/
    There is a one serving size, but the site says it is sold out? Maybe a local store has the one serving size for you to try. I got mine at Wegmans. A health food store should have it. Nutiva. 15 gms protein in a serving.
    Another yummy shake is one I get from my chiropractor/nutrition doctor and it is gluten and lactose free. It comes in different flavors like vanilla, chocolate and strawberry and orange (haven't tried the last 2) The nutritional content is excellent and it has probiotics and enzymes. It's called Solutions4. 20 gms protein in a serving (and 180 calories :).
    www.solu4.com
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I like EAS carb control Strawberry is my favorite. : D
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    I like EAS carb control Strawberry is my favorite. : D

THIS! ALLL the flavors of EAS carbAdvantEdge are AWESOME
  • meredith0414
    meredith0414 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I really like the Genisoy Vanilla Soy Protein powder. It's not super grainy and no bad after taste. I love to mix it with frozen peaches and plain or vanilla greek yogurt.
  • Yogarunner21
    Options
    I like vega performance protein in chocolate or vanilla. My fave is to mix the vanilla flavor with a little bit of ground cinnamon and it tastes awesome (but I'm a huge fan of anything cinnamon-sugar flavored so that's why I add it in). Like one of the posters above, I mix it with almond milk but I split it 50/50 with almond milk and water because i think it mixes a little better. It's a tad pricey, true, but I keep a look out on Amazon for prices and sign up for Vega's newsletter because they'll have 20+% off sales, so I'll buy a few tubs at once to save.
  • annabellep1
    annabellep1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Maybe give up on pre-made protein shakes and make your own smoothies. Use a coconut or almond milk base, frozen fruit, and experiment with non-dairy proteins that don't contain gluten, like the hemp seed suggestion. Combinations like hemp, spirulina, flax seed, and poppy seed, along with fruits & vegetables that contain protein may work best.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Jay Robb has an egg based protein, and you can always do almond or coconut milk :)
  • lilylux
    lilylux Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    http://www.iherb.com/Garden-Greens-Protein-Shake-Energizing-Drink-Mix-Double-Chocolate-Flavor-15-8-oz-450-g/13483

I can't see if it says Gluten free. But this is possibly the BEST tasting vege protein EVER!

Edit - sorry it says contains gluten :( damn and milk. Seriously I thought this had none of that in there!
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options