Calories in microwave popcorn?

Options
2»

Replies

• JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I had half a bag of "cinema sweet" yesterday and it came in at 202 cals. It was on the box- what's so complicated?

It was good, I love popcorn
  • OffTheBeatenPath
    OffTheBeatenPath Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a microwave popcorn popper and I just make my own. I prefer to know what is being put on my popcorn. I think it tastes better without all the extra crud anyway.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Switch to kernels in the jar instead of in the bag. Just measure out how much you want - you can add your own butter and salt if you really want, and you know exactly how much you're adding.

And it's pretty.

Popcorn.jpg

That's very pretty .... how does it taste?

I've had black popcorn (yummy ... tastes like white popcorn). I much prefer white popcorn over yellow. White popcorn is more tender (I think).
  • TeaBea
    Options
    I have a microwave popcorn popper and I just make my own. I prefer to know what is being put on my popcorn. I think it tastes better without all the extra crud anyway.

Is it the Presto Popper? Love mine....... it's so good.
  • OffTheBeatenPath
    Options

Yes, mine is a Presto Popper and I absolutely LOVE mine. It makes the most awesome popcorn ever.

What I don't understand is they say that a bag of microwave popcorn is 70 calories. My Presto Popper pops 1/3 cup at a time. The popcorn bags that I have says that 3 tablespoons is a serving of un-popped popcorn. When I make my popcorn I am popping basically just a little bit under two servings of popcorn. If that is 240 calories (rounding it up to two servings to make it easier) then how can a bag of microwave popcorn that makes about the same amount of popcorn only be 70 calories? I mean the microwave bag popcorn has all that extra junk, butter and everything else. Mine is JUST the popcorn nothing else, there is NO way the microwave popcorn can have less calories than mine.

I mean are they getting their popcorn from a magical popcorn fairy that removes the calories? I mean if they do I want to know where the hell this fairy is!!!
  • NewMnky1
    Options
    I buy a box that only has 100 calorie bags in it, so I don't have to try and figure it out. Yes they are smaller but at least I know exactly what I am getting.
  • TeaBea
    Options

Yes, mine is a Presto Popper and I absolutely LOVE mine. It makes the most awesome popcorn ever.

What I don't understand is they say that a bag of microwave popcorn is 70 calories. My Presto Popper pops 1/3 cup at a time. The popcorn bags that I have says that 3 tablespoons is a serving of un-popped popcorn. When I make my popcorn I am popping basically just a little bit under two servings of popcorn. If that is 240 calories (rounding it up to two servings to make it easier) then how can a bag of microwave popcorn that makes about the same amount of popcorn only be 70 calories? I mean the microwave bag popcorn has all that extra junk, butter and everything else. Mine is JUST the popcorn nothing else, there is NO way the microwave popcorn can have less calories than mine.

I mean are they getting their popcorn from a magical popcorn fairy that removes the calories? I mean if they do I want to know where the hell this fairy is!!!

LOL! I know what you mean .... no way a bag of popcorn is 70 calories. One cup of air popped popcorn is 30 calories ......so a 70 calorie bag must be really small.
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You have to look at how many cups are made by each unpopped serving (should say it on the bag) then multiply the number of cups by how many servings in the bag then multiply the number of total cups in the bag by the amount of calories in 1 cup popped. It should come out to 350-400 calories per full sized bag, depending on brand/flavor.
  • aprilsibley
    aprilsibley Posts: 13 Member
    Options

My favorite part is the semi-popped kernels in the bottom of the bag. It's like a treat of a few Corn Nuts with your popcorn :-)

They sell these now! It is a brand called "Half Pop" and they sell them at The Fresh Market! I LOVE THEM! :love:
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    What I don't understand is they say that a bag of microwave popcorn is 70 calories.

No, nobody says that. At least nobody who knows what they're talking about.
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options

My favorite part is the semi-popped kernels in the bottom of the bag. It's like a treat of a few Corn Nuts with your popcorn :-)

They sell these now! It is a brand called "Half Pop" and they sell them at The Fresh Market! I LOVE THEM! :love:

Seriously?! :noway: :love:
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    If you want to figure out for the whole bag the simple way is to do: servings unpopped x servings per bag

I agree, it's overly complicated but I'm guessing it's done this way because it's impossible to really predict the servings per bag popped since not all the kernels pop depending on how long you cook the bag.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Now Im hungry for popcorn
  • arkansas300
    arkansas300 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Not sure. You are hurting my brain. Is this a brain teaser question?
  • OffTheBeatenPath
    Options
    Ok so a friend of mine buys the sweet and salty kettle corn popcorn bags. She said that they only have 70 calories in a bag. I took the box, pencil, and paper to figure this quandary out.

So 2 Tablespoons is one serving which makes 4 cups popcorn.
    2 Tablespoons un-popped is 170 calories.
    1 cup popped is 35 calories.
    There are 2.5 servings per bag.

My friend says that 1 bag has 170 calories. I didn't believe this so I did some math. They sure don't make it easy to figure this out. It's like a mind boggling puzzle.

So 2T makes 1 serving. Each serving is 4 cups. There are 2.5 servings.

So 4 cups times 35 calories is 140 calories.

You then take 140 calories times 2.5 servings which is 350 calories.

So no microwave popcorn is not a good calories conscious snack.