Replies

• skyby7
    skyby7 Posts: 8
    Options
    Yes, full of estrogen.
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I think the vote's still out on this issue (or, at least, there's not much agreement). Soy, which is a legume, contains isoflavones which are changed in the body to phytoestrogens, similar to estrogen. For a balanced review, check out:

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/phytochemicals/soyiso/
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Have looked into this and the best conclusion I could come up with is moderation is the key, which is not a bad thing as variety is a good thing.

Fermented soy seems to be free from the negative qualities that have been discussed.

I try to keep my soy intake moderate as a vegan by lets say I have tofu or soy based mock meats, than I have protein powder that is derived from other sources such as hemp or rice and have swapped out my soy milk for almond milk.

Not going to even bother posting studies as most are undecided and a lot contradict each other.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    For me? Yes.

If I eat too much soy I get muscle cramps all over my body, and it hurts to pee.

I really wish I knew why, but since I don't know why that happens, no soy for me.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if I should venture into soy burgers and such. I recently just found out I am severely allergic to Gluten and Milk. I have no allergies to Soy, but have heard from so many doctors that soy is bad for you and also from other doctors that soy is good for you....

So does anyone know? Is soy bad or good for you? lol

It depends on how much you have. There are significant health benefits associated with soy.
    However, there is such a thing as "too much of a good thing", and more than seven serves of soy per day is not so good for you.

http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/soy/

kind regards,

Ben
  • jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    In moderation it's likely okay. Soy is a source of phytoestrogen, which can act just like regular estrogen in your body (breast growth and an increased chance of getting breast cancer). Also, soy is one of the most genetically modified crops grown in the world, so there is a lot of concerns about that too.

NO, FALSE. phytoestrogens do NOT act "just like regular estrogen in your body" and "cause breast growth and increased chance of getting breast cancer." They do not work the same way as natural estrogen, and increased soy intake is correlated with LOWER breast cancer risk. This sounds like something out of a spam email...

Interesting, because that's NOT what my oncologist told me. Or what my friends' oncologists told them either for that matter.

If you have a history of breast cancer, I'd watch your soy intake. If you don't, you're most likely fine.

So have these oncologist also told you to limit your meat, dairy and egg intake? Because those sources have animal estrogen in them.

Are you an oncologist specializing in breast cancer? Have you saved my life recently? Didn't think so...

Damn, get someone a bucket of ice water for that serious burn............check and checkmate, she shoots she scores..........if this was Call of Duty, she just nailed the headshot and dropped the teabags on you.

Okay, thank you, I'm done with the analogies.
  • Fitbit184
    Options
    It's not "BAD" for you....

But you will find that many people choose not to consume it (and corn) due to the "GMO/political/as$hats at Monsanto" reasoning behind it.

+1:drinker:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

But you will find that many people choose not to consume it (and corn) due to the "GMO/political/as$hats at Monsanto" reasoning behind it.

This is misinformation. GMO soy is used for food additives. You'll get more of it by eating processed foods that make no mention of soy on the labels. Things like soy milk, tofu, miso, edamame, etc. are not GMO.

If you want to avoid the Monsanto GMO soy you need to give up junk food, not soy foods.
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    What do people think about dried soya beans, cooked?
    I use the organic ones, and have a serving of them 2 or 3 times a week.
    They've a load of protein in them.
    This sort of thing:
    soybean+-+1A.JPG
  • bcattoes
    Options
    What do people think about dried soya beans, cooked?
    I use the organic ones, and have a serving of them 2 or 3 times a week.
    They've a load of protein in them.

I think they are a heatlhy addition to a balanced diet. I'm not a fan of the taste, except when mixed with other beans, but I eat dry roasted edamame just about everyday for the protein (and I like them). Soy is a complet protein source.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I have no agenda against soy. I've been a vegetarian for more of my life than not, and I really love soy products. Tofu burgers, soy milk, soy nuts, soy protein powders, soy protein burgers, tofu in stir fries--I love it all.

Unfortunately, when I consume a lot of soy at once, I get hormonal issues. I discovered this on accident when I decided to experiment with lower calorie non-dairy milks and wasn't buying premade vegetarian products. I wasn't trying to see if soy affected me or not, it wasn't even on my radar, so I don't think there's any self-fulfilling prophecies going on. The problems I was experiencing cleared up quite a bit when I wasn't consuming soy. I recently was eating too much of it again because it was an easy protein fix, and the problems came back.

What I do now is try to reserve soy for cravings--I will buy a pack of tofu burgers when I really want them, and I'll buy a soy latte when I'm out or get soy protein powder if I buy a smoothie. But for home, I buy other non-dairy milks and yogurts and use other protein sources and protein powders. I'm not going to not get awesomely prepared tofu when I'm out to dinner, and I'll never stop getting soy milk in coffee drinks (that I don't make myself at home). So I just don't keep it around me at home to provide some balance.

Bragg's Liquid Aminos tastes exactly like soy sauce with no soy. Make any swaps you can like that if you think soy is an issue for you.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

This is misinformation. GMO soy is used for food additives. You'll get more of it by eating processed foods that make no mention of soy on the labels. Things like soy milk, tofu, miso, edamame, etc. are not GMO.

If you want to avoid the Monsanto GMO soy you need to give up junk food, not soy foods.

I don't believe that I delved into any information that would further classify my hatred towards Monsanto (or certain soy-containing foods). I was simply answering a question and trying to shed some light as to why many people choose not to consume stated foods or why they would be getting a bad reputation (along with the estrogen issues stated by many before me).

But, since we're all here... How do you know that the foods you mentioned are not GMO? Not all soy products on the shelves are labeled "organic" (I won't even get started on the organic classification loopholes). Did you raise that soy yourself?... And, if you did, where did your seeds come from? Because odds are they're from a Monsanto company. Unless you're in the business of heirloom seeds. Which many aren't.

Go to your local grower on the side of the road and ask where their seeds came from and you'll get a look like you're from outer space (believe me, I've tried, multiple locations). The fact the Monsanto is quietly buying out many of the seed companies in the US (and many growers are oblivious) is alarming. So THAT'S the reasoning for my above statement.... I don't see it as an agenda, I see it as keeping myself informed.
  • upscalelifedownscalebutt
    Options
    Have you tried fermented soy products? Some are quite yummy.

North America consumes enormous amounts of soy as food additives, so chances are if you eat any prepackaged foods you already consume a fair amount of soy. Tofu, etc in North America can be GMO, and is usually marked if it isn't. In Canada, not sure about the US or other places, organic products cannot be GMO, or be grown within a certain distance of GMO crops.

Soy does have things that act like estrogen, but it is not the only food item that does. I think if eaten in excess they could, and do, cause health problems. Again this is a fairly common issue. Water in excess causes health problems. Breathing in excess causes health problems.

I can't remember the study, but it showed a small increase in breast cancer and another type of cancer (bowel maybe?), but a decrease in other cancers. The fermented type showed a decrease in many kinds of cancers and no significant increase in any kinds. It was the same study that pointed out that North America consumes more soy than Asia. Which I found interesting.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    If you're eating unfermented soy there are also anti-nutrients you have to deal with.
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Soy is bad for some people. Like me, I have an intolerance to soy. I can tolerate very small amounts, but usually both soy and dairy cause me a lot of problems. I bloat, I get horrible cramps, bad headaches, I feel exhausted and I start to lactate. Soy isn't bad for everyone but there are people who need to avoid it when possible. If it doesn't effect you negatively then you should be fine.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I don't believe that I delved into any information that would further classify my hatred towards Monsanto (or certain soy-containing foods). I was simply answering a question and trying to shed some light as to why many people choose not to consume stated foods or why they would be getting a bad reputation (along with the estrogen issues stated by many before me).

But, since we're all here... How do you know that the foods you mentioned are not GMO? Not all soy products on the shelves are labeled "organic" (I won't even get started on the organic classification loopholes). Did you raise that soy yourself?... And, if you did, where did your seeds come from? Because odds are they're from a Monsanto company. Unless you're in the business of heirloom seeds. Which many aren't.

Go to your local grower on the side of the road and ask where their seeds came from and you'll get a look like you're from outer space (believe me, I've tried, multiple locations). The fact the Monsanto is quietly buying out many of the seed companies in the US (and many growers are oblivious) is alarming. So THAT'S the reasoning for my above statement.... I don't see it as an agenda, I see it as keeping myself informed.

The label on all soy that I buy says both organic and non-GMO. I can't even find a brand of soy milk, tofu or edamame that isn't organic and non-GMO. How do you know that anything in the store is what it says it is?

I've never seen soy for sale on the side of the road or in my local farmer's market. But I don't live in a big city.