A Question about artifical sweetners

Options
I am confused on this subject and I was wondering if anyone might have some info that might help. I would also like some opinions on the subject too. Do artifical sweetners keep a person from losing weight? At times I feel like I have to have them to keep me from eating or drinking something I shouldn't. My doctor said it is better to drink Crystal Light than sodas. But others say you should not have them. What do you think?

Replies

• hokiesister
    hokiesister Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am confused on this subject and I was wondering if anyone might have some info that might help. I would also like some opinions on the subject too. Do artifical sweetners keep a person from losing weight? At times I feel like I have to have them to keep me from eating or drinking something I shouldn't. My doctor said it is better to drink Crystal Light than sodas. But others say you should not have them. What do you think?
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    this doesn't really aswer your question, but I avoide them, there are countless reports of peole getting head aches from them. You are better of going for natural forms, like honey, maple syrup etc...
  • sunshine92
    sunshine92 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    well... they're not exactly great for you. i've read that if you consume too much your body could start storing it like real sugar. i use splenda sparingly, but i use stevia a lot. its an all natural sweetener. and its suppose to be good for you google it for more info. you can get a box of 50 packets (like splenda) for $5. i use like i use splenda: in coffee,smoothies,etc. but id artificial sugar over the real thing any day.
  • mholmes
    mholmes Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    this doesn't really aswer your question, but I avoide them, there are countless reports of peole getting head aches from them. You are better of going for natural forms, like honey, maple syrup etc...

*slurp* honey :tongue:

And yes you should stay away from them. There are hundreds of reports stating proven cases where aspartame and sachrin (an ingredient in rat poisoning) CAUSE CANCER. Splenda's your best bet or that setvia stuff. ASPARTAME BAD, SACHRIN BAD... One or both is use din Crystal Light and watch for them in SF gum to...
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options

*slurp* honey :tongue:

And yes you should stay away from them. There are hundreds of reports stating that aspartame and sachrin (an ingredient in rat poisoning) cause cancer. Splenda's your best bet

megan doesn't use any sweeteners... shes sweet enough as she is...:wink:
  • SkinnyMama
    SkinnyMama Posts: 146
    Options
    As a diabetic I use sweetners for many things. I do not know if they keep you from losing weight, but I do know that they can be hard for your body to process. And even though they have 0 carbs and 0 cals, they elevate my bloodsugar, which then requires more insulin, which effects MY weight loss. Your body may respond to them in the same way and treat them like a lite sugar. Crystal Light is a better option because it doen't have the caffine causing the diuretic response, but I do not know if it is better for the sweetners. I would say that if you can go without, that is a good option, but don't replace them with straight up sugar. It's just too many cals. to waste. I try not to use them more than I need to, i.e. if I can go with something unsweetened, I do.
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    and keep in mind that splenda is made with chlorine!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I've done some research, read some studies, and Aspartame and sacchrin aren't great for you, and splenda is a chemically altered form or chlorine. That being said, there has NEVER been any report, not a single one, that has confirmed that any of these cause harm in humans when taken in small doses. 1 report had aspartame causing cancer in rats, but it was later disproved because process or something (I can't remember why, but I'll check and post again). Unfortunately this report gained a giant head of steam before it was disproven, so now it's all over the internet. Now with that being said, NOTHING artificial is very good for you in large amounts, and it HAS been proven in rats that sweet tasting things can hamper the body's weight loss efforts to a degree. But trust me, the FDA would, at the very least, make them put warnings on the labels, if there was any evidence that there is a link to cancer.

as further evidence, the National Cancer Institute put forth this article

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/AspartameQandA

Pretty tough to dispute this one.
  • mholmes
    mholmes Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I've done some research, read some studies, and Aspartame and sacchrin aren't great for you, and splenda is a chemically altered form or chlorine. That being said, there has NEVER been any report, not a single one, that has confirmed that any of these cause harm in humans when taken in small doses. 1 report had aspartame causing cancer in rats, but it was later disproved because process or something (I can't remember why, but I'll check and post again). Unfortunately this report gained a giant head of steam before it was disproven, so now it's all over the internet. Now with that being said, NOTHING artificial is very good for you in large amounts, and it HAS been proven in rats that sweet tasting things can hamper the body's weight loss efforts to a degree. But trust me, the FDA would, at the very least, make them put warnings on the labels, if there was any evidence that there is a link to cancer.

as further evidence, the National Cancer Institute put forth this article

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/AspartameQandA

Pretty tough to dispute this one.

When my grama was diagnosed with cancer they strongly enocouraged her to stay away from MANY things one of which being artificial sweetners. I guess the point is none of us are experts and we can all pull up articles to voice opinions on either side but I'd say in general just to stay away from them period. Honey is a wonderful option... and a few extra cals is better than the headache or possible long term effects of artificial sweetners. Also I've recommended before that to replace sodas try like club soda and fresh fruit squeezed it. Pretty good actually and you can make whatever flavor "soda" you want.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic I use sweetners for many things. I do not know if they keep you from losing weight, but I do know that they can be hard for your body to process. And even though they have 0 carbs and 0 cals, they elevate my bloodsugar, which then requires more insulin, which effects MY weight loss. Your body may respond to them in the same way and treat them like a lite sugar. Crystal Light is a better option because it doen't have the caffine causing the diuretic response, but I do not know if it is better for the sweetners. I would say that if you can go without, that is a good option, but don't replace them with straight up sugar. It's just too many cals. to waste. I try not to use them more than I need to, i.e. if I can go with something unsweetened, I do.

Ummm, they do have calories--found out that this week and posted about it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/19597-splenda-has-calories-arrrggghhhh?hl=splenda#posts-169319
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    When my grama was diagnosed with cancer they strongly enocouraged her to stay away from MANY things one of which being artificial sweetners. I guess the point is none of us are experts and we can all pull up articles to voice opinions on either side but I'd say in general just to stay away from them period. Honey is a wonderful option... and a few extra cals is better than the headache or possible long term effects of artificial sweetners. Also I've recommended before that to replace sodas try like club soda and fresh fruit squeezed it. Pretty good actually and you can make whatever flavor "soda" you want.

I agree, it might be a little sheepish to just stay away from them but lets face it most artificial/ processed stuff is crap, ohh nautral is the way to go, ohh and don't forget maple syrup i read its better than honey as it has mnore minerals in it. so there lol
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I hope nobody gets the wrong Idea with my other post. I'm not saying I like the processed stuff and artificial sweeteners. I just wanted to make it clear that there was no proof that it caused cancer in people. I am all for natural things, heck I eat more veggies and fruits then anyone else I know (except my wife), that's all, just wanted to make it clear.
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    I hope nobody gets the wrong Idea with my other post. I'm not saying I like the processed stuff and artificial sweeteners. I just wanted to make it clear that there was no proof that it caused cancer in people. I am all for natural things, heck I eat more veggies and fruits then anyone else I know (except my wife), that's all, just wanted to make it clear.

sorry banks but we have to take your first answer... and strip you of your super powers
  • SkinnyMama
    SkinnyMama Posts: 146
    Options

Ummm, they do have calories--found out that this week and posted about it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/19597-splenda-has-calories-arrrggghhhh?hl=splenda#posts-169319

Thanks for the info! I just went by the 0 cals on the package. And the carbs, I have always been a very sensitive diabetic, so no wonder the sweetners effect me. Good to know that the packages are not totally true:-)