Loosing Weight to Have a Baby?

Options
I'm 33.
Height: 5'5"
SW: 275.5
CW: 255
GW: 160

I'm 33 years old and have come to the conclusion that so many years of loving good food have left me with a body that doesn't want to have a baby. So. I'm starting this journey. I would like to get down to 160 before I get pregnant. But, I have time against me too...my age isn't getting younger.

Anyone else in the same boat? Add me. :) Let's support each other through it all!

Replies

• DKrisAn
    DKrisAn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons I am losing weight is to have a baby. My husband and I have been married for a little over 3 years. We have been wanting kids for a while now but it is important for me to get to a healthier weight. I am 5'1 at 176lbs as of today. I started this journey at 195lbs. My heaviest weight was 233 when I was 18 years old.

Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • rhiannon_005
    rhiannon_005 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I completely agree about wanting to be healthier to carry a baby. Congrats on your progress so far! You're doing great!
  • adreal
    adreal Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 pounds last year and came off birth control and got pregnant two weeks after coming off. So it will work. I was 235 when I started Jan of 2012 and by Sept I was at 163. Got pregnant gained 60 pounds and am now trying to lose it again. You can do it. It just takes time and a goal. Just remember that when you get preggers you arent eating for two you are eating for one and the baby will get what it needs. Add me as a friend if you have questions.
  • Gemini24K83
    Gemini24K83 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Trying to conceive is what brought me back to MFP. I am ready to be a mom. I've been married for 4 years and we are excited for parenthood. Ladies feel free to add me, as I'm in the same boat. Getting healthy to have a healthy baby.
  • Drkchyld
    Drkchyld Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm on the same journey as all if you ladies. I just got married in August and I was working hard to loose weight for my special day. Now my new motivation is having a baby. I've been making my husband wait for 5 yrs. I'm not getting any younger and I know I have some fertility issues. So I'm wanting to lose about 50 lbs from wherever I am now ( been too scared to get on the scale since the wedding). Feel free to add me!!!!!
  • sandyt_79
    sandyt_79 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm 34 and my husband is 45 we have been married for 3 1/2 years and we have just found out that we cant have kids naturally so we are starting IVF in the coming weeks. I have to learn to give my self needles, I hate needles. :( but really really want a baby..

I need to lose weight and so far its been slow (9 kgs or just shy of 20lbs in 3 months) . But atleast its coming off. Im still classed as obese but hopefully have made enough changes to my eating habits that if I can fall pregnant that I can continue to be healthy during pregnancy.

I wish all you ladies all the best with your dreams of becoming a mum.. x
  • jennileemarie
    jennileemarie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I didn't decide to lose weight just to get pregnant, but it was definitely on the to do list. I went from 212 pounds May 13, 2013 to 154 pounds October 4th 2013. It was too much weight too fast, and my body fought me, the biggest problem was that my period was coming every two weeks! So late August I decided to ditch the pills and drop to losing only about 1/2 lb a week to help my body reset.

Well, we got pregnant in September. My doctor says that losing the weight definitely helped me get pregnant. Losing 10% of your body weight increases your odds of getting pregnant a ton (I don't remember the stat she told me).

Good luck!
  • Artaxia
    Artaxia Posts: 185
    Options
    Try while you're losing weight. As long as you're being healthy, and dieting appropriately...your baby will be fine. :)
  • Siobhan3240
    Options
    I go back and forth on having a baby and I do want another but I want to be at a healthy weight first. I know I cant carry a baby comfortably at my weight. I started at 279. I am currently at 256 and I would like to ultimately be at 140. I am 32 and I know I am not getting any younger but if I have another it will be my last one. Feel free to add me :)
  • aprilwilliams2729
    aprilwilliams2729 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    We're attempting to get pregnant with baby #2. I'm still carrying around 30 lbs from my first pregnancy and I know that it's an issue for me (I have PCOS - fact that losing the weight will help). But I understand the fighting your age too - I'm 34 and my hubby is 41 so we're running out of time. But even a small loss can help!
  • LuckyFur
    Options
    So you're going to lose weight before you get all big and pregnant?
  • aprilwilliams2729
    aprilwilliams2729 Posts: 107 Member
    Options

Some of us can't get "big and pregnant" without losing the weight. I have PCOS (a hormone imbalance) - it took 2 years to get pregnant with our first baby - nothing worked until I lost a bit of weight.
  • TLC7613
    TLC7613 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Right there with ya!
    SW: 202
    CW: 202
    GW: 150-ish

Had a miscarriage earlier this year and made me realize how badly my husband and I want a baby, but this body needs to get into better shape first! I wanna be able to actually SEE that cute baby bump instead of just looking fat lol
  • TLC7613
    TLC7613 Posts: 86 Member
    Options

There's a difference. Baby bumps are more defined on a healthy body and "look" pregnant
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options

Pregnancy doesn't have to = big. I gained 8 lbs and 13 lbs during my pregnancies. I ate the right things, was exercising in moderation, and ended up weighing less after I delivered than I did beforehand.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Extra body fat increases estrogen levels and when hormone levels get too out of balance it can cause infertility. Have you seen that episode of "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant" where the woman got pregnant while losing weight and didn't even know it? She had been so far overweight she wasn't ovulating and menstruating anymore. As she lost weight, her body was able to ovulate for the first time in years and, since she was used to never having a period, she never realized she was pregnant.
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm 36, 5' 9" and started at 237 about a year and half ago. I lost 25 or so then took a break. Got back up to 220 then decided it was time to start losing again. Gotten back down to 210. Want to get as low as I can but would be happy around 185.

But at the same time that I'm trying to lose to be able to have a baby, I'm also looking for Mr. Right to have one with or the $$$ to do it on my own.
  • KristaPetraitis
    KristaPetraitis Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Some of us can't get "big and pregnant" without losing the weight. I have PCOS (a hormone imbalance) - it took 2 years to get pregnant with our first baby - nothing worked until I lost a bit of weight.

I'm in the same boat! My husband and I have been trying for a little over a year now. I have PCOS and am on Metformin and Clomid. My doctor says my weight isn't a factor as to why I have PCOS (I'm smaller than those she usually sees with PCOS), but I still can't help but to think if I lost weight, it could make it easier.
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who has PCOS and while doing some research for myself (about having a baby through iui) I read about a study done at a major institution (can't remember it off the top of my head) that said taking the supplement d-chiro-inositol helped so,etching like 90% of those with PCOS conceive. But we had a hard time finding the supplement, could find inositol but not d-chiro.
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Please don't blame your weight for not being able to get pregnant. It's so few and far between for women that can't conceive because of weight issues and we blame ourselves enough for it in the long run. If you are having a normal period and it's not working, take your fertility into your own hands. It took us 3 & 1/2 years to get pregnant after our first ended in miscarriage. I had regular 26-28 day cycles and I've lost 119lbs, I thought dropping weight would help too. My OBGYN told me point blank the weight loss was great but in the end my eggs weren't maturing properly so they couldn't be fertilized, not at 316lbs, not at 211 and not even if I made it to 136. Please just talk to your doctor if you've been trying and it's not been successful and don't let them **** around and tell you that it's your weight. Check out BabyCenter Plus Size & Pregnant, there are women up to 400+lbs getting pregnant. Of course it's not the healthiest, I'm sure at my height and weight 5'2, 197lbs it's not the healthiest, I'm 14 weeks today but it was healthy enough for a responsible OBGYN and endocrinologist to let me give Clomid a shot while I was working on getting my BMI low enough to safely do IVF. Good doctors won't blame your weight, good doctors will help you figure out the problem and advise you on weight loss needed to pursue treatments safely. Make sure your husband/partner gets tested too. No amount of doing the naughty will work if his sperm isn't up to par.