Motivation to Exercise

Options
I just can't seem to get going. I am keeping up with my meals and calories but I just can't get the exercise routine started.

Replies

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    You have to schedule it in and plan it. You have to find some things you love doing. Having a friend to keep you accountable is a big motivator. I walk with my mom and when I really don't want to exercise, I call her and schedule a time to walk that day.

If you have kids, they're fantastic motivators! My twins work out with me, doing Leslie Sansone. It's hysterical and keeps us all moving. My teenagers bike with me. Surrounding yourself with active people really helps.

You don't need a gym membership but for some people, they enjoy working out at the gym and it keeps them accountable.

So find what you like, find where you like to do it and make appointments with yourself. For a fitter you, it's worth it.
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat right now. I know with me I just have to up and do it. It takes a lot, but when I just put myself in that mode where I just did it without thinking about it, I got it done. My problem now is thinking about it too much, therefore not wanting to do it AT ALL, if that makes sense.
  • 13nicholas
    13nicholas Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Set a very PUBLIC goal. I've had a tough time getting motivated lately. Signing up for a half marathon and publicly stating my goal time has down the trick.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    "The hardest part of going to the gym is going to the gym" -Me.
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    Options
    If eating healthy and exercise are both new to you, start off with just one. It's so much easier to concentrate on getting eating right under your belt, then gradually adding in exercise. I'm here to tell you, I started off with trying to do it all, never really master either one, and gave up. This time, I've taken my time. I got healthy eating in place and when I felt ready and comfortable I added exercise in slowly. I've gone from no exercise at all to running 2.5 miles 6 days a week.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I agree with the public goal idea. Another recommendation would be try a variety of different things until you find something you enjoy, (or hate the least :laugh: ). For me that was kickboxing, I won't miss a class. But I also enjoy Zumba, Aquafit, spin classes....
  • heartcountry
    heartcountry Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The hardest part is always getting started. If you have a friend or someone you can meet after work twice a week to walk with you is always a good motivator and a good habit to get into before getting home. Some people once they are home can't seem to get motivated to leave the house to exercise.
  • MillyFleurs
    MillyFleurs Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    For the first few weeks I followed a 30 minute beginner workout with 30 minutes of playing games on the wii fit. Made it fun while making it a habit and after looking around, found workouts I enjoy without needing the wii fit.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I had to start with short workouts so that I wouldn't overdo and regret the pain that came later, lol. It was also difficult at first to be motivated to set aside a big chunk of time for it, so I did an amount of time that was definitely easy enough to fit in with no excuses.

I still have to tell myself I'll just do 20 minutes some days, btw :) Now I feel like going on once I'm doing it.

And don't jump into something crazy hard and hurt yourself because you haven't worked up to it! I can't tell you how many times I've done that.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    I just can't seem to get going. I am keeping up with my meals and calories but I just can't get the exercise routine started.
    You won't till you really want to.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Nix_Way
    Nix_Way Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Try just walking. If you walk for a couple of weeks then it seems to kinda get the body and mind wanting to do more.
    I started by just concentrating on the eating aspect for a couple of months. Then started to walk around the block at the end of the day. Now I try to go a little farther each day!
    If walkings not your thing.... try out some other forms of exercising. Keep trying till you find YOUR thing. Then it won't be a challenge or just something you HAVE to do, but it will be something you WANT to do!
    Keep up the great logging and food choices! Thats over half the battle right there! :smile:
    Nix
  • itachan
    itachan Posts: 12
    Options
    Start by doing small walks like around the block, park or the mall. It work best if you have someone with you. If is the park and you have a dog that works. Just concentrate on the walk.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    You won't till you really want to.

I'm sorry, but this, this, and this.

I know that poster had a mass of training and experience, but I've had m e g a experience as an out-of-shape exercise dodger with excuse after excuse for decades. This time, I got sick of myself and *I* decided to make changes. *I* don't find the time to run, I MAKE the time. On my days off, I take my son to the bus stop, then come home, get changed & run before anything else. On the days I work (0645am - 7pm), I change in the bathrooms after work & run there before I get in the truck to come home. I run with myself and myself only. Yes, I use an app that connects here to MFP and also to FB, but I know if I want the results, it's up to me. If I don't run, I don't get the benefits. If I do, then I do.