Is half an avocado enough fat for one day?

Options
My diet doesn't include any olive oil or processed foods. I eat a couple nuts throughout the day but usually the majority of my fat is probably the avocado.

Is having half or a whole avocado per day all the fat I need? I am about 120 lbs and 5'7" and I'm trying to lose a few pounds. If I have the avocado should i avoid nuts the rest of the day?

Thanks!

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    5'7" and 120 lbs is already on the low side of healthy. Why are you trying to lose weight?
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    definitely not a half but one is about 30g of fat which IMO is very low but should be okay.

in for others thoughts
  • caligurl9911
    caligurl9911 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thanks i think i'll try to stick to half a day!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    You can prolly do/should do ~50 gr of fat daily.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    why are you trying to lose weight?
  • lebaker310
    lebaker310 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    5'7" and 120 and trying to lose weight...

I am 5'6" 133 pounds and thought I only need to lose a few more pounds...

...this makes me sad and confused.

REGARDLESS, your question was answered but you seemed to ignore it. If that is your only source of fat for the day (half an avocado), that's probably not good (disclaimer: i'm not a doctor). Your body kinda needs fat.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    5'7" and 120 and trying to lose weight...

I am 5'6" 133 pounds and thought I only need to lose a few more pounds...

...this makes me sad and confused.

REGARDLESS, your question was answered but you seemed to ignore it. If that is your only source of fat for the day (half an avocado), that's probably not good (disclaimer: i'm not a doctor). Your body kinda needs fat.
    actually now that you wrote the word doctor...

OP please see a doctor.
  • caligurl9911
    Options
    I know I sound crazy and unhealthy by saying I still want to lose weight but I really just want to lose about 1-2 lbs and lose some fat around my stomach which is my problem area and I was wondering is avocados and nuts would stop that from happening. But I guess since I don't eat any other sources of fats I don't have to limit myself that much and I'll probably try and include nuts in my meals as well and eat salmon for more healthy fats.
  • lebaker310
    lebaker310 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I know I sound crazy and unhealthy by saying I still want to lose weight but I really just want to lose about 1-2 lbs and lose some fat around my stomach which is my problem area and I was wondering is avocados and nuts would stop that from happening. But I guess since I don't eat any other sources of fats I don't have to limit myself that much and I'll probably try and include nuts in my meals as well and eat salmon for more healthy fats.

1-2lbs isn't a whole lot for someone your size. What is your workout routine like?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    You probably require a little more fat than that.

But it sounds to me like you don't need to lose pounds - you're really after changing your body shape. Why don't you work on body recomposition instead of trying to lose weight? You will more likely get the results you're after.
  • LuckyFur
    Options
    I eat a couple nuts throughout the day Thanks!

no

Thank you
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

Eating fats doesn't make you fat. Eating too many calories of anything makes you gain weight. Eating fewer calories than you burn makes you lose weight, even if you consume a good amount of fats.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Your body needs fats to mobilize many vitamins, for your hair and skin health too. Working out, lifting with an adequate diet will help you tone/lose that little body fat.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i eat around 70g of fat per day, it hasnt stopped me losing bodyfat.... (i am 5ft5, 134ish lbs)
  • elsdonward
    elsdonward Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    The fat in an Avocado is full of enzymes which promote wellbeing in our body. It is the closest that you can come to the food of the gods. Eat all of it - it matters not because it is natural, vital and super for you
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    NO, EAT THE WHOLE THING!!... I eat about 70 -90 g of fat a day and not gaining a pound, total myth that fat makes you fat....overeating makes you fat.
  • caligurl9911
    Options
    Thanks and I'll probably try and target tone or do some more strength training to get a more lean look and maybe eat smaller meals throughout the day and I tend to eat a really big dinner sometimes is that bad?
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    thanks i think i'll try to stick to half a day!

half an avocado is only 15g of fat

I don't recommend/ not healthy

a full avocado is 30gs of fat

which is on the very low end of minimum needed and i recommend more but should be sufficient
  • Fitbit184
    Options
    Who can stop at half an avocado?:wink:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

It sounds to me like you don't need to lose any weight - you just need to work on body composition. Don't need to drop any weight. Just turn some of that "skinny fat" into muscle. I am your height but I weigh 10 pounds more than you and I have a flat, defined abdomen. I got it from strength training. :flowerforyou: