The 8 cups of water debate.....

Options
Article from the BBC News website...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24464774

I'm neutral on this subject but know that many aren't......discuss :-)

Replies

• healthieramanda
    healthieramanda Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I just drink however much I feel like, but I have to make a conscious effort to do so otherwise I will drink less than 2 cups of water a day.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I posted the article here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1114621-should-i-drink-eight-cups-of-water-a-day

I'm not neutral. I'm a scientist. I like water, but don't like the radical 'you must drink eight cups' brigade which is founded on misunderstanding.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    I think water comes from many different sources, not just the tap. If my wee is pale straw coloured and I'm not thirsty, it's all good.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I'm not neutral. I'm a scientist. I like water, but don't like the radical 'you must drink eight cups' brigade which is founded on misunderstanding.
    X2
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Medical students drink alcohol - whodathunkit?

"Scientific" study funded by a commercial organisation comes up with recommendations that supports consumption of that commercial organisation's product - whodathunkit?

There isn't a one size fits all amount of intake that suits every single person - whodathunkit?
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I don't think everyone needs 8 glasses but drinking fluids (not diuretic quality) is important for urinary health, constipation, headaches, skin and hair health, confusion, irritability.

Urine should be straw colored. Thirst can be muted by medications and age so people should not depend on that.
  • smelons
    smelons Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely an 8 cups a day girl and probably have more. I'm always thirsty and can drink loads, but worry that I have too much. If I don't have a glass of water to hand, I feel headachy and weak.

P.S. On a side note, lwoodruff - I went to school with you! I was in your sister's year.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I usually drink 3-4 glasses of ice water a day and then water via my green smoothies, cooking etc.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    More than 3-4 glasses a day gives me a migraine and makes me feel like crap.

I drink when I'm thirsty.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    didn't realize there was some great debate and frankly I don't care..I drink when I'm thirsty and stay hydrated...I drink about 1.5 gallons per day...sometimes 2....but I work it like a mofo, so there's that.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I posted the article here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1114621-should-i-drink-eight-cups-of-water-a-day

If you're a "scientist," you should be familiar with the "appeal to authority" logical fallacy.

And shouldn't you be doing some "sciencey" stuff? These forums are too low-brow for you.