Help! LOADS of calories coming up!

Options
Hi everyone.
Please can anyone help? Tonight I'm having a meal with aboyt 700 cals and it's high in fat and carbs too. Nothing I can do about it, it's being cooked for me. I'm having Japanese food for lunch - booked ages ago - so I'm thinking salmon and salmon skin handroll, miso soup and water. I've skipped breakfast which isn't doing me any good and I'm crazy hungry, but I panicked!
On Saturday night we are at a smokehouse for dinner. Normal stuff, puled pork nachos, burgers, ribs etc. They don't do anything like grilled chicken, I already checked.
According to MFP, pulled pork nachos at the Hard rock are nearly 2000 cals per plate! I only get 1200 a day! I was going to have the nachos at the place we are going to as they are a starter so I figured I'd eat less.
I'm really panicking that I'll undo my hard work.
Does anyone have any advice please? Thanks. x

Replies

• tiffanydavey
    tiffanydavey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Most restaurants will accommodate peoples dietary requests. I would call ahead. Explain to them what you are looking for and see if they can help. I understand the fear, its a slippery slope with one or two cheat meals. Calling ahead will be your best bet!
  • floridachristmas
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Tiffany. I gave them a call yesterday but to be truthful, they weren't terribly helpful, just told me to look at the menu. :( I daren't kick up too much of a fuss as it will put a dampner on things for everyone and it's a celebratory meal. xx
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    ~Smoke house go with turkey or chicken. They may not do grilled chicken, but I have not known of a smoke house to not have some sort of smoked poultry available. For sides, stick with veggies: collard greens, green beans, etc...

~The pulled pork nachos at Hard Rock is an appatizer and is expected to be split between 4 people.

~Exercise a bit so that you can have a bigger calorie bank to play with.

~Eat at maintenace that day or week and don't worry about weight loss that week. Just pick back up the week after.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Why are you panicking? It's just food. One or two meals doesn't 'undo all your hard work'.

Starving yourself won't help either as you will go to the restaurant hungry and be more likely to make bad choices.

Get a extra workout on the day, pick the healthiest thing you can and most importantly, enjoy yourself! You will gain a couple of lb due to water retention from the sodium in that kind of food but it will come off as quick as it went on.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Do an an extra hours intense cardio before or schedule it for after, there are no problems only solutions.
  • floridachristmas
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I can't see any poultry on the menu at all but there may be some on the specials board.
    I think I'm just a bit irrationally cross as I was doing really well and now I feel like I'm being sabotaged which is of course silly as no one is trying to sabotage me at all!
    And thanks for the info about the Hard rock. I couldn't remember seeing it on the menu so assumed it was for one person - feel a bit better now! :flowerforyou:
    xx
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i like big meals at lunch and dinner, so i regularly skip breakfast. it takes a little getting used to be hungry in the morning. drink water and coffee to help with your appetite.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.
    Please can anyone help? Tonight I'm having a meal with aboyt 700 cals and it's high in fat and carbs too. Nothing I can do about it, it's being cooked for me. I'm having Japanese food for lunch - booked ages ago - so I'm thinking salmon and salmon skin handroll, miso soup and water. I've skipped breakfast which isn't doing me any good and I'm crazy hungry, but I panicked!
    On Saturday night we are at a smokehouse for dinner. Normal stuff, puled pork nachos, burgers, ribs etc. They don't do anything like grilled chicken, I already checked.
    According to MFP, pulled pork nachos at the Hard rock are nearly 2000 cals per plate! I only get 1200 a day! I was going to have the nachos at the place we are going to as they are a starter so I figured I'd eat less.
    I'm really panicking that I'll undo my hard work.
    Does anyone have any advice please? Thanks. x

best earn some exercise cals!!!

dont have a starter and half a rack of ribs with a jacket potato & side salad is only going to be about 700 cals
  • bbzgrl110
    bbzgrl110 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Many times when I go to lunch with co-workers we will get an appetizer and share it, or even order a meal and share it, is this a possibility?
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Just eat whatever and don't log it today and go back to the grind tomorrow, you will never succeed long term if you can't go out and enjoy yourself every once and awhile without freaking out!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Just eat whatever and don't log it today and go back to the grind tomorrow, you will never succeed long term if you can't go out and enjoy yourself every once and awhile without freaking out!

^^^ This. This is not going to be a one time occurrence. You will have things coming up all the time where you have to decide what to eat or how much to eat. Some days I eat more, some days I eat less. It usually balances out over a week. That's realistic.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it.

But at the same time nobody is putting any food in your mouth and you may be put in a position at some point where saying no is the correct answer.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Relax... a bad meal or two isn't going to undo your hard work. Enjoy, do a little extra exercise, and carry on!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Well, if you blow out your diet every time you go out, it's not going to do you any good either. Restaurants always have some healthier options, just pick those?

Also your goal should probably be over 1200, you're supposed to eat your exercise calories back. I have 15 to lose and I'm losing on 1600... I'm 5'5" and 35.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    These types of situations will come up so it's best to use it as a learning experience. Just do the best you can in your choices, do some extra exercise as many have suggested, enjoy the break in your otherwise strict routine, and realize that you can handle it without overstressing. I felt like that the first couple of times I ate out but now look forward to those special meals, knowing they won't derail me. One day will not destroy your success.
  • SlytherinPrefect
    SlytherinPrefect Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Or just eat half the food and take the rest home - that's what I've been doing lately; I don't eat full-size portions of anything when we go out to eat.
  • dj0jazzy
    dj0jazzy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It's okay to have a cheat meal every once in a while
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

^^^ This. This is not going to be a one time occurrence. You will have things coming up all the time where you have to decide what to eat or how much to eat. Some days I eat more, some days I eat less. It usually balances out over a week. That's realistic.

Why not log it???? it's important to know what your overall weekly intake is as well and sluffing off one day because you might go over is counter productive...

As well 1200 calories wowsers...I have to ask why that few...we are the same age and I eat 1600, lift weights and I am still losing...2.5lbs in 3 weeks...

ETA : To the OP...what I do is choose a sensible entre but still have a bite or two of the "fun" foods..ie nachos, potatoe skins etc. On weeks/weekends like this my goal is typically maintenance so I can have fun and have that taste when I want....no need to stress it..

PS it's our Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend (two meals one at my Dad's and one at my house) and it's a girls night this weekend too...imagine what I will be eating...hehehe...
  • Patzycakes
    Patzycakes Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hit the gym now, get yourself a nice buffer zone of calories. Then, when you go out, whatever they serve you, ask for a to go box right away and split it, take the rest home.

Also, order a salad to start, eat the whole thing that way you start getting full (which if you've been eating 1200 calories a day is pretty quick). That way you won't over eat on your main course. Don't eat appetizers. If it comes with friday, "no fries please", it it has cheese "can I get that with no cheese please" ect. There will be better options, baked potato instead of fries, house dressing or oil and vinegar instead of ranch ect. You can at least mitigate the damage.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Why not log it???? it's important to know what your overall weekly intake is as well and sluffing off one day because you might go over is counter productive...

As well 1200 calories wowsers...I have to ask why that few...we are the same age and I eat 1600, lift weights and I am still losing...2.5lbs in 3 weeks...

ETA : To the OP...what I do is choose a sensible entre but still have a bite or two of the "fun" foods..ie nachos, potatoe skins etc. On weeks/weekends like this my goal is typically maintenance so I can have fun and have that taste when I want....no need to stress it..

PS it's our Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend (two meals one at my Dad's and one at my house) and it's a girls night this weekend too...imagine what I will be eating...hehehe...

Yes, log it! And be impressed with your amazing one-day intake of calories. Hehe, I love when I eat something that throws off my whole graph. 1500 calories for 3 weeks and then BAM! One day of 3000 calories because I HAD to go to the pizza buffet. :-D Just own it and go back to the grind tomorrow!