A newbie who would like some (accountability) friends!

Options
Hello everyone! I got this app on my phone a few weeks ago and thought I'd try it out. I had tried some similar websites in the past but never really got into it. I'm really liking MFP (both the app and the website). The only thing missing is the interaction. So I've decided to get past the shyness and introduce myself.

One month ago I moved to a new (small) town and started a new job. I'm a recent graduate so this is my first job after school. My husband stayed behind because of his job. The first two weeks were hard. So many changes... I didn't like going home to an empty house and not having any friends to spend time with. So I joined a gym! I figured it would help pass the evening if I went to the gym right after work. (Less time at home alone). Also, by that time I had been logging my food for almost two weeks and hadn't seen the scale budge. I knew it wouldn't work without BOTH eating right and exercise. One week later I lost my first pound! :happy:

I'm excited about making friends here on MFP and being motivated by all your journeys.

Replies

• superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I will add you and we can keep each other accountable! I have been on here for almost 3 weeks and have lost a pound each week.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! Loads of support and motivation available on these boards. Find a group in the forums, and tag on. There's a Too Chubby For My Twenties group that might suit you well :) We'd be happy to have you along!

Best of luck on your journey, Chawntamarie!
  • Lisaszablowski
    Options
    This is a great app! I have it on my phone and laptop. I use it to help me stay on my Nutritional Cleansing Program.
    Changed my life! (The program and being conscious as to what I put into my body) This is a great way to track everything.
    How much do you need to lose? :smile:
  • folsom082512
    Options
    I am new to this site too, I started about a week ago. I lost almost 2lbs. I will be your buddy! We can encourage each other!!!! Good luck!!!!!! :smile:
  • bevsalter
    bevsalter Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I also joined Sept.10th 2010. i need someone to be accountable to as well. I would love to have you for a friend. I have lost 10 pounds since I joined. Just remember if the scales don't move usually the inches do. I walk almost every day. I try to put on 2 miles a couple of times a week walking 3mph. I take my dog walking and that is what got me motiivated.2 miles is around 45 minutes.:happy:
  • chawntamarie
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! (and friend requests :smile: ) Now I can get motivated seeing what everyone else is doing.
    @ Lisa: I need to lose somewhere between 20 and 30 lbs. My focus is more on having a healthy BMI.
  • finncmh
    finncmh Posts: 290
    Options
    I am new as well, and would love to be support for other people and also get some "accountability" friends. Thanks for sharing this post!
  • jaimegarz
    Options
    HI! This is my first post, I just started last week. I have a question for everyone. I was really surprised to see that the recommended daily goals are in such favor of carbs. Everyone around me is doing the low carb/no carb thing. What do you guys think? Good luck to everybody, I'm excited to see the progress we all make!
  • jewahdenny
    Options
    Welcome to you and everyone else. I have been on here for about a month or so and have lost 12 lbs. I really enjoy the food tracking because I have to record any mistake I may want to have. So I have to ask myself do you really want to eat that? Best of luck to you on your weight loss and time away from your husband.

Denny
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    HI! This is my first post, I just started last week. I have a question for everyone. I was really surprised to see that the recommended daily goals are in such favor of carbs. Everyone around me is doing the low carb/no carb thing. What do you guys think? Good luck to everybody, I'm excited to see the progress we all make!
    Carbs are in pretty well everything - Low-carb diets usually mean low/no simple carbs. But things we should be eating, like vegetables, fruits, whole grains/seeds, and all sorts of other awesome, filling, high-fiber stuff is also packed with carbs! Your body needs carbs for fuel, esp if you are exercising a lot, since they burn slower and help to energize you. They are not all bad :) Just have to eat the right kinds of carbs - the ones that are not loaded with sugars! If you keep track of your sugars you should be fine eating 50-60% of your cals from carbohydrates.
  • jaimegarz
    Options
    Thanks! My gut tells me you are completely right (how can eating natural fruit and whole grains be bad for you??) as long as you do everything in moderation. I lost 4 pounds this week, whoo-hoo and have enjoyed every minute of it. Thank you again for the feedback!
  • boomsmom
    boomsmom Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You've come to the right place, so WELCOME! I have found that I am more accountable since joining MFP in July. I'll add you as well, I could always use another buddy! It really helps! Good Luck!!!!!!!
  • mgap247
    Options
    Hi, I'm also a newbie who would like someone to be accountable to. :smile: