Protein Powder

Options
I having been thinking about adding a protein powder to my diet but wonder if it is beneficial? What is the best way to integrate into my diet? As a meal replacement? As a pre-workout drink or post? Any advice would be appreiciated. Thank you!

Replies

• TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Depends on WHY you want to add the protein powder in. It's a supplement, not a necessity. Personally, I add a little to my coffee and yogurt to help me get to my 165g/day goal and I have an additional protein powder shake on lifting days.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I usually use it as a meal replacement for breakfast... but it's also doubles as my pre-workout, since I usually workout within an hour of breakfast. Keeps me full and satisfied until lunch most of the time.

I get Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein powder. It's not as hard on the wallet (~$15 @ Walmart) and mix it with unsweetened Almond milk... only 200ish calories. I also like to mix in peanut butter or banana/strawberries for some different flavorings.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    post workout is the best time I found.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    Options
    It's not a meal replacement.
    It is helpful if you struggle to reach your daily protein goal. If you can't reach it with proper food, go for a protein shake. There's actually no need to, though.
    There's no best time to take it. Personal preference.
  • loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I may have 1/2 a shake before a workout if I need a bit of energy. I always have a post workout shake. By workout I refer to weight training not cardio. I don't mind it mixed with water to keep cals down but do half milk now and then. I personally do not encourage shakes as a meal replacement, but they can certainly fill the occasional gap when you can't have a 'sink your teeth into it' meal for an extended time frame (travelling, just really busy etc). I will occasionally add half a shake to a snack when trying to keep my daily protein high.

Thats how I use protein powders. By no means do I believe it to be the only way. Find the way that works best for your nutrtional and time needs.
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    For me protein powder is used pretty much only for a Pre Workout and Post workout meal, only after i do weights. Other then that i just eat normal food.
  • pandamonium1987
    pandamonium1987 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm also really curious about this. It seems everyone has a different opinion.
    This is what I have gathered from reading some articles on fitness blogs, and talking to the professionals at my gym. (But I must warn you, those "professionals" at my gym are a bit daft. I saw one pulling on a triceps-push-down machine. Made me choke on my water.... )

1) Protein is most needed POST exercise. Your muscles required more protein to repair and create new structures after intense weight training.
    2) Protein is not required after cardio exercises.
    3) Whey protein is more easily broken down by your digestive system, thus making it more optimal for intake versus, say a can of tuna.

So all in all, I would give whey protein powder the thumbs up, but I haven't started incorporating it into my diet yet. I'm upping my protein intake with lentils and canned tuna. Mostly, I try to give my body what it craves. Weird/hard to explain, but when I crave certain things I deduce what to add to my diet to keep me balanced.

Good topic for discussion! :drinker:
  • Squeeks70
    Squeeks70 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input. I had been doing mainly cardio (running, biking). I am trying to incorporate lifting into my workout. Your advice is taken in appreciation. Thanks again! :smile:
  • Tashia_HH
    Tashia_HH Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I workout at night and take it within a half hour after my workout. Chocolate really helps with muscle soreness, I've found. It's a good recovery shake. I use Beverly International UMP Cookies and Cream and Chocolate. They can be mixed with just water and they taste so good its crazy.
  • amanda9402
    amanda9402 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've been adding unflavored whey protein to morning smoothies. That way I get fruit, milk, protein (and sometimes oatmeal) in first thing in the morning. I can drink it while I get ready, and I don't get hungry until lunch.
  • ProteinMilkshakeBar
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight - have a protein shake for dinner along with unlimited veggies & some healthy fat (olive oil dressing/avocado/nuts etc).

Watch your waist line shrink.
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Probably not popular but i use protein powder as a meal replacement. I make it a meal, using it with 1 serving protein powder, 1c almond milk, 1c frozen fruit and ice. It gives you a high protein lunch, that's delicious low fat, low cholesterol and fairly inexpensive in terms of grams protein/cost. I use optimum nutrition whey (double chocolate and french vanilla rocks!). Fruit+protein powder + milk = around 300 calories.

I can't find a reason why it's not good. Yes, i can make a 300 calorie meal, but to be honest, i haven't found anything at 300 calories that gives me the amount of protein for the cost (about 24 g/$1). Plus it's easy to keep in the house at all times. :smile:

Oh, i'm using it for weight loss. Seems to work :)
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm also really curious about this. It seems everyone has a different opinion.
    This is what I have gathered from reading some articles on fitness blogs, and talking to the professionals at my gym. (But I must warn you, those "professionals" at my gym are a bit daft. I saw one pulling on a triceps-push-down machine. Made me choke on my water.... )

1) Protein is most needed POST exercise. Your muscles required more protein to repair and create new structures after intense weight training.
    2) Protein is not required after cardio exercises.
    3) Whey protein is more easily broken down by your digestive system, thus making it more optimal for intake versus, say a can of tuna.

So all in all, I would give whey protein powder the thumbs up, but I haven't started incorporating it into my diet yet. I'm upping my protein intake with lentils and canned tuna. Mostly, I try to give my body what it craves. Weird/hard to explain, but when I crave certain things I deduce what to add to my diet to keep me balanced.

Good topic for discussion! :drinker:
    I'll try to remain calm...If you mean "trainer" by "professionals" at your gym. Well, many are hardly professionals. They just are employed to work there. Most don't know much of anything about nutrition and just repeat articles and blogs. However Im still an advocate for using a trainer for movement based consultation.

1. You don't need anything post workout. period. And the time at which you eat it doesn't matter either. Nitrogen levels and protein synthesis will be just fine in the long run. There's quite a bit of studies and lab work on this topic. It's no longer an argument or point of contention except for those that don't study. It's not just about this marketing word of protein. It's about Nitrogen, the 4th and forgotten and one of the most important nutrients and it's about amino acids. This postworkout idea was just some nonsense created by the bodybuilding industry to make you buy protein powder. End. the only exception is if you are trying to be an elite bodybuilder, where every gram counts.

2. Given my answer to number 1 true you don't need it or anything after cardio. But I'm sure this idea is based on some weird magazine reason, etc., but it does suggest that cardio is on the lower ladder of metabolic conditioning, yet people still love to churn it out and great metabolism slowing rates.

3. This depends on the goal. A bolus (wad,ball) of food can be superior in absorption than a liquid as it digests and passes slower.

The amount of protein an individual needs is dependent on lean body mass and work load. It's not about opinion or what this or that person says. It's about what protects nitrogen,amino, and proper hormonal balance. It doesn't matter if you're male or female, though females have been marketed to think they can or should eat less protein because they don't want to build too much muscle, get bulky, do what body builders do, or other nonsense. i will be talking about this ad nauseum here soon on video on my website.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    It's not a meal replacement.
    It is helpful if you struggle to reach your daily protein goal. If you can't reach it with proper food, go for a protein shake. There's actually no need to, though.
    There's no best time to take it. Personal preference.

All of this
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as a meal replacement. If youj're consuming food, it's a meal. Either way it doesn't matter. At the end of the day or two or three days, it's about gettting in what you need to get in, whether it be shakes, typical meals, or in very small smooth mini meals often referred to as pills.