Running Gear/Tips

Options

Replies

• CathOh
    CathOh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has pretty much covered everything... layers, including a wicking base layer. Merino wool is fantastic. Typically I wear the following in the winter:

On top: Sports top, wicking layer (either silk or long sleeve technical tee), sometimes another layer before my final layer (if it's -20C or colder with the windchill) with a jacket. The "jacket" may be a running jacket that I would wear in the spring (not lined, but with pit-zips if I get too warm), it may be my x-country ski jacket if it's particularly cold (lined, but still very lightweight), or it may just be a pretty thin layer that is really more of a shirt than a jacket. I've never had to wear more than this.

On bottom: Usually knee-length socks, thickness depending on the temperature. I don't own proper running tights although I've been running for a decade. This year I will probably splurge and buy some, If it's very cold, I'll wear long underwear underneath (mine are wool). If there is sleet, or if it's colder than -30C, I'll add splashpants to break the wind. I don't use winter runners, just regular runners. I also use Yaktrax if it's particularly icy, but generally the sidewalks are very well maintained in my area, so I use them maybe 3x per year.

Fleece mitts, merino wool hat (lightweight, but does the trick to wick away moisture). On those really cold days - a bellaclava. Nothing says seksy like a bellaclava.

Don't forget to hydrate :-)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    agree with most people...just a small addition :

With winter approaching, if you are running when it gets dark/darker, invest in some high-visibility gear ( reflective or day-glo) and possibly a head torch so people can see you coming.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I run 12 months out of the year in northern Ohio. Try trail running shoes - they grip better, and are generally made to handle moisture better than a traditional running shoe. Dress for weather 15-20 degrees warmer than it is outside because you will warm up quickly once you start running. I usually wear tight long underwear and a pair of shorts, and long underwear shirt and a T-shirt. If it is REALLY cold I'll throw on a hoodie instead of the T-shirt. I wear the same generic ankle socks all year round. Just keep running, you'll get used to the cold. I also use this guy:

http://www.workngear.com/p-4796-carhartt-a267-mens-helmet-liner-mask.aspx

Apparently breathing cold air increases your chances of a pulmonary embolism.

*Edit/Addition*

Glommits!

I have a rag wool pair and a technical pair that I wear depending on how cold it gets.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Guide-Series-Ragg-Wool-Pop-Top-Mitten&i=441695&r=view
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Wow, props to all of you guys because from the amount of things you are listing you live in some cold places! I pretty much decided awhile ago that I could never live north of DC (possibly not even that north) because I hate the cold. I'm in NC and usually we have pretty mild winters.
    I did run during some freezing rain (usually the only type of frozen stuff we get) last year. I wore your usual run of the mill workout pants, underarmour ear muffs, my normal shoes and socks, then a wicking underlayer, a regular tshirt, and a fleece jacket. But now I have a reflective bright orange running jacket that even has little hand flaps to protect your hands some. My hands are usually the only thing cold unless its windy. But now that I've gotten more into running than I was last winter I may have to look into some other running gear..
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Wool socks. NOT THICK COTTON! OMZ! When that thick cotton gets wet, your feet will freeze! Made that mistake myself last year.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    My winter must haves:

Running tights (i have 2 weights, one lighter and one heavier).

Capri's because sometimes you think you need tights only to figure out you're over heating.

thermal running jacket

sweat bands large enough to cover my ears (I dont' like running muffs, but my Tough Mudder band (for example) is the perfect size. captures the sweat and keeps my ears warm.

properly fitting running gloves

layers are key so you can take off and add on to the top incase you didn't properly dress the bottom. I have running sleeves too that are nice on those "I'm just not certain how to dress" days.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    This is all good info. I'll second Carson's point that it's different for different people. One other thing I would say is to challenge yourself a bit sometimes with cold -- I used to bundle up and sweat a ton, and I thought that was normal. Gradually, I started being OK with being a little colder at the start of my runs, and I got to where I started cold, warmed up quickly and finished much less overheated. Obviously, this experimentation is best done on shorter runs --- it sucks to run a weekend long run where you're cold from start to finish, so for those I plan to just peel off layers if in doubt.

Also, I'll second the recommendation for mittens, a hat and a face mask if it's cold. I see people running in 10 degree, windy conditions with a big jacket and no hat, and I can't believe it --- I'd much rather have a hat, face mask and mittens than a jacket when it's cold.

ETA: I am also one of those whose feet never get cold, even when running through slush, so I don't worry about different shoes or socks. YMMV.
  • JerseyGirlinTN
    JerseyGirlinTN Posts: 144 Member
    Options

With winter approaching, if you are running when it gets dark/darker, invest in some high-visibility gear ( reflective or day-glo) and possibly a head torch so people can see you coming.

I'm going to add to this: if you're going out and it's snowing, wear BRIGHT GEAR, as in neon/day-glow, not just reflective gear. Sometimes, with snow squalls or wind drifts, headlights won't catch the reflective gear through the falling snow. But if you are BRIGHT, you can be seen.
  • abickford82
    Options
    I think they've got you covered but I just skimmed and no one mentioned yak trax. Helps to run through the snow/ice.

https://www.yaktrax.com/
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I run outside all year and live in PA. So that means my coldest runs are usually not much below 30 degrees. Wind chill can make it worse, but there isn't much gear that will handle that. Here are some tips on gear:

1) Running tights are mandatory unless you'll never be running in weather under low 40's.
    2) Compression top to go under your long sleeve sweat wicking running top
    3) Compression or arm forearm warmers are nice on those blistery days
    4) Compression socks (ones that go over your feet up to your knees)
    5) Sunglasses (get a pair with clear lenses for darker running...cold wind in your eyes is not fun
    6) Running ear-muffs (I have a pair that also double as headphones...really awesome)
    7) Running beanie cap designed for cold weather
    8) Cold weather running jacket with hood...you will need this on those below freezing days when it's windy
    9) Running mask (I have a mask that I had gotten for shoveling snow...turns out it's great for my long runs on below freezing days)

You will find that cold weather running feels awesome after you get used to it...I always feel refreshed and invigorated after a long cold run.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

I'm going to add to this: if you're going out and it's snowing, wear BRIGHT GEAR, as in neon/day-glow, not just reflective gear. Sometimes, with snow squalls or wind drifts, headlights won't catch the reflective gear through the falling snow. But if you are BRIGHT, you can be seen.

oooh...good idea! This will be my first winter running, and I live in the snow belt of NY, so I imagine that the majority of my runs will be while it is snowing.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Great tips here folks!

CarsonRuns wrote: "So, just experiment with different layering techniques to find what works for you. A good rule of thumb is to dress as if it's 20 degrees warmer than it is. You'll heat up in the first couple miles. "

This rule has never failed me. You'll be cold for the first mile or so, but perfectly dressed as the run goes on. In the winter, I sometimes spend a few minutes on the stationary bike to get the blood flowing. It can get get pretty cold here in New England, especially before the sun comes up!
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    Bumping for later. My first year running in the cold as well.

Thanks to all the posters
  • andriawenz
    andriawenz Posts: 11 Member
    Options

I do have a running head light in a few colors. I also wera a runners vest, it is required since I run in the woods on Naval Installation. I will have to look into the "day-glo", i have not heard of it. THank you!
  • MzIrish
    MzIrish Posts: 11,917 Member
    Options
    In for the advice :)
  • eaglefish
    eaglefish Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Number 1 recommendation - running tights. I refused to wear them for a long time. At a race a friend lent me a pair when it was colder than expected. There is a reason people are willing to look silly in tights - they are great.

Then I wear a wicking layer (usually just a summer tshirt) and a warm layer or two. For the longest time I used a regular running jacket to keep the wind and wet (snow or rain) off and layered below. This winter i bought a warm wonter rinning jacket. Not necessary but it is a really nice to have. For layering - At first I used regular old hoodies. As I went a long I picked up technical gear made for running.

Hat and gloves. Gloves make a big difference. Someone told me as long as you keep your hands warm, you will stay warm.

Always dress a little lighter. You should be cold starting out, you will warm up. It takes a little practice to learn how much you need in what weather but you'll get it.

Edited - sorry for typos autocorrect on my phone hates me.

All the above is exactly what I've found works for me.. Only comment I'd add is that when it's in the 30's I switch from cotton to a medium weight wool sox.

Have fun! Just watch your footing if the roads are icy or snow covered.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    All the above is exactly what I've found works for me.. Only comment I'd add is that when it's in the 30's I switch from cotton to a medium weight wool sox.

Have fun! Just watch your footing if the roads are icy or snow covered.

You wear cotton socks for running?!??! :noway:
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Only thing I will add is I love my Brooks Ghost GTX gortex lined for the colder weather used to use the Nike Lunar Glides but the ghosts are superior in my humble opinion. And with my shoes I still wear my moisture wicking socks they have never gotten cold. unless I step directly in water (which has happened) but even then they dont get soaked with these shoes. My feet warm up quickly I would not advise thicker socks becouse once you start sweating your socks will soak that up and then you will get cold. The challange is staying dry. But of course this all depends on how long you are out there. Again dress in layers so you can remove items as needed and or put them back on.

EDIT heres a link: http://www.brooksrunning.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-BrooksRunning-Site/default/Product-Select?pid=110144&110144_color=292
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    After running my nipples off several times, i think im on my fifth set, i advise a technical shirt