Running trousers or tights?

Options
I run outside at least 3 times a week and as we've had a damn decent Spring/Summer it's been lovely here in the UK, however, a chill has descended upon us and I don't really fancy the prospect of running in shorts and a t-shirt.

I'm sure some of you will say 'man-up' and 'stop being a wuss' etc but any recommendations for running trousers or tights would be gratefully received. Even though I've lost 4 stone now I still have a little belly so figure-hugging stuff isn't ideal but I'll take all suggestions.

41650117.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Replies

• lavi73
    lavi73 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like the under armour brand coldgear. it's form fitting, but I usually weat a coldgear jacket while I run so it doesn't matter that it's form fitting. they do have running gear that is not form fitting and my sister uses them and loves it. Just make sure all layers are the wicking type- that is, it keeps the sweat off of you and keeps you feeling dryer on your run.
  • katherinesau
    Options
    I prefer tights or leggings for running or walking in the cold, too. I typically wear Nike...and I've been known to even use LuLuLemon. :)
  • britzzie
    britzzie Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    OP, I was going to post something similar this morning! Thanks, lavi for the response!

Anybody else have some favorite (cheaper!) recommendations? I'm going to need at least two tops and two pairs of tights, and if I had $200 to drop on them, I'd probably just go buy a used treadmill!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    There are zillions out there... brand is largely irrelevant. Go to a running store if you can (sporting goods store if you can't), try some on and see what fits well. They come in different weights and materials for different temperature ranges. Some are windproof, some are waterproof. Get what fits well and suits your needs.

I've got a pair of craft tights that I live in during the winter.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I have 4 basic configurations for the lower half when running.

1. "warm enough" to hot (i.e. above 45 degrees fahrenheit/7 degrees centigrade): some wicking/compression underwear under a pair of running shorts

2. "chilly" (about freezing to 45 degrees F/7 degrees C): the same wicking/compression underwear under a pair of loose fitting Nike dri-fit running pants

3. "cold" (about 20 F/-7 C to freezing): Nike thermal running tights under regular running shorts

4. "really cold" (as low as 5 F/-15 C to 20 F/07 C): The thermal running tights under the dri-fit running pants

Below that -15 C level, my lower half doesn't really get any colder... that's usually where the upper body comfort becomes the limiting factor.

I still have plenty of belly left, and the Nike stuff fits me fine with the loose running pants being able to come up to my waistline comfortably and the tights/compression underwear fitting comfortably under my "overhang" of belly that I'm now sure will never go away (short of skin removal surgery). That's why for me, for modesty sake, I never wear just tights or compression shorts... always something loose over them that comes up to the waistline.

The key when looking at options is, I think, the difference between tights and running pants or track pants (probably called trousers in the UK).
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention in my post - my levels 2 and 3 are approximate temperatures... and they shift as the seasons change since I've been used to the hot weather as autumn comes and to the cold weather as spring arrives.

I went for my first run in my track pants of the fall yesterday morning, and was comfortable - but just realized that it was already 50 degrees out when I was running early.
  • eaglefish
    eaglefish Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I wear Under Armor tights when it starts getting into the low 40's.. Running shorts over them to help give me a little wind break.
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I really love my Champion C9 brand and Reebox brand compression tights when it starts to get cold. I live in Upstate NY and cold for me is 20 or less, I had capri pants and a longsleeve top for my run this morning and it was 35 out, I was pulling my sleeves up by the end. But like someone else said, you do not need to spend a fortune for quality products, just layer up!
  • StuKP
    StuKP Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice everyone. It's much appreciated and I think I'll be going to a store on Saturday and trying some stuff on to see what suits me best and then go from there.

Went for a run after work today and it was about 10C but flippin windy with a bit of rain. I worked up a decent sweat but still felt cold and not at my best so you've helped me make my mind up.

Thanks all :-)

41650117.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice everyone. It's much appreciated and I think I'll be going to a store on Saturday and trying some stuff on to see what suits me best and then go from there.

Went for a run after work today and it was about 10C but flippin windy with a bit of rain. I worked up a decent sweat but still felt cold and not at my best so you've helped me make my mind up.

Thanks all :-)

Sometimes dealing with the wind and the rain is a bigger deal than dealing with the cold.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I bought some Asics tights that it seems like they don't make anymore last winter. Look similar to their PR tights.

Kept my legs warm into the low 20s (F). And pretty cheap too - $40 MSRP, but I ordered them through FootLocker for less than $20 and free ship to a nearby store.
    Asics tights do run long though. A medium was way long enough to fit me @ 6'. About 3" of tights was bunched up at my ankles. And they even make tall sizes too! Now, I do have short legs for my height - 32" inseam.
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this!
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I also like under armour. I don't ever pay full price though. I check their online specials or go to a store... sometimes you can pick things up really cheap. I also hit the clearance rack at Kohls.... I heard Target has some good work out gear on the cheap too.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    TJ Maxx/Marshall's sometimes has good deals on this type of gear too, though in my experience they are more likely to have tops than bottoms. But still worth it if you're a bargain hunter.