10k, 1/2 marathon, marathon training

Options
Hi all,

Just hoping some of you may have some training tips.

I did the mini marthon earlier this year and LOVED it, the atomosphere was amazing anyway I have been plodding away gradually increasing my stamina and was thinking of setting some goals to train towards.

There is a local 10k hike up a mountain coming up I would love to go for it and then next year in the spring maybe sign up for some 1/2 marathons ideally maybe building up to an actual marathon but baby steps for now for me ..:)

Any advice greatly appreciated - at present I am running approx. 4 times a week, I ran 10 k earlier in the week in 64 mins but I normally do about 5/6 k and then some weights.

thanks in advance!
valentine

Replies

• Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I would say just pick a training program and go with it. If you can already do 10k with ease then maybe take a look at starting a half marathon training program. There are lots of apps that have them or check out Hal Higdon's website, that is a great resource.

Good luck and have fun!
  • Shannonpurple
    Shannonpurple Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    1. make sure you are fitted for good shoes at a real running store if you are going to increase your running
    2. make sure you stretch after ever run
    3. find a training program and go for it
    also make sure you are training on the same terrain that the race you are doing is on (like if you are running a hilly road race tread mill training will not get you ready for the race)

www.marathonrookie.com
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I agree with picking a program and going with it. I'm using Hal Higdon's program, which I enjoy, however for my next half I'm going to increase my prep time beforehand because I started to experience so overuse symptoms with this half and have had to take a week off (thankfully I had the time to!).

My best advice is to actually sign up for a race, I said I always wanted to do a half marathon but never actually started training until I actually signed up for one. My first half is in 3 weeks and I'm starting to get nervous!

Also, get good shoes, get fitted for them and pay the money for them, trust me, its worth it.