How do you resist "TEMPTATIONS"

Replies

• dizzow
    dizzow Posts: 65
    Fantastic Thread.. learning lots of helpful ideas. Bump.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Is this *insert tempting food here* worth losing a toe or two? Of course the answer to my question is always no, and that is all it takes for me. I either put the temptation down, or never pick it up to begin with and am able to walk away.

To me, that's incredible and shows what a healthy perspective you have.

Work is the big deal for me because our lovely receptionist makes sure the place is loaded down with candies, cookies, pastries, and all kinds of treats every day. That's partially how I gained my weight back, by partaking in the treats there and not knowing when to stop.

I no longer have cravings for those treats, but at first it was so hard to stay away from them. I have a sugar sensitivity where I soar then crash, and then feel pretty darned tired (I''m not diabetic, I've my sugar tested), When I'd want to have some treats, I would ask myself if I really wanted to feel so horrible after eating something so good. Every time the answer was no, so I walked away.

I'm so glad I'm able to avoid the treats there now.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    If I know I have leeway in my day I just go for it. No sense in punishing myself, life is still supposed to be fun! But I find that it gets easier with time after I start getting serious about logging. My mindset changes such that the desire to lose weight outweighs the craving. Plus I would remember the last time an indulgence got out of hand lol
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    I don't. See the thing is I don't eliminate the foods I love to eat. When you restrict yourself, you get "temptations."
  • threetonguerings
    threetonguerings Posts: 81 Member
    When I get a craving (usually something sweet), I tell myself it's not worth the damage it will do. I then proceed to chug a bottle of water. Helps me curb the craving.
  • I tend to just to fit into my calories for that day - so i tell myself if I eat that cupcake I can't really eat a very big dinner, so that usually helps to just stick to eating one little cupcake, or one brownie. (then again, i'm not diabetic, so eating that cupcake or brownie won't make me sick)

Or I pick a healthier version of something sweet. like I'll get some tea with sugar, or coffee (not all that healthy but it's better than a cupcake.. ) , or eat a kind bar (it has chocolate, but it also has some fibers and nuts and good stuff.. ) - so I still get sweetness and sugar in my day.

I mainly just go by the 'everything in moderation' policy.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    I give myself a break. I am a busy person and there will be days when I need convience over eating healthy. This isn't to say there aren't any healthy options where convience is concerned BUT if I want McNuggets, I will order a happy meal. I also remind myself that eating convience food adds up claories quickly and I will end up more hungry in the long run if I don't stick to nutrient rich foods.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    wait? what? we are suppose to resist temptations!!?? since when did I miss that memo? *facepalm*
    h1F209EC2
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    I ask him to never call me again...Wait... whaaaat?
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    I am diabetic also but if it fits in your macros, and also for me I keep track of my carbs, I can eat carbs but only if they are balanced.
    Try eating the same gram carbs at breakfast, lunch and dinner, say 15 grams per meal, maybe 10 grams for your snacks, then work that for a week, daily try to keep each meal of the day the same grams of crabs so there will be no major spikes, over time trying this you will find your carb threshold, Mine is lower than above, I range between 30-50 grams total for a day to split evenly between all meals and snacks. I guess there are days you will want a treat say like an oreo or something and I avoid those but if anyone can attest it is hard to resist something if it is your favorite treat, so eat it and go workout more or plan for it in advance to fit it into your day as hopefully it would be just one day. Same for holidays. Good luck.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    It depends on what it is... by this point I am mostly past the 'craving' phase. I never restricted myself to the point of having to binge so I never really had many cravings. When I did/do it's mainly about how much I want it (how happy it will make me I guess) and if I want to sacrifice something (like a bigger dinner or having to go for another walk) to get it.

Somethings I don't resist. Like if my boyfriend wants to go for dinner I go. I try to make better choices and I will never obsess about going over my calories occasionally because I know I'll be back at it tomorrow. If its something like having a muffin for breakfast I normally decide not to because I know that if I eat it then I will short on my dinner by about 400 cals and since I'm on TDEE I have no way to get extra calories..That muffin isn't worth it to me. If someone brings goodies to work I usually ignore them for the same reason. Just not worth it to me to have to eat less dinner.. It's all trade offs.
  • Littlestandrews
    Littlestandrews Posts: 96 Member
    I don't. See the thing is I don't eliminate the foods I love to eat. When you restrict yourself, you get "temptations."
    This!

I make sure that I eat healthy nutritious foods all day but as long as it fits in my calories, I allow myself one treat a day. I mean, you can have 3 oreos for 160 calories. If I cut out everything that I love that isn't necessarily 'good for you' I would've quit soon after I started.
  • Bearbo25
    Bearbo25 Posts: 28 Member
    When I see foods that would set me over my goal I usually just think back to the moment I last stepped on the scale and saw a loss. I love when the scale goes down and so thinking of how that food could set me back usually helps me stay away from it.
  • faithoverfailure
    faithoverfailure Posts: 14 Member
    I have learned to not deprive myself of foods that I love. I have devote my everyday life to eating healthy. However, if one and awhile I am craving something, I have it. I just do not overeat. I always plan ahead for my treats. In my experience, when you deprive yourself, it opens the door to binge eating
  • i hate bad cravings!! i just tell myself NO and chug 20oz of water.
  • cursiny
    cursiny Posts: 907 Member
    Tracking food really makes me think about what I eat....
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    I am just really motivated, right now; seeing the body fat % drop on my scale is incredibly motivating and I don't want to sabotage myself. honestly, I did a pretty rough first week where I followed a "quick size slim down" plan for 7 days and after that, just LOOKING at donuts or anything fried literally wants to make me throw up.

I LOVE chocolate, so if I want some (haven't craved it in 3 weeks, though) I'll just have a tiny piece like a Hershey's kiss or something just to get the flavor.

I haven't "cheated" at all; I just let the calories instruct how/what I eat. For example, yesterday I was in an all-day meeting, lunch provided. I googled the amount of calories in the lunch and it was 700! Sure, I could've had it, but then I only have a 1330 limit each day; did I really want to spent more than 1/2 of that on a fatty sandwich for lunch? No, I didn't. I'd rather spent more calories for a nice dinner. So I didn't eat the lunch provided - I keep food in the fridge here so I had some soup and a little cup of mac and cheese.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    I don't have it in the house, I don't buy when I go to the grocery store. If my wife chooses to have it then she can have it. I don't restrict what she eats, just for myself
  • ryanlee77
    ryanlee77 Posts: 65 Member
    I sat down and calculated about how much money I'd spent on maintaining my extra weight and it was a shocking. Then I went on to calculate how much it cost to maintain it for 20 years and I decided that I'd given in to temptation waaay too much. The sad part was that I could have used that money for something better that to hang on my midsection. Maybe, it's a self-driven guilt trip (I hope not), but it helps me to remember how many $ of extra calories I'm still carrying. At least it seems to help me from eating the third cookie!
    awesome i love this ..well said
  • septembergrrl
    septembergrrl Posts: 168 Member
    I tell myself, "That isn't food for you." And then I try to move someplace where I can't see whatever it is, because I generally won't overindulge if something isn't easy to get to. So, like, if there's birthday cake in the office kitchen, I just stay out of the kitchen until it's gone.

Along the same line of reasoning, I don't buy anything for the house that I both love and can't eat pretty regularly. We have some candy for the kids and my husband, but as long as it isn't one of my favorites it's generally pretty easy for me to pass up. Luckily my husband is nice about either not buying a lot of junk, or putting it where I won't see it if he does :-).