Bodybuilding/Strength Training

Options
13»

Replies

• kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Hey all, male and female alike

I was just wondering if there are any users here that do a bodybuilding/old school approach to weight lifting and if their goals are building muscle, gaining strength and going for that built ripped look. Or even if you're just going for aesthetics. Whatever floats your boat!

If so, I was keen to see what kind of workout routines/plans you guys are rocking and if you all just wanted to share what everyone does.

I'll go first, of course. This is my plan and what I do currently;

Monday: Chest/Triceps
    Bench Press - 4 x 8-12
    Incline Dumbbell Press - 4 x 8-12
    Dumbbell Flyes - 4 x 8-12
    Press Ups - 4 x 8-12
    Bench Dips - 4 x 8-12
    Seated Tricep Extension - 4 x-12
    Skullcrushers - 4 x 8-12
    Dumbbell Tricep Kickback - 4 x 8-12
    Cardio - Tyre Flips and Sprints

Tuesday: Legs/Abs
    Leg Extensions - 4 x 8-12
    Barbell Squats- 4 x 8-12
    Barbell Lunges - 4 x 8-12
    Dumbbell Calf Raises - 4 x 8-12
    Sit Up Twists - 100
    Dumbbell Twists - 100
    Bicycle - 100

Wednesday: Back/Biceps
    Bent Over Two Arm Long Bar Rows- 4 x 8-12
    One Arm Dumbbell Rows - 4 x 8-12
    Dumbbell Incline Row - 4 x 8-12
    Inverted Rows - 4 x 8-12
    Wide Grip Barbell Curls - 4 x 8-12
    Preacher Curls - 4 x 8-12
    Hammer Curls - 4 x 8-12
    Seated Close Grip Barbell Concentration Curls - 4 x 8-12
    Cardio - Cycling and Step Sprints

Thursday: Rest

Friday: Shoulders/Legs
    Seated Barbell Military Press- 4 x 8-12
    Dumbbell Front Lateral Raise- 4 x 8-12
    Incline Reverse Flyes - 4 x 8 -12
    Upright Barbell Row - 4 x 8-12
    Barbell Squats- 4 x 8-12

Saturday: Abs/Biceps
    Hammer Curls - 4 x 8-12
    Ab Ripper X
    Cardio - Tyre Flips with Sprints and Tyre Pulls

Sunday: Rest/Light Yoga

I can't see anywhere in that post a single mention about "please critique my workout plan and tell me I'm wrong"

The OP asked for others to share their own workout plans, not act like know it alls and berate her for following a routine that doesn't fit the current fad amongst the cultists here. What works for one wont work for all, if she's seeing results, then who's to say what she's doing is wrong.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I can't see anywhere in that post a single mention about "please critique my workout plan and tell me I'm wrong"

She posted in a public forum which opens her up for public opinion. Being that this is a free country we can say what we want. If you're going to post something on MFP, especially if it sucks, then be prepared for criticism.
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    And who made you lord of all that is knowing what sucks and what doesn't? If someone is getting their desired results from that programme then it clearly does not suck.

What you mean is, it's something you don't agree with and as the self appointed fitness guru master you feel it is your duty to point out how everyone is wrong is an arrogant and ignorant manner. I see now. Sorry for misunderstanding the purpose of the original post. I thought it asked for people to share their routines, not their blinkered one sided single closed minded opinions, especially as she never asked for them.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    man some of you guys are seriously over sensitive.

I haven't seen any exceptional judgmental or harsh criticisms- some great conversations about lifting and types of programs and what they do for you.

You forget- people read these threads- and may never comment- so don't assume it's all for naught. the information is helpful... and none of it is is harsh or excessively negative... forum's public places for people to discuss things- take tangents and have a life of their own- since the OP isn't actively participating- those who are will steer said conversation- tis the way of the forum.

lighten up
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    And who made you lord of all that is knowing what sucks and what doesn't? If someone is getting their desired results from that programme then it clearly does not suck.

What you mean is, it's something you don't agree with and as the self appointed fitness guru master you feel it is your duty to point out how everyone is wrong is an arrogant and ignorant manner. I see now. Sorry for misunderstanding the purpose of the original post. I thought it asked for people to share their routines, not their blinkered one sided single closed minded opinions, especially as she never asked for them.

post-6474-There-there-Do3C.gif
  • JNick77
    Options

Ever here of the term "false-positive"? It's very common with exercise and nutrition where somebody begins doing something for the first time and they achieve some short-term results but it wasn't 100% attributed to what they think it was. You can find this quite often in reference to exercise methods, diet, and definitely supplementation.

I don't believe I was negative in any way towards her actually, just provided some overall idea. I also self-admitted that I am not entirely intelligent on the subject of bodybuilding. However, since you asked, I am pretty well educated on basic strength training and performance and have successfully trained myself and a few other individuals.

Stick around, maybe you'll learning something. See, I was being constructive and now you made me provide an *kitten*-hole response. Yeesh...
  • JNick77
    Options

One of the last gym's I worked-out at there were a few amateur bodybuilders there and I rarely saw them bench press either. Most of the time they were on the Incline Hammer Strength Machine or MAYBE the Smith Machine. From what I saw in their trainging compound lifts were not a staple. I never saw one do a DL other than the SLDL either. Lots of Leg Press, Hack Squats though. IT was interesting to watch the bodybuilder approach. Yeah they were amateur but they were frickin' huge and defined, so perhaps it was just a lack of symmetry or some small detail that kept them from their pro-card.

totally agree

there are 4 at my gym- 1 full blown pro and then 3 amateurs.

And no- their training program is totally different- and full isolation splits are for bodybuilders- so it amuses me when people who just want 2- 3 workouts and are just trying to get fit- WANT to do a full blown split like that. i'ts old school- and it's a big thing because it's a body building thing- but it's not needed for your average lifter.

some of them could really benefit from compounds. Arnold started as a power lifter before he switched. There is some truth to strength = some size. bigger engines and all that.

yeah- no- and I was talking to one girl- she does no benche- and no squat- she does squat variation- but no straight squts I was almost totally aghast! I've never seen a single one of them get on a flat bench and do a BB bench. EVER. Granted i'm not there 24 hrs a day- but I do work there- AND I work out there- so I'm there probably 20 hours a week- which I'm going to guess is more than your average gym rat- so I think I would have seen SOMETHING... but I can't think of a single time when I've ever seen one of them flat BB bench (MAYBE incline.. .but it's usually DB)

That's interesting. There were a couple fitness models that represented Optimum Nutrition and competed as well at the gym. I did see them do some squatting but they were only partial squats. I'm not sure if that's good for bodybuilders or not but found it interesting. But still a lot of isolation work.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

One of the last gym's I worked-out at there were a few amateur bodybuilders there and I rarely saw them bench press either. Most of the time they were on the Incline Hammer Strength Machine or MAYBE the Smith Machine. From what I saw in their trainging compound lifts were not a staple. I never saw one do a DL other than the SLDL either. Lots of Leg Press, Hack Squats though. IT was interesting to watch the bodybuilder approach. Yeah they were amateur but they were frickin' huge and defined, so perhaps it was just a lack of symmetry or some small detail that kept them from their pro-card.

totally agree

And no- their training program is totally different- and full isolation splits are for bodybuilders- so it amuses me when people who just want 2- 3 workouts and are just trying to get fit- WANT to do a full blown split like that. i'ts old school- and it's a big thing because it's a body building thing- but it's not needed for your average lifter.

some of them could really benefit from compounds. Arnold started as a power lifter before he switched. There is some truth to strength = some size. bigger engines and all that.

yeah- no- and I was talking to one girl- she does no benche- and no squat- she does squat variation- but no straight squts I was almost totally aghast! I've never seen a single one of them get on a flat bench and do a BB bench. EVER. Granted i'm not there 24 hrs a day- but I do work there- AND I work out there- so I'm there probably 20 hours a week- which I'm going to guess is more than your average gym rat- so I think I would have seen SOMETHING... but I can't think of a single time when I've ever seen one of them flat BB bench (MAYBE incline.. .but it's usually DB)

that is interesting ...I always though that barbell chest press was considered one of the 'big three' for lifting..guess I was wrong on that one...:) LOL
  • ndj1979
    Options

The OP asked for others to share their own workout plans, not act like know it alls and berate her for following a routine that doesn't fit the current fad amongst the cultists here. What works for one wont work for all, if she's seeing results, then who's to say what she's doing is wrong.

As far as 'berating" I have not seen any of that in this thread..and compared to other threads this is mild..I have seen some critique of the OP's overall approach and suggestions as to alternate routines..which is not a bad thing. When I post my work out in the threads I expect to get critiqued and if someone with more experience then me says that I am going about it all wrong then I will listen to them because they have had long term results...

It is, after all, a public forum ..so deal with it...
  • JNick77
    Options

totally agree

that is interesting ...I always though that barbell chest press was considered one of the 'big three' for lifting..guess I was wrong on that one...:) LOL

I agree, twuz shocked myself. Grew-up playing football and even though our coach's programming sucked we still had to squat and bench press so I thought that was just a mandatory piece of lifting. But I was wrong. LOL
  • JoRocka
    Options

I agree, twuz shocked myself. Grew-up playing football and even though our coach's programming sucked we still had to squat and bench press so I thought that was just a mandatory piece of lifting. But I was wrong. LOL

I think it's useful to make a point that there is the bench as a COMPOUND lift. and bench as an isolation lift.

They are two separate lifts- even though they look the same. I wouldn't say either is right or wrong. they just are.

A full arch- and planted feet = compound.

flat back- all chest/shoulders = isolation.

My friend firmly believes you can pick on- decline/incline or flat- but flat is pretty useless and up or down is moar better... but you don't need to do all 3.

I like incline- a 45* incline- anything higher than that hits me in WEAK weak spot -and while I can flat bench 170.. at the fixed height bench of the gym benches- I struggled at like 45-75 lbs.

but yeah her theory was decline/incline trumped flat. I don't necessarily think so- because for lifting comps- it IS one of the big three. dead- squat- bench.

I think it just kind of depends what your goal is. I'm a big compound type lifter- I don't to hardly ANY isolation's (unless forced) and if I do it's usually cable fly or body weight bi's tri's.

But yeah- body builders are big into building their bodies for a look- so compound lifts- aren't always it. I wonder though- i don't hangout on BB.com often enough to have a good reading on it- I can ask Jeff and Hari next time I see them about it. they might just not like it because you don't get the same pump. shrug- I'll ask.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I think it's useful to make a point that there is the bench as a COMPOUND lift. and bench as an isolation lift.

They are two separate lifts- even though they look the same. I wouldn't say either is right or wrong. they just are.

A full arch- and planted feet = compound.

flat back- all chest/shoulders = isolation.

My friend firmly believes you can pick on- decline/incline or flat- but flat is pretty useless and up or down is moar better... but you don't need to do all 3.

I like incline- a 45* incline- anything higher than that hits me in WEAK weak spot -and while I can flat bench 170.. at the fixed height bench of the gym benches- I struggled at like 45-75 lbs.

but yeah her theory was decline/incline trumped flat. I don't necessarily think so- because for lifting comps- it IS one of the big three. dead- squat- bench.

I think it just kind of depends what your goal is. I'm a big compound type lifter- I don't to hardly ANY isolation's (unless forced) and if I do it's usually cable fly or body weight bi's tri's.

But yeah- body builders are big into building their bodies for a look- so compound lifts- aren't always it. I wonder though- i don't hangout on BB.com often enough to have a good reading on it- I can ask Jeff and Hari next time I see them about it. they might just not like it because you don't get the same pump. shrug- I'll ask.

I do dumbbell incline on Thursdays at 35 degree angle...I mix in some declines sometimes...but I read/heard somewhere that declines were kind of a waste of time, but that could be a bunch of BS....

so then would dumbbell flat be superior to barbell flat or is that just a matter of opinion? Or is flat in general just waste of time..??
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options

I was just wondering if there are any users here that do a bodybuilding/old school approach to weight lifting and if their goals are building muscle, gaining strength and going for that built ripped look. Or even if you're just going for aesthetics. Whatever floats your boat!

If so, I was keen to see what kind of workout routines/plans you guys are rocking and if you all just wanted to share what everyone does.

[workout plan omitted in order to save [real estate"]

I'm not going to critique your specific plan because you will have no shortage of input I'm sure, but I would like to make a couple of comments:

1) It's great that you have a detailed plan. Too many people go to the gym and just sort of lift randomly. And maybe the next time they go they will only do the lifts they feel like doing that day. In addition to your plan I would strongly recommend that you track your workouts meticulously. Record what lifts you did, how heavy, how many reps, how many sets, etc...every time. This info can be invaluable later on in identifying plateaus, over-training, and such.

2) Bodybuilding and strength training are not the same thing. Success is measured differently, as are the ways to get there. So if you know what your goals are, when you receive advice you might want to consider which group the person giving yo the advice is coming from.

3) "Old school" methods are not necessarily the best methods.

Good luck, it certainly appears that you are on the right track!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

I do dumbbell incline on Thursdays at 35 degree angle...I mix in some declines sometimes...but I read/heard somewhere that declines were kind of a waste of time, but that could be a bunch of BS...
    so then would dumbbell flat be superior to barbell flat or is that just a matter of opinion? Or is flat in general just waste of time..??

The reason Decline Bench gets a bad rap is the decline position shortens the range of motion. I think people like to do this lift because you can put up big #s (because of less ROM)

Incline Bench works shoulders a bit more than a Flat Bench. Flat Bench is superior to both as far as muscle recruitment goes. I personally wouldn't consider it a useless lift. Anyway, Flat Bench IS a compound lift that works the chest, shoulder, and triceps. Grip width will be the determining factor on the Flat Bench as to what muscles are used more - narrow grip - more triceps/less shoulders, wide grip - more shoulders/less triceps.
  • JNick77
    Options

I do dumbbell incline on Thursdays at 35 degree angle...I mix in some declines sometimes...but I read/heard somewhere that declines were kind of a waste of time, but that could be a bunch of BS...

The reason Decline Bench gets a bad rap is the decline position shortens the range of motion. I think people like to do this lift because you can put up big #s (because of less ROM)

I think you're exactly right about that. It's pretty common to see some "bro's" come in and load the plates up on the Decline Hammer Strength machine and do partial reps and strut around like they're bad-*kitten*. Then leave the machine without un-racking the weight. Then they walk over and grab a pair of 50lb DB's to bench and barely eek out a few good reps.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Too much for a beginner or someone getting back into it.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

I'll go first, of course. This is my plan and what I do currently;

Monday: Chest/Triceps
    Bench Press - 4 x 8-12
    Incline Dumbbell Press - 4 x 8-12
    Dumbbell Flyes - 4 x 8-12
    Press Ups - 4 x 8-12
    Bench Dips - 4 x 8-12
    Seated Tricep Extension - 4 x-12
    Skullcrushers - 4 x 8-12
    Dumbbell Tricep Kickback - 4 x 8-12
    Cardio - Tyre Flips and Sprints

Tuesday: Legs/Abs
    Barbell Squats- 4 x 8-12
    Sit Up Twists - 100
    Dumbbell Twists - 100
    Bicycle - 100

Wednesday: Back/Biceps
    Bent Over Two Arm Long Bar Rows- 4 x 8-12
    One Arm Dumbbell Rows - 4 x 8-12
    Dumbbell Incline Row - 4 x 8-12
    Inverted Rows - 4 x 8-12
    Hammer Curls - 4 x 8-12
    Cardio - Cycling and Step Sprints

Thursday: Rest

Friday: Shoulders/Legs
    Seated Barbell Military Press- 4 x 8-12
    Dumbbell Front Lateral Raise- 4 x 8-12
    Incline Reverse Flyes - 4 x 8 -12
    Upright Barbell Row - 4 x 8-12
    Barbell Squats- 4 x 8-12

Saturday: Abs/Biceps
    Hammer Curls - 4 x 8-12
    Ab Ripper X
    Cardio - Tyre Flips with Sprints and Tyre Pulls

Sunday: Rest/Light Yoga

Sensitive much? Man up, bro. By all means if OP wants to spend that much time invested a routine when there are easier ways of attaining strength and a quality physique, by all means... proceed. The other people who posted suggested logical, and much less time consuming suggestions that will produce far superior results for someone who obviously is not an intermediate or advanced lifter.

You should really only be dabbling with programming your own routine if you've reached the advanced stages of lifting. That routine looks like something ripped from a men's fitness magazine or something... It's like trying to emulate Arnold's routine and expecting results like him. Waste.of.time.
  • JoRocka
    Options

I do dumbbell incline on Thursdays at 35 degree angle...I mix in some declines sometimes...but I read/heard somewhere that declines were kind of a waste of time, but that could be a bunch of BS....

First initial gut reaction- I don't think any lift is a complete waste of time if it's done with purpose i.e power curling 2 lbs for 'weight training' is a waste.... curling 2 lbs to rehab- not a waste.

I don't think I really am researched enough to say one is CLEARLY superior. I think it's more a matter of opinion and what the goal is. I also don't think BB vs DB is a straight superior/inferior argument.... I can't control the amount of weight in a DB that I can press... that would be 50 in each arm- and I don't' think my little baby muscles could do it- but I'm certainly STRONG enough to press it. Same with a squat/DL... I can do way more BB than DB- it's just not stable enough- but that doesn't mean I don't do certain things with a DB- but i got down in weight. I think it really REALLY is a combined matter of goals- and personal preference.

I bench flat- I bench incline- rarely decline- i LIKE decline- I just like how much work it is- but it makes my shoulder click and be in a way that is not good. So I flat BB and I DB incline. I don't like BB incline. bleck. but again- I don't have any science for that- all those lifts do something for you- so I think any of them done with real form and purpose- can ADD to your workout plan to be honest and it provides variety... we do a lot of the same lifts over and over- it's fun to start something new.

I do a lot of squat and deadlift... I switched to front squats- then remembered my over head... so I started working overheads again- painfully slowly- but it's a vareity- now I can rotate through 3 different types of squats when I stall or get bored or want to just do something different. neither good or bad- just a change of pace.
  • theredfro
    theredfro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Oh, hello. Thread went a little haywire for a second.

Alright well, I'm aware that a lot of people would see my routine as a lot of exercises and reps and perhaps too much. As stated before, several times, I don't adhere to this plan strictly. I do the exercises and it's often that sometimes I only do two or three exercises of every muscle group, rather than the four that is listed out.

In reference to the people thinking the routine is too much to start out, I also refer to above, I go at the pace I can manage for now until I reach the point that I find this routine either not enough, too much, or not working the way I want. This is a guideline for me right now and at the moment, it is working for me. I'm well aware that in the near future, I will be changing this workout, but the point of this is to give me somewhere to start and somewhere to improve, adjust, and tweak for my goals and to what works for my body.

For people giving me new routines, I appreciate the advice and the help, but I've researched fitness extensively and I can tell you now that while I do not claim or think my routine covers everything or is the right one, no routine out there will ever do that. Every routine, someone will have a problem with, someone will think is wrong, someone will want to do something completely different.

I workout at home, on the top floor of an apartment building. Compound lifts are difficult for me to do in a tight space, hence why deadlifts are currently not on the list. Secondly, I do not like working out only three times a week. Perhaps it would work better for my body but personally, at this point in my life and fitness, I PREFER working out four-five days a week.

Thank you everyone for all of your advice, opinions and critique - yes, as someone posted before, I did not ask for them but of course this is a public forum and above all else, it's a fitness/health forum. Everyone in the fitness industry will know, no matter what the science says, every advice and every opinion and every routine that is put out there, is always 'the one' or different. Nobody ever agrees and there's always going to be a difference in opinion. As long as you do the correct form in your exercises, have the basics down for your lifts and you're open minded to change then it's down to the individual to find out what works for them. No person is the same in how exercise shapes their body when it comes to building muscle, getting defined or gaining strength.

Thanks again everyone, I hope people do add further opinions and even better, their own workout routines.