Is it just me or am I the only one that is absolutely RAVENO

Options
I started my dieting with 30 pounds to lose. I lost 15 through mainly diet changes and light exercise like taking my kids bike riding or swimming. I was able to figure out exactly what my body needed. Now I have added going to the gym into my routine and it is completely throwing me off! I am constantly starving after the gym. Anyone have ideas on how to fix this? Protein shakes don't work...I'm still starving.

Replies

• StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    are you eating your exercise calories??
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Resistance training increases metabolic rates. Basically, your body wants food. This is good, because when you don't give it more food then what your numbers tell you to give it, it will use fat instead. It's a trade off; you'll lose more fat, but be a bit hungrier.
  • purpleprose
    Options
    I have a scrambled egg, cheese, and some kashi crackers or a whole wheat english muffin after a work out. Or I have greek yogurt and some complex carbs and fruit.

I find that helps me fill up after a workout, but that I usually need to eat an apple and some reduced sugar/sodium peanut butter in two to three hours following a workout to keep the blood sugar up.
  • Chefette27
    Chefette27 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It sound like you are now burning way more calories than you are used to. Two solutions
    Might be to drink more water, because sometimes hungry is the feeling you get from being
    Dehydrated. Also, try eating something with a complex carb before you exercise like a slice
    of whole wheat bread with peanut butter (which also qualifies as a complete protien) to
    stop the workout hunger. Good luck to you!
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Invest in a HRM and eat more.
  • manamac
    manamac Posts: 13
    Options
    I have found the exact same thing and I started eating trail mix on the days I work out. It helps with the sweet and salty craving and I am not starving throughout the day. I will have a 1/3 of a cup spread out over the entire day anytime I feel the need for a snack. It's high in calories but reduces my cravings dramatically!
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    My weight loss has stalled and I've just now decided I'm not eating enough. In 2002, when I lost 105 pounds I did it with NO exercise and it worked. Just food intake. This time I'm walking 4-6 miles a day and although I've lost 18 pounds, I've stalled. Today I added a pre-walk meal and am going to eat back my exercise calories.