Egg Whites

Options
I need some Ideas for cooking egg whites. I am trying to eat them for breakfast. I am not eating breads, pasta ect. Just lean protein, fruits and veggies. I usually scramble with red peppers, Italian seasoning and black pepper. But that is getting old. Any healthy ideas. Just an FYI I try to eat between 900-1200 calories per day but I make most of those protein. ANy thoughts would be appreciated.

Replies

• qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    add in a few yolks. up your calories. 900 doesnt seem sustainable.
  • flywithgeorge
    flywithgeorge Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've been mixing egg whites, sweet potatoes and onions together, along with peppers and black pepper... very tasty!
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I make egg white mc muffins with whole wheat muffins. OMG they are so good. with a slice of cheddar.. I throw some spinach in my eggs when cookiing along with peppers n onions. Why no breads or pasta at all? I could never ever do that. If you just reduce your calories you will lose no need to cut out entire food groups. I dont knwo about anyone else but as soon as I say I cant have this or that I want it even more.. I eat like 1600 calories on avg a day and exercise a few times a week and Im losing.. I know everyones calorie deficit is different but less than 1200 how are you not hungry.. I would be.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

that.

all I can think of is "egg white are disgusting"

I only eat mine one way.

cook bacon.
    drain half grease
    saute veggies (i'm partial to green peppers- tomatoes and onions- sometimes ham/sausage- but meh typically I don't)
    add scrambled eggs

I eat this pretty much every day- and I love it- but I know some people who can't do that.

Sweet potatoes as noted are a nice addition. But add the yolks.
    eat- enjoy. and why 900 calories? how big are you? 900 is like peanuts. I eat that before I leave work every day. I realize everyone is different but unless you are extremely lean and under 5 foot- I am going to go out on a limb and say 900 is just not enough.
  • paulylovesme
    Options
    I make egg white mc muffins with whole wheat muffins. OMG they are so good. with a slice of cheddar.. I throw some spinach in my eggs when cookiing along with peppers n onions. Why no breads or pasta at all? I could never ever do that. If you just reduce your calories you will lose no need to cut out entire food groups. I dont knwo about anyone else but as soon as I say I cant have this or that I want it even more.. I eat like 1600 calories on avg a day and exercise a few times a week and Im losing.. I know everyones calorie deficit is different but less than 1200 how are you not hungry.. I would be.

By upping my protein I stay full longer. I am not cutting it out completely so to speak just limiting it to one portion at dinner only. I do that so I can have extra fuel for my kickboxing class at night. I just recently started to lose weight and I figure I am not going to starve to death ( I have plenty reserve) Trust me if I am hungry I eat. If I tell myself that a food is ok I will eat it all the time. If I say okay I have to limit myself then I will. I have a strong mindset once I get started. The spinach sounds like a great idea. Thanks! :)
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Add in cracked peppercorns, fresh basil, sun-dried tomato vinaigrette, green onions, and goat or feta cheese. My favorite would be with lots of kimchi, chopped spicy peppers, and sriracha sauce.
  • paulylovesme
    Options

that.

all I can think of is "egg white are disgusting"

I only eat mine one way.

cook bacon.
    drain half grease
    saute veggies (i'm partial to green peppers- tomatoes and onions- sometimes ham/sausage- but meh typically I don't)
    add scrambled eggs

I eat this pretty much every day- and I love it- but I know some people who can't do that.

Sweet potatoes as noted are a nice addition. But add the yolks.
    eat- enjoy. and why 900 calories? how big are you? 900 is like peanuts. I eat that before I leave work every day. I realize everyone is different but unless you are extremely lean and under 5 foot- I am going to go out on a limb and say 900 is just not enough.

I am not lean lol. I am 5'5" and 238 # (down 3!) I eat if I am hungry and feed my muscle with lots of protein. That is also how I stay full. Thanks for the ideas :)
  • clye_
    clye_ Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Can't help on the egg whites part of the message unfortunately but I have to add my 2 cents to this topic.. Not only is 900-1200 calories not sustainable like mentioned, but cutting out entire food groups isn't healthy nor is that sustainable either. Restrained eating and excessive calorie restriction is just a ticking time bomb for weight re-gain and binging. I hope you'll try and put some carbs in there and get a balanced diet going.
  • paulylovesme
    Options
    Add in cracked peppercorns, fresh basil, sun-dried tomato vinaigrette, green onions, and goat or feta cheese. My favorite would be with lots of kimchi, chopped spicy peppers, and sriracha sauce.

My entire family eats kimchi and I am too big of a baby to try :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I am not lean lol. I am 5'5" and 238 # (down 3!) I eat if I am hungry and feed my muscle with lots of protein. That is also how I stay full. Thanks for the ideas :)

holy crapola

you need to eat more

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

google TDEE- any calculator will work- that's the one I used.

at the very least you need to be eating 1700 just to lay on a bed comatose at your height and weight.

I put you as sedentary (just b/c I had to pick one) on a TDEE calculator and even if you just sat at home and played video games and ate food- you still need 2150-ish calories to just function.

Seriously. To lose 1 lb a week- you should aim for 1600 calories a day.

Seriously- eat more. add it back in at roughly 100 a week or so- as you are comfortable.
    being full is NOT a function of weight loss or gain.

trust me if it was about being full- body builders would never get where they are- they eat thousands of calories a day- even when they are full.. they set timers to wake up in the middle of the night to eat... why because they have to eat a certain amount to build.

being full has NOTHING to do with weight loss or gain. or maintenance.
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options

holy crapola

you need to eat more

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

google TDEE- any calculator will work- that's the one I used.

at the very least you need to be eating 1700 just to lay on a bed comatose at your height and weight.

I put you as sedentary (just b/c I had to pick one) on a TDEE calculator and even if you just sat at home and played video games and ate food- you still need 2150-ish calories to just function.

Seriously. To lose 1 lb a week- you should aim for 1600 calories a day.

Seriously- eat more. add it back in at roughly 100 a week or so- as you are comfortable.
    being full is NOT a function of weight loss or gain.

trust me if it was about being full- body builders would never get where they are- they eat thousands of calories a day- even when they are full.. they set timers to wake up in the middle of the night to eat... why because they have to eat a certain amount to build.

being full has NOTHING to do with weight loss or gain. or maintenance.

QFT1.jpg
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I add cheese, Canadian bacon, spinach, and tomatoes to mine. Also I cut green pepper rings and pour them into that to cook so they then fit nicely on an English muffin(80c).
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I actually just microwave my egg whites. It's quick.

But I stick to the classics, throw in some broccoli and olive oil.

Can't go wrong and mushroom and onion though.
  • paulylovesme
    Options
    Thanks all for the ideas :) Again I see no problem cutting out man made carbs. I am sorry to disagree with ya'll. I eat fruits and veggies and will have some sort of "heavy carb" Ie (pasta or rice or bread) before my pm work out. I am going to seriously consider raising my calories though. I do not want my body to just lose muscle and not fat. I have done that and I still am struggling to gain that muscle back. Again I do appreciate all of your comments :)
  • JSmith0806
    Options
    I use egg whites and add mushrooms and peco with a lil cheese
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I like to mix in one whole egg and about 1/2-3/4 cup of egg whites. The yolk not only gives it a better flavor but it also contains most of the nutrients in an egg. I also like to mix feta with my eggs for some taste. :)
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I add some egg beaters in and make scrambles in the morning - cut up a couple turkey sausage links and some spinach and scramble those around in it. What about making a fritatta for something a little different?
  • lrose50
    lrose50 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've been mixing egg whites, sweet potatoes and onions together, along with peppers and black pepper... very tasty!
    That sounds great - I'm going to try that !
  • aesquivel47
    aesquivel47 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like to throw in some spinach and put in muffin tins i can then bake into mini fritattas. I also add a wedge of laughing cow light chipotle cheese for a creamy egg white omelet.
  • myurav
    myurav Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the ideas :) Again I see no problem cutting out man made carbs. I am sorry to disagree with ya'll. I eat fruits and veggies and will have some sort of "heavy carb" Ie (pasta or rice or bread) before my pm work out. I am going to seriously consider raising my calories though. I do not want my body to just lose muscle and not fat. I have done that and I still am struggling to gain that muscle back. Again I do appreciate all of your comments :)

Smoked salmon! Woot! It's delicious. I usually do 1 regular egg + 1/2 egg whites + 2 oz smoked salmon.

Also, if you don't want to lose muscle quickly, you want to shrink your calorie deficit (i.e. eat more). If you just take a look at the myriad of posts on here, a lot of success stories start with "I started out at 1200, lost a lot, then plateaued and started eating more and then I kept losing weight". I know how nice it is to see the weight drop quickly, but over the long run, it's not too sustainable. And why not eat more food if you can? Food is delicious!!

Anyways, good luck with the egg whites - let us know if you have any good recipes to share :)