Sodium Content

Options
I've often read that we need to consume between 1,200-1,500mg of sodium per day. However, my sodium intake on the journal is much higher. Anyone know why that is?

Thanks for your help.

Alamogirl

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Because you eat too many salty foods? Most processed food has added salt, especially junk foods.
  • angelbaby75
    angelbaby75 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Because you eat too many salty foods? Most processed food has added salt, especially junk foods.

The GOAL on MFP is higher...not what was eaten.
  • alamogirl04
    Options
    I guess I didn't word it correctly. When I created my profile, I entered my weight, and how much I wanted to lose. It calculated how many calories I should be eating, and I've stayed within the calories. I noticed under the "sodium" portion, it allowed for a very high sodium content. I just assumed that no matter what numbers you entered, the sodium would be no more than 1,500.

Thanks for your reply.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You can change the settings on any of the macros. If you want it to say 1500 you can change it to that. Sodium is only an issue if you have a problem with it. An average healthy person can go way over on sodium with no ill effects.
  • alamogirl04
    Options

The GOAL on MFP is higher...not what was eaten.

@Angel, thanks for your reply. I wondered about that. As long as I'm sticking to the calorie portion, I noticed that I'm staying very close to 1,500mg.

Have a good day.
  • alamogirl04
    Options
    Thanks @Mokey. I'll look into changing the numbers. I didn't used to have a problem with sodium. My BP was always normal. Ever since I put on a lot of weight, my BP has gone up. I read that even if you lose 5 lbs., you can lower your BP.

I really like it here. Thanks for all your input.