Tingling in arms/hands when barbell on shoulder

Options
Good morning!!

I have a quick question. Last night I was lifting weights, and for the first time experienced tingling in my arms/hands. I only felt the tingling when I had the barbell on my shoulders (squats, lunges, plie squats).

I'm assuming it was bar placement, but I didn't have it placed any differently than I have before and I've been exercising for awhile now.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• AshleyFBerry
    AshleyFBerry Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Nobody?
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Probably some kind of nerve compression
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your pinching a nerve.
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Wear thicker clothes, if not stop doing that exercise...I squat using the V-Squat machine cause it has pads on it
  • tamadrummer001
    tamadrummer001 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The obvious answer would be a pinched nerve. Was this numbness/tingling bilateral or in one arm/hand only? Regardless of the answer, you are going to have to try again and see if it happens again. If it does, it is time to readjust what you are doing and make an appt with your doctor for some kind of radio-logical exam. (X-ray, ct, mri)

If you have that happen again, you may also want to examine the weight on the bar as well as try using one of those wrap around pads or your gym towel on your neck/shoulders for padding.
  • AshleyFBerry
    AshleyFBerry Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure thicker clothes is an option - I'm already quite the sweater.
    The tingling was in both arms. I was using the wrap around pads like I always do for extra padding. As far as the weight on the bar - I was tingling on my warm up set all the way through my heavier sets. I've been doing my warm up weight for months now without issue.

Yes, my plan was to see what happens on my next workout and go from there. I'm hoping it was some kind of fluke.

Thank you for the advice! I guess I'll see what happens.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Could be a result of the pressure on your neck/traps, or from the position of your arms. A tight pec minor can put pressure on the nerve bundle running down to your arms. Do wall slides cause the same numbness/tingle?

Try working on your thoracic spine mobility.