Scale going crazy after starting workout program

Options
I started a pretty intense workout program and since then have gained 2 pounds. I understand that losing fat and gaining muscle can mean you don't always see a neat downward slope in weight loss ... but can it make the scale go crazy? Like, I will literally gain or lose 10 pounds in a 24 hour period, and yes, I always weigh myself at the same time (morning, right after I get up.)

I know everyone says take measurements, but mine haven't changed. Then I read somewhere else that measurements are pretty hard to see a difference in until you lose at least a half inch.

And finally, am I EVER going to lose weight? Because at 5'3" I'm pretty sure I shouldn't weight 175 no matter how muscular I become :(

Just getting very discouraged because I can't tell if this exercise program is working at all.

Replies

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Weight gain right after starting a new workout program is almost always water weight. When you exercise, your body retains water to aid in repairing damaged/stressed tissue.

Don't sweat it, it's normal and should stabilize after 2-4 weeks. In the meantime, pull out a measuring tape and go by how your clothes are fitting.

(All this assumes that you're accurately reporting your calories and measuring your food, etc.)
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I gained about eight pounds after starting my new workout program. It's all water weight.
  • nikkirec
    nikkirec Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I started a weight lifting program almost two weeks ago and my weight loss has stalled big time but I expected this and am determined to not let it derail my efforts, after all I am in this to transform my body and that includes a healthy exercise program.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    1) Yes it's normal. In fact, I weighed 177.2lbs on 8/4. I started " The Butt Bible" on 8/7 and today the scale read 179.6lbs. My muscles are sore and the video is working areas that I have neglected for awhile, so I'm putting my bet on that it's all water weight. This happens every time I start a new workout and usually lasts for the first 1-2 weeks of the workout.

2) As soon as your muscles repair, the weight will come off. I recommend taking measurements as well, because with some workout programs the scale doesn't move much but inches seem to just fly right off.
  • adiostrasero
    adiostrasero Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all. I think I can train myself to not focus as much on the scale as long as I know that the program is really working in the long run ... so to hear that others have experienced this is very encouraging.

It's just hard when fit people tell you to not pay attention to the scale, because when you're trying to get in shape, weight loss is one of the only reliable ways to measure it ... and then when weight loss becomes unreliable, you feel a little lost, like, "Am I really doing this right?"

So yeah, that helps ... thanks :)
  • adiostrasero
    adiostrasero Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all. I think I can train myself to not focus as much on the scale as long as I know that the program is really working in the long run ... so to hear that others have experienced this is very encouraging.

It's just hard when fit people tell you to not pay attention to the scale, because when you're trying to get in shape, weight loss is one of the only reliable ways to measure it ... and then when weight loss becomes unreliable, you feel a little lost, like, "Am I really doing this right?"

And not saying that you all aren't fit, btw ... re-reading that sounds a little rude. I was just thinking about some friends of mine who say things like, "Don't pay attention to weight!" even though they are at a healthy weight and clearly don't follow their own advice :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Exercise does not always guarantee weight loss the way people think it does. I think this is an unfortunate side effect of old misinformation (like women shouldn't lift because they'll get "bulky") and shows like Biggest Loser that do a "last minute workout" before weighing in. Don't believe everything you read, see and hear!

How's your diet? Do you track consistently? Are you eating back earned calories? Do you weigh/measure your food? Do you hit goal consistently or are you more likely to come in way under or over?

As others have said, it is most likely water weight...basically any time you increase the intensity (new exercies, more weight, faster, farther), you stress your muscles and that tissue will retain water and glycogen to repair.

Forgot to add...weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Actually, the tape measure, clothes, and the mirror are the more reliable way to measure getting in shape.
  • sarabee0405
    sarabee0405 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Glad I read this today. I'm in the same boat. Nothing like seeing a weight gain after a few weeks of working out and eating healthy. It'll catch up :wink:
  • teerae326
    teerae326 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this! I started Insanity last week and the numbers have gone up instead of down... Real downer! But knowing that this is normal makes me feel tons better. I'll keep doing it and wait for the scale to start going down. Just keep working!
  • Sasha1417
    Sasha1417 Posts: 59 Member
    Options

• Sasha1417
    Sasha1417 Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Are you weighing yourself everyday? If so stop! You will drive yourself nuts! Weight yourself no more than one a week if you really can't hold yourself from doing so. Weight fluctuates a lot even if u do it at the same time... Stop weighing yourself and enjoy the ride.

It has worked wonders for me. I'm only weighing mys elf once a month to see a huge number ( by huge I mean 5 lbs lol). But do u get what I'm saying? If I do it that way I actually see the progress instead of feeling discouraged when I gain a few pounds.even if it isn't a lot it progress and there's ppl who loose only a tiny bit of weight and they look so different. Then there's ppl who loose a ton of weight and you can't tell. Weight is not a good determinate of progress. Wait until u feel great about your body and then weigh yourself. You may be surprised.
  • riveroflight
    Options
    I have the perfect thing. Rusty Moore's Visual Impact programs are easy to understand, and to stick to, and got me steady results. You'll want to see Visual Impact for Women. I'm betting, from what you wrote at the beginning, you'll like his philosophy. You'll work, but it's not total 'insanity'. You'll get steadily lean, without getting all 'bodybuilder'. You can tweak the workout for what you want exactly. Simple, smart, and *very* effective. Find out more about it here:

www.hotfitbody.com

Hope this helps. Warmly, -Me.

P.S. It's actually not quite misinformation. Male or female, testosterone or no, lifting *will* make you bulky, if you do it the way most trainers suggest. And, it's easy to learn how to lift to get a slim-but-strong look instead. Do yourself a favor and check out Rusty's philosophy.
  • areksz
    areksz Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi,

I haven't experieced the same problem but I agree with the posters above. Here's a quote:

"Water makes up approximately 65-90 percent of a person's weight, and variation in water content of the human body can move the scale by ten pounds or more from day to day," says Jeffrey A. Dolgan, a clinical exercise physiologist at Canyon Ranch in Miami Beach, Fla.

Personally, I do believe that overall diet is responsible for a good portion of the weight loss and of course an exercise program should be an integral part of any weight loss program. Personally I lost 10 pounds in the last 6 weeks and it can be mostly contributed to some changes to my diet and an exercise based weight loss program that only takes 90 minutes per week and eliminates cardio from the equation:

http://www.NoMoreCardio.com