working overnights

Options
hello everyone.. i work overnights.. 11pm to 7am.. i also am a single parent of a 4 year old pre k child. trying to figure out a schedule that will work with my body. looking for advise on workout times and eating times.

was thinking...
work 11pm to 7am.. sleep from 830 (after dropping her to school) til 230(pick up time) send her to sitters and go to gym or if its better to sleep til like 1 and go to gym then go get her from school.

Replies

• keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i used to work 11p - 9a. i wouldn't go to bed for a few hours, i tried to pretty much flip a day job hours. i wouldn't go to bed right after work at like 6pm so i didn't do that getting off in the am. i would get home around 930, make dinner, and stay up til about noon or 1, and then get up around 9pm. although i don't have any kids so with your schedule you can't really do what i did. sleep until you have to pick her up, if you go to bed at 830 then getting up at 1 is just gonna make you feel more tired.
  • likeabanner
    likeabanner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I work overnights full time and daytime part time. I pretty much eat my meals at normal times, even when I was only overnights. I would usually skip lunch obviously because I'm sleeping. But I would eat dinner when I woke up, and I would eat lunch on shift. If I knew I was going to be up for a little bit longer after work, I would still eat breakfast. So essentially I was usually eating 3 meals a day, just different times, if that makes sense.

I was working Sun - Weds 10pm to 8am. Now I work a random 3 or 4 overnights, the shortest shift being 8pm to 8am, and the longest bring 3pm to 8am. You make it work, but don't kill yourself trying to figure it out. Eat when you're hungry.
  • qweenovme
    qweenovme Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I work the same hours. I have for 15 years. I sleep from 7:30 till 11am, work out and do my daily chores then go back to bed at 5:00pm till 8:30. I have tried to change my sleep habits so I can get a longer period of sleep but my body wont let me so I only work 3 days in a row and play catch up on my night off. My son is a grown up so It works for me. You just have to see what works best for you. If I dont work out before my daily activities I find it hard to get it done.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    hello everyone.. i work overnights.. 11pm to 7am.. i also am a single parent of a 4 year old pre k child. trying to figure out a schedule that will work with my body. looking for advise on workout times and eating times.

was thinking...
    work 11pm to 7am.. sleep from 830 (after dropping her to school) til 230(pick up time) send her to sitters and go to gym or if its better to sleep til like 1 and go to gym then go get her from school.

I work 10pm to 6am. I wake up at 4pm and I hit the gym at five it gives me the burst of energy I need before heading into the office
  • nickiev214
    nickiev214 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I work overnights 5pm-5am 4 days on and 4 days off. Those 4 days I work I go to sleep as soon as I get home and wake up at 1pm to get my workout in before I take a shower, get ready for work, and spend time with my husband and kid. It's tough but it's what has to be done! :)
  • crazyred44
    Options
    ok and when did you workout likeabanner?
  • likeabanner
    likeabanner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    ok and when did you workout likeabanner?
    As of right now... I barely get any time TO work out. My spare time is spent trying to keep my house in order, errands, and trying to be a person. If I go to the gym, I have to cut 3 hours out of my sleep time between the actual workout, showering, and protein consumption. I was able to go to the gym whenever I pleased before picking up a second job. Now it's super difficult to go. Some weeks I get in 4 times, and other weeks I never do. The past month has been so hectic for me that I think I went 3 times.

Personally, it's much easier for me to go to the gym at the end of my shift. I'm already dirty from work, so it's nice to just hop to it, head right to the gym, then shower and relax or go to bed afterwards. Waking up early to go BEFORE work killed me.
  • Amy11108
    Options
    I would sleep the extra hour. 5 hours of sleep does not seem like much. Who watches her while you work? Could they take her to school and that way you can work out after work and then have more time with her in the afternoon before work?