Toning and HIIT?!?

Options
I'm currently 136 pounds at 5'8.
I have lost 70lbs and really need to tone.
I do hiit 3 times per week and two other cardio workouts.
I also do some toning 10 minute work outs for my arms, legs, abs, obliques and bum.
I unfortunately carry a lot of weight in my stomach region. Whilst I have a body fat of 18%, most is stored on my belly. I can't lose anymore weight and i dont want to as I have skinnyish arms and legs and would look silly if I lost anymore.
Any tips on toning?
Do you think I can tone by flabby belly?
Any suggestions really appreciated.

MY MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION IS CAN I TONE SUCCESFULLY WITHOUT WEIGHTS?

THANK YOU XXXX :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :smile:

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Why without weights?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    If by toning you mean increase muscle definition, the only way to do that is to increase muscle mass through heavy weight lifting. No amount of cardio or HIIT will do this for you. Whatever a "10 minutes toning workout" is, it's probably doing nothing. Why don't you want to lift weights?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    If by toning you mean increase muscle definition, the only way to do that is to increase muscle mass through heavy weight lifting. No amount of cardio or HIIT will do this for you. Whatever a "10 minutes toning workout" is, it's probably doing nothing. Why don't you want to lift weights?

^^^This and:

"Toning" a flabby midsection comes from lowering your overall BF%. You can 10,000 crunches a day, but if your body has fat in other areas to use as energy, it will probably take it from there first.

A "toned" midsection comes from.

Diet (caloric deficit) + Work (cardio and compound strength movements) + patience.

One thing you will notice, around here many if not most people on the site with nice midsections do very little to no isolated ab work.

I know you don't want to hear this, but you kind of put yourself behind the 8 ball by not strength training throughout your weightloss. Strength training would have maintained muscle mass while you lost fat, giving you the tone that you're looking for now. By losing weight with no strength program you lost both LBM and Fat. Now you need to try to build some of that muscle back in order to have "tone", which is really difficult especially if you're still eating at a deficit, and with being female.

You can get some "noob" gains, but I'm not sure if that will do what you're looking for. I'd recommend looking up some body weight exercises (convict conditioning) if you can't get to a gym, if you can get to the gym, look into a starting strength program and get started ASAP to maintain the muscle mass you have.
  • Abo1995
    Abo1995 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am doing all my workouts at home and have found body resistance exercises to tone. I haven't got much money or room and weights are expensive. If I really need them to do this then I'll find a way x
  • fattymcbuttrpants
    fattymcbuttrpants Posts: 42 Member
    Options

^^^This and:

"Toning" a flabby midsection comes from lowering your overall BF%. You can 10,000 crunches a day, but if your body has fat in other areas to use as energy, it will probably take it from there first.

Diet (caloric deficit) + Work (cardio and compound strength movements) + patience.

One thing you will notice, around here many if not most people on the site with nice midsections do very little to no isolated ab work.

I know you don't want to hear this, but you kind of put yourself behind the 8 ball by not strength training throughout your weightloss. Strength training would have maintained muscle mass while you lost fat, giving you the tone that you're looking for now. By losing weight with no strength program you lost both LBM and Fat. Now you need to try to build some of that muscle back in order to have "tone", which is really difficult especially if you're still eating at a deficit, and with being female.

You can get some "noob" gains, but I'm not sure if that will do what you're looking for. I'd recommend looking up some body weight exercises (convict conditioning) if you can't get to a gym, if you can get to the gym, look into a starting strength program and get started ASAP to maintain the muscle mass you have.

^^THIS

http://eattoperform.com/2013/09/07/5-arguments-for-cardio-and-one-against/
  • Abo1995
    Options
    RGV2- When I first started loosing weight I had just turned 15 so I was completely unaware of why a low calorie diet and no weight training was a bad thing. I realise I have messed up my metabolism and am 'skinny'. I don't want to build muscle per say or have washboard abs. Just a flat stomach that doesnt wobble when I walk
  • AJ_G
    Options
    RGV2- When I first started loosing weight I had just turned 15 so I was completely unaware of why a low calorie diet and no weight training was a bad thing. I realise I have messed up my metabolism and am 'skinny'. I don't want to build muscle per say or have washboard abs. Just a flat stomach that doesnt wobble when I walk

If you have excess fat on your stomach, the only way get rid of it is to decrease your body fat %, plain and simple. If you don't want to lose any more body fat, then you have to put on some muscle, and cut down again to be where you want to be.
  • Abo1995
    Options
    Ok thank you for your help. This is all very new too me and If I had have known about all this resistance training, bf and calorie defecits when I was young it would have helped.
    I think I am going to try and put on some muscle instead of decreasing my body fat which is already 18% (considered athletic).
  • AJ_G
    Options
    Ok thank you for your help. This is all very new too me and If I had have known about all this resistance training, bf and calorie defecits when I was young it would have helped.
    I think I am going to try and put on some muscle instead of decreasing my body fat which is already 18% (considered athletic).

That would be my recommendation. Eat at a slight calorie surplus, lift heavy, and hit your protein minimum, and you'll put on muscle in no time. You look great by the way. Keep it up.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

^^^This and:

Agreed.

Lose more fat, lift more weights.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I realise money can be an issue, I've been working out at home for over 2 years but have recently joined a gym as I can't progress anymore at home without a squat rack and bench. I've joined easygym, it's £17.99 a month and I've just found another even cheaper gym at only £12.99, bargain! There are quite a few of these cheap style gyms around and they don't tie you into a contract, you can cancel at anytime, really worth giving it a go.

Good luck!

ETA: you're in the UK like me so thought I'd let you know what's out there : )
  • Abo1995
    Options
    Thank you everyone, my goal here is to make sure I don't wobble anymore. I dont want to be able too see my abs just want them to not jiggle around haha