Which workout yields the best results: Insanity or P90X?

Options
I'm sure this is every bit of an age-old debate in the weight-loss world by now, and so I deeply apologize if this has been pretty thoroughly brought up and addressed in these forums in the past. Unfortunately, I think most of us know all too well just how not-so-friendly MFP's search feature is :-/

Sooooooo, with that said...

I'm curious of which between Insanity and P90X do you believe to yield the best results, both short-term (at least a month) and long-term (three months or more)?

Also, which is or seems to be the most difficult?

And preferably, I would really like to get input either from those who have actually tried both programs OR from those who have tried neither but have researched or observed a lot of both in the past. I say this because I figure that anyone who has tried just one of the programs will quite likely be partial to (or perhaps even against) the one they tried, and so I figure those who have tried both or neither might be the most objective.

I have seriously been putting off doing either of these (well, I tried maybe one session of P90X a few years ago, but ummm...yeah, that was during a time I wasn't really serious about losing weight and in the worse shape, both unlike now), but with two recently discovered realities, I am finally really thinking about it for once:

Reality #1: Being around 200lbs. for the past several weeks now and becoming increasingly even more tired of seeing my belly flab that just won't go away (even though, granted, it has for sure come a lonnng way..but still)

Reality #2: As much as I hate to admit it and b*tched all along the way, the 30-Day Shred I did from early June to early July did manage to keep me consistently doing a pretty intense workout routine -- it certainly wasn't fun, but I was motivated to do it nearly every day (only two rest days, one between each "level") with one of the main reasons being feeling compelled to complete and, to get the absolute most out of it, in a pretty timely manner. Since the 30DS, I've ordered and done several other, more "fun" (read: dance..and kickboxing) workout DVDs, and while they have been absolutely great, I just am not finding myself doing any of them consistently, and even when I do, the calorie burn of course isn't like some of those way less-fun programs, lol..

Nevertheless, I'm leaning toward Insanity...but the jury's still out.

Sooooooooooo....thoughts? Experiences? Ideas? Suggestions?

Replies

• lstarrb
    lstarrb Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know what people think about this too. I've done both..but I don't think it counts if you only complete one month of each program and then just do the different videos as you see fit haha. I like the pace of Insanity and the instruction. I need to just go ahead and give the 90 days for p90x and then the 60 on Insanity. Then maybe I could give a real answer haha. Anyone else have suggestions?
  • elementau
    Options
    I think for weight loss and conditioning, I think by far Insanity will yield faster results. For strength, muscle tone, definition, and balance, I think P90x is better.

For short term results I think Insanity.

For long term, I think P90x. P90x makes you conscious of overall lifestyle.

Put the 2 back to back and you'll have half a year's worth of regimen.

Add a "Couch to 5k" regimen at the tail end, and you're set for the year. Just in time for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New years... then start all over again LoL
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I keep starting and stopping Insanity. lol
    Wussing out.

Jillian's voice starts to annoy me after awhile too. But that's just an observation, not the reason I quit. :bigsmile:

I envy the people who have kept up with it. I can lift heavy weights, but that cardio and jumping with lighter weights, kicks my butt.
  • faisalfaz
    Options
    I lost 14 KG's doing p90x and p90x2. But i notice that insanity guys are more fit
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I completed P90X and it helped me change my entire life. I lost 30 lbs doing that program and it helped me be more smart with my food choices and realize how strong and fit I can actually be. I then bought Insanity since I had wanted to try something new. I made it about a month through before I injured myself. At this point I had become a fitness instructor and was teaching multiple classes a wekk and trying to complete Insanity. What I found was that it was way too much cardio and way too much impact for me in combination with my classes. I;m sure had I only been doing Insanity I would have seen some pretty good results as well.

The main difference I found with the programs was my progress. With P90X I felt stronger every time I did a workout, I noticed that I had gotten stronger, this muscle showed up etc. With Insanity I didn't feel like I was getting any stronger or better no matter how many times I did that particular workout. It was rather discouraging and I found that I didn't look forward to the workout the way i had with P90X. Also, Shaun T's voice/grammar really annoyed me.... but don't let that be what persuades you to do a certain program.

You also have to look at what your goals are when you choose a program. P90X is all about lifestyle change, full rounded fitness. It has all the different aspects of fitness that are outlined in the ACSM's guidelines for health and fitness: Cardiovascular, Resistance, Flexibility, and Neuromuscular. Insanity has these as well, so it is a balanced fitness program, but I feel like the flexibility and the resistance training are sort of lower on the totem pole than the cardio portion. What I've found in the fitness field is that generally most people need more flexibility and resistance training to keep everything in balance and to keep quality of life and daily activities.

Just like with any exercise, nutrition is the key to finding lasting and healthy results. P90X's nutritional program is the most complete that I've seen from the beach body programs, and it was the easiest for me to convert to real life application. The Insanity one doesn't truely break it down for you the way P90X did.

So in my opinion, P90X is a more well rounded program if you're looking for all over fitness and nutrition.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I've done both programs. After I finished P90X for the third time I started my own routine. I can not tell you how ineffective I now find both P90X and Insanity.
    I think you would be better advised to do several days of weight training and one or two days of cardio.
  • jabrock9
    jabrock9 Posts: 65
    Options
    I've never fully completed P90X, just here and there, but I've done one full round of Insanity and now am doing it with a friend 3 to 4 days a week along with heavy weights on alternate days. I love this program. I didn't have a lot to lose to start with, but it's changed my body composition for sure, and I'm much fitter than I've ever been. I can't say enough good things.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    tl;dr

Just pick either one and start it, for Pete's sake. You could have finished both of them by now. Also, unless you've been diagnosed with only 5 months to live, 3 months isn't long term. Not even close
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    really?

honestly- truthfully?

pick the one you like the most and will stick to.

ANY Program is effective if you just stick to it- which 99% of the population won't- that's WHY there are programs.

THere is so much information out there- you don't NEED one- but the reason buy them is because it's an actual program... so if you are going to do a program- USE IT. And commit to it.

I prefer p90x only because it includes MORE weights... I like doing Insanity style workouts- but not constantly. But either one is good if you just commit to it.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Insanity is much more about cardiovascular endurance than building muscle. P90x is more focused on overall body composition. Insanity will yield quicker weight loss by a country mile though in my own experience. I have done both of these programs.
  • IZackV13
    IZackV13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Insanity is much more about cardiovascular endurance than building muscle. P90x is more focused on overall body composition. Insanity will yield quicker weight loss by a country mile though in my own experience. I have done both of these programs.

This.

Insanity is VERY cardio intensive, yet there are still PLENTY of plyometric and body-weight exercises to aid in muscle building and toning. P90X is probably a bit more "body sculpting/building" focused, so depends on what you're after.

Leaning / Weight Loss: Insanity
    Building / Sculpting : P90X

IMHO
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options

This.

Insanity is VERY cardio intensive, yet there are still PLENTY of plyometric and body-weight exercises to aid in muscle building and toning. P90X is probably a bit more "body sculpting/building" focused, so depends on what you're after.

Leaning / Weight Loss: Insanity
    Building / Sculpting : P90X

IMHO

P90X is too cardio intensive for true building IMO.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    tl;dr

I prefer P90X because it is geared towards lifting. The cardio, however, is lacking a bit. Plyometrics is pretty good, but the Kempo is pretty much useless. When starting out, take your time and listen to your body. If you are a beginner to working out, it can be pretty shocking at first.

If you prefer more (and better) cardio workouts, do Insanity.

Regardless of what program you do, the results will be determined by your commitment to the work outs and more importantly to your diet.
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    I've done both of these and still consider myself on the "tubby" side but much less "tubby" since tackling both of these (on multiple occasions over the last year or so). Both programs will give you results but it's all dependent on your diet. They're intense in very different ways but they work if you follow the program. My perspective:

P90X: 3 days of resistance training; 2 days of Cario; 1 day of Yoga. Each are about 1 hour with Yoga being 90 mins. 90 days and flips around the resistance program every month. 3 weeks on then a rest week with no resistance; 3 weeks on then a rest week with no resistance, etc.

Insanity: Very cardio intense; The 1st 10 min "warm-up" (yeah not really!!!!) is a beast and sets the tone. You will be dripping puddles even if you modify a lot. The goal is to go balls to the wall for the session then a brief rest to get your HR down; Rinse and repeat. You're HR will be through the roof almost immediately. Generally there are 2-3 sets per workout day where you increase intensity about every minute for a total of around 3 minutes then get a brief rest. Month 1 is about 45 mins per workout; Month 2 ramps that up to about 1 hour. A Recovery day is built into the program every Thursday (i.e. the 4th day of the week). 6 days a week like P90X. As an other mentioned there is a good deal of body weight exercise (i.e. planks, push ups, etc.) as well as jumping.

SO depending on your current fitness level, P90X can be seen as more manageable. If you have trouble walking 2-3 miles you might have real issues sticking with Insanity. Seriously, the 1st 10 minute warm up period is a beast in itself never mind what follows. Thinking back where I started I do not think I could've tackled Insanity without major modifications to the program.

I did P90X first and there are 3 programs you can do: Lean (a bit more Cardio focused); Classic (as I stated above) and a Doubles (Classic + More Cardio).

P90X is probably like going 0 - 60 mph while Insanity is 0 - 100 mph. So if you're not in at least fair cardio fitness level it may be more beneficial to do something before Insanity.

One other note: Shawn T (Insanity trainer) just released a new program called T25. It's Insanity-like but only 25 minutes a day with a good modifier program to help you build up your Cardio fitness. 60 day program, 5 days a week (one day is a double) plus 1 Stretch workout. This could be a great starting point as well to get you into the groove and it's only 25 minutes so pretty easy to commit. I'm coming off an Insanity then P90X the last 5 months and needed a little bit of a break from the 1hr a day regime of those two programs.

Hope that helps.
  • miksmomma2011
    miksmomma2011 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have done both programs. P90x is more weight training & Insanity is a high intensity cardio workout. I got much better results with Insanity & I like it more than P90x. Shawn T in Insanity is awesome and keeps you motivated through the program. Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Insanity is better short term, but you'll pay for it with higher risk of injury and joint pain. P90X (to me) is more enjoyable, but the workouts are a lot longer. I feel that it does a better job of building a fitness base and muscle base instead of just trying to burn as many calories in as short a time as Insanity does. I think because of this, P90x will give longer term results and less risk of injury.
  • Badassey
    Badassey Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend Power 90. If you're worried about not being able to complete P90X or Insanity without getting discouraged and quitting (this was a huge worry for me), you should definitely do this program first. It's basically the precursor to P90X, with Tony Horton as the trainer in Power 90 as well. I am on day 61 of Power 90 and I have really been enjoying it. I haven't lost a ton of weight but that is definitely due to my poor diet, not the exercise.

The workout is good. Basically, you alternate between Sweat and Sculpt + Ab Ripper, every other day with one rest day per week. After 45 days of Sweat 1-2, Sculpt 1-2, and Ab Ripper 100 you move onto Sweat 3-4, Sculpt 3-4, and Ab Ripper 200. The workouts are between 30 minutes and 50 minutes. It can get monotonous - doing the workouts every other day. But you get what you put in... Tony Horton gives you a lot of ways to amp up the workout - "if you're tired, do "ABC" ; if you're feeling fine, step it up to "XYZ."

I am doing a "240 Day Challenge" where I complete Power 90 (90 days), P90X (90 days), and Insanity (60 days). As I said before, I am on day 61 of Power 90. So 61/240. I'm like 1/4 of the way there!

Shameless plug, but I do have a blog where I post about the 240 Day Challenge (more specifically, Power 90, for right now) you can view it here: http://www.badassey.com/power90/
  • riveroflight
    Options
    Neither. Workout smart, not 'intense'. The intensity folks are selling is so unnecessary and discourages people who think that's the only way to get fit. Get better, faster results with a smart workout that won't discourage you. Try Visual Impact. (Yes, you will work, don't get me wrong.) Two months and I'm good, and usually sooner.

www.hotfitbody.com

Hope this is helpful. -B.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I really like P90X. I felt like I could modify a bit at first and then worked my way up. I've been through it twice in the past. Now I just use it in between my sports days. I use it because I get RESULTS.

I've dabled with Insanity, it seems more intense but really works ya! I don't think I was ready for it wasn't as fit, I almost threw up.
  • dannyferris9
    Options
    You Know the problem with all these workouts, the work bit.

It really doesn't matter which one you choose, you will need to put the effort in to gain any benefit at all. The secret , if you like, is to find one that you like and you find enjoyable.

To that end it is difficult to say which is best Insanity or P90x. Just because someone says they recommend one doesn't mean it will inspire you. I would suggest looking at the type of workouts involved in both and picking the one you think would be the most fun. Remember your fitness level as well, some of these programs can get pretty intense really quickly.

Personally I have used and liked the workouts of Turbulance as outlined here http://myintervaltraining.com again its another one of those programs that some people will prefer more than others.

Just pick a routine that will make you want to join in, you can do given your level of fitness, combines exercise with diet and all over fitness and strength training. Soon you will start to see the body you have always wanted start to appear.

Have fun and good Luck. Danny