Cardio VS Strength Training

Options
Curious to see which you believe is best cardio or strength training? Personally, I have been trying to stick with circuit training every day and brisk walking at night at least an hour. What do you think is best for reaching your goal?

Replies

• Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I don't think one is better than the other, I think you need a healthy mix of both. Strength training is equally as important as cardio, if all you do it cardio you will eventually burn muscle, not fat.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Please go search this topic - it's been beaten to death numerous times before - a balance is good.....
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Cardio for weight loss and strength for toning the argument between the two clans is counter productive with myths about cardio burning muscle etc!
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I guess it might depend on your goal and what you like doing.

I lost a lot of weight doing cardio and lifting pink dumbells for a bazillion of reps, I ended up looking like a smaller version of what I was when I was heavy. Flabby but smaller.

Now the only reason I do cardio anymore is cause it's Hockey season and I wanna stuff myself with chicken wings and beer until my tummy explodes. Aside from that I lift heavy and my body is starting to look the way I really wanted it to (I shall have guns one day, I shall!!)

The way I see it :
    Cardio = Makes you look good with clothes on
    Heavy lifting = same as above but naked as well
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Cardio for weight loss and strength for toning the argument between the two clans is counter productive with myths about cardio burning muscle etc!

This is wrong. Cardio is for endurance, not for weight loss. Caloric deficit is for weight loss. Strength is for getting stronger and maintaining LBM. "Toning" is cr@p.

To answer OP's question - it all depends upon your goal(s). If you want to run a marathon, do more cardio. If you want to get stronger, lift heavy weights.
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Balance of both is good. I personally don't really enjoy lifting (*gasp!*) so I tend to be more cardio heavy (specifically running and biking). I do find other ways to get strength training in even if it's not lifting.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Curious to see which you believe is best cardio or strength training? Personally, I have been trying to stick with circuit training every day and brisk walking at night at least an hour. What do you think is best for reaching your goal?

Cardio = Look good in the Board Room
    Strength Training = Look awesome in the Bedroom

I love strength training and tolerate cardio.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different :)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Well considering that each does a different job, I would say neither is better than the other. Strength is about anaerobic exercise, cardio is about aerobic exercise. Which would you prefer:
    - A skinny-fat person. Super aerobic endurance, but can barely lift a 10lb bowling ball.
    - A super muscular person. Can bench press a semi truck, but can barely run 100 yards before getting winded.
    - A person who is trained both aerobicly and anaerobicly. Can run that 5K Turkey Trot with the family and can help Bob easily build that new outdoor cinder block fireplace.

Really a combination of both is best. Personally, I like getting the looks from people at the airport when I say I can lift my own suit case. Or from my command when I tell them I run half marathons.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Best? Depends what you are trying to accomplish.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    My weight training sessions are similar to cardio. Heart rate is in the 115-125 range but I still throw in 20min of cardio 203 times a week for health benefits and to be in a greater calorie deficit.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    There is no "best"

It's what motivates you to keep going. Do you like running? Then RUN. Do you like lifting weights? Then LIFT! Do what makes you happy and keeps you going. Always be open to trying something different though, because you never know what will inspire you.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Cardio is best for cardio vascular health and all activities dependent on cardiovascular conditioning.

Strength training is best strength, appearance and health issues tied to body fat (when coupled with an appropriate diet).

So the answer to which is best is: it depends.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I don't feel one is better than the other, but I will say that I am getting more results now that I started lifting than when I was only doing cardio...
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options
    BOTH.

They're both better in their own ways, therefore, must do a combination.

/end thread.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    ABdReu8.jpg

All kidding aside, I agree with one of the above posters. I love strength training and tolerate cardio. I basically do cardio to create a caloric deficit, build endurance, maintain cardiovascular health and also for overall stress relief
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Well considering that each does a different job, I would say neither is better than the other. Strength is about anaerobic exercise, cardio is about aerobic exercise. Which would you prefer:
    - A skinny-fat person. Super aerobic endurance, but can barely lift a 10lb bowling ball.
    - A super muscular person. Can bench press a semi truck, but can barely run 100 yards before getting winded.
    - A person who is trained both aerobicly and anaerobicly. Can run that 5K Turkey Trot with the family and can help Bob easily build that new outdoor cinder block fireplace.

Really a combination of both is best. Personally, I like getting the looks from people at the airport when I say I can lift my own suit case. Or from my command when I tell them I run half marathons.

TRUTH!!