Zumba!

Options
I've seen a lot of people posting that they've burned X amount of calories doing Zumba for X timeframe. How are you folks coming up with this? I don't see Zumba in the list of exercises, so I was just trying to figure out how this was figured. :) I've never done Zumba, but see it offered as a class at my gym and was curious about it. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM to keep track of the cals I'm burning.

And I LOVE Zumba. I'm usually a couch potatoe. But Zumba is the workout for me. I do it 4-5 times a week and it never gets boring.
  • rubycarol
    Options
    Good for you on your weight loss!!!!!!:smile:
  • akellyking77
    akellyking77 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I used a heart rate monitor too. I LOVE Zumba and do it at home instead of the gym. It's a lot of fun and will wear you out.
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    I use my HRM, and added Zumba to my list of Exercises. The calorie burn varies on the person, class, instructor, your mood, the tide (ok so maybe not the tide, but you get the picture).
  • maviolette
    maviolette Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I use an HRM as well. It's consistently been 400 calories for a 55 minute class.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I also use a HRM.. it's really the only way to get the best account of calories burne. It always depends on the routine, your instructor and the energy in the class! I can burn anywhere from 600-800 in 60 min. I loooove it, I also do zumba toning, slower speed with light weights.. I do the classes 2-4 times a week. Zumba love!
  • kcurtis05
    kcurtis05 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba! If you have the opportunity, DO IT! I credit most of my weight loss to Zumba. I started out only once a week, now 2-3, and hopefully soon 3-4 days a week. It is a lot of fun and a great burn with minimal soreness.
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I tried the learning DVD for Zumba, but i had a really hard time with it. I am extremely uncoordinated and got myself totally mixed up (even when they were going super slow-mo step by step). I ended up giving the DVD to my sister. I am working on the cordination thing with my Wii Fit, though, so maybe smeday i will be able to take it back from her :-)
  • angelsxzist
    angelsxzist Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What is Zumba? I've seen this word throughout the forum so it must be popular. Can it be done at home and can someone older(me) do it?
  • lcg1
    lcg1 Posts: 3
    Options
    My work offered a free Zumba class yesterday. I am super uncoordinated and was worried I wouldn't be able to keep up, but realized about halfway throught that I was having so much fun. The teacher said not to worry so much about doing the steps perfectly, rather the focus was on keeping moving. We did all kinds of hip swining, rear end swinging, shoulder swaying - wow - a whole body workout and I really sweated! Going to look for a class near my home.
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    What is Zumba? I've seen this word throughout the forum so it must be popular. Can it be done at home and can someone older(me) do it?

Zumba is a dance routine, it is kind of Spanish / Mexican dance. There are many different kinds of moves, the one that i rememebr is the Samba. It is quite neat, and was fun, but i got so mixed up and tripped over myself!
  • thenebean9
    Options

There are different types of Zumba - and if you don't think you're ready to give regular ol' Zumba a try, check www.zumba.com for a Zumba Gold class near you! Zumba Gold is Zumba, but it's for the older population or deconditioned participants. It won't be as intense but you still get a great workout! Usually, a lot of the jumping and excessive twisting is left out of the routines. Definitely give it a try :)
  • Leki84
    Leki84 Posts: 3
    Options
    zumba sound great, i love dancing... i hate to have a same routine daily i get bored quick
  • vencellia
    vencellia Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You can use your Hrm and it counts the calories burned!! I usually burn around 500-800 depending on how much I give it!! Hrm tells it all!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I just use Dance..modern twist...or belly dancing....I typed in 60 minutes into those on MFP...and then created my own exercise...called it Zumba...with the same calorie burn. From what my friends who have HRM post...I'm probably under counting...but I'd rather under count than over count, and I don't have a HRM yet.
  • dawnmarie1971
    Options
    I have been doing ZUMBA for a while, and its awesome...My instructors have said a 1 hour class can burn anywhere from 600 to 800 calories. Zumba is a fitness class with latin rythems, set to dance steps like the salsa, cumbia, raggeton..etc.. I have been taking the class for approx a year. But in the last 4 months, i have been taking it 5 days a week. If you like to dance, you will absolutely love ZUMBA...It is contagious and very addicting.
  • rubycarol
    Options
    I'm planning on going to a Zumba class tomorrow morning and a gentle yoga class right after. I've only been to one Zumba class and thought I was going to die, but felt so good after.

You're doing great with your weight loss! Keep it up.

I've just gotten over a sinus infection and feeling a lot better. And I'm going back to my Curves class today.

Take care.
  • rubycarol
    Options
    Well, I went to Zumba today and then stayed for the "gentle yoga. I thought I was going to die!!!!!!! And I think the instructor went 15 minutes longer on the yoga just to torture me.:smile:

Think I'll stick to Curves, walking and riding my bilke.