Bodymedia

Options
Who has one, do you like it? Does it work for you? Is it worth it in your opinion?

Replies

• kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it --- would have to google it to find out what it is
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I have one and love it. I have the BodyMedia Core. I exercise more because I like to see the numbers. The calories burned is spot on.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I have one. I liked it. It was fun to see the numbers. It motivated me to move more. The numbers seem right for me. BUT it's very noticeable especially in the summer and I got tired of people asking me what it was, and the tan lines and stuff.
  • jmreich30
    jmreich30 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have a Bodymedia FitLink w/Bluetooth and love it. I've been wearing for the last 8 months. It's a great way to accurately track your calories burned as well as sleep and steps. Its also a great motivator to make you want to beat your previous calorie burns. It also helps in that you can analyze your workouts by checking your calories burnt over certain times using your phone or their website after uploading. This allows you to adjust your workouts to where you find what burns the most for you or pushes you to push harder next time in the same workout or change it up.

I would recommend the FitLink w/Bluetooth as you can track and upload via bluetooth on your smartphone rather than always having to plug it in to look at data.
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    Have a BM link and love it. It replaced a Fitbit one which I hated. There is a Forum for Body media BTW
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I have a bodymedia link and I love it. It reads a touch high for me, but my activity level is so varied (1700-3600 cal/day) that I find it very useful in maintaining a deficit. Plus you can export data and get useful information and patterns from what it collects. Totally worth it for me.
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have one and love it, hoping that by next summer I won't need it though, can't have tan lines when I am wearing my strapless wedding dress next fall!
  • DEEDLYNN
    DEEDLYNN Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I have a Body Bugg that is sync thru Body Media. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. It truly helps me to move more because I want to hit a certain target each day.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I've had it for about 6 months. It's helped me to understand my habits, patterns and issues. It also motivates me to go the extra mile (literally!) to earn a few more calories. I've lost about 30 pounds since I got it.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I have one and use it on and off. I hate the band on the arm and I hope they could refine it with a better inconspicuous look. I also find the Velcro wears out and I have had to sew the closure on. I do find it to be quite accurate and it did help me to learn what my true calorie burn is as well as my sleep patterns.
  • CassieFindley86
    CassieFindley86 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just got the Bdoymedia Wireless LINK Armband yesterday. I charged it last night and when I put it on this morning, it said I had already burned 495 calories...but it was just sitting on my couch plugged into my computer. I had already put my stats in, so I am not sure if it thought I was sleeping?

I also read on the directions to only where it 23 hours a day...how do I choose when to take it off? Does it matter? Obviously it should probably be when I take a shower and the remainder of that time....what does everyone else do?

Last question...does it start over at 12am with new stats?

Thanks everyone!
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Just a guess here, but maybe it's giving you the calories as a sleep credit because it turns over at midnight? I ordered a core and should get it next week.
  • syk731
    syk731 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yes, when you don't wear it, it estimates what you're burning based on your prior patterns. It's supposed to become more and more accurate as you wear it more, even when you take it off, because it knows what you're normal burn is around that time.

I've had one since April and I've found it to be extremely with weight loss. I'm definitely a data junkie, though.

I also am not so thrilled with the armband but I love it so much I deal with it. I really don't like people to ask me about it so in the summer I have to wear longer short sleeves that cover it and are also not too tight.
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I just got the Bdoymedia Wireless LINK Armband yesterday. I charged it last night and when I put it on this morning, it said I had already burned 495 calories...but it was just sitting on my couch plugged into my computer. I had already put my stats in, so I am not sure if it thought I was sleeping?

I also read on the directions to only where it 23 hours a day...how do I choose when to take it off? Does it matter? Obviously it should probably be when I take a shower and the remainder of that time....what does everyone else do?

Thanks everyone!

To answer your question:

1: Your body continues to burn calories even while you sleep, and since your "new day" starts at midnight (your local time), that is why you are seeing calories already burned.

2: They suggest you wear it 23hrs/dy because the only time it should be off is when you are changing, taking a bath/shower/swimming, or plugging it in to charge.

BodyMedia is a great device. I wore my BMF Core for over a year and got very useful information out of it. My only complaint is that it is very bulky and has to be worn in a very conspicuous place on the arm, so you get questioned a lot by total strangers as to what it is. I tan very easily, so I end up looking like a zebra (and as a human, that was not very attractive :laugh: )
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options

The only time I take mine off is to Shower and let it charge up than. I ensure it is off for at least 30 min and then I can enter an adjustment for calories burned. I always use the "I burned the same as" option and pick the lowest calories shown.

Yes is starts each day at midnight.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

Thanks everyone!
    [/quo

The only time I take mine off is to shower or charge.

Yes, it starts over at midnight. I have the display device, which gives real time numbers, and I checked it once at midnight, turned to my husband and said, "I've burned one calorie today!"