It's crock pot time!

Options
darkheart
darkheart Posts: 104 Member
My boyfriend's awesome mom got us a crock pot after she found out that I wanted one! I can't wait to use it. I often do not have time to cook during the work week and love the idea of throwing a bunch of ingredients together before leaving for work and having a full meal ready by the time I get home.

Anyone have any tasty and healthy crock pot recipes? I am a fan of Trader Joe's mango chicken sausage and after doing some extensive searching, I found one that I am probably going to try tomorrow! I am going to substitute some of the ingredients for things I already have in my cupboards. The recipe calls for any sausage, but I will be substituting the TJ's mango chicken sausage, dried cranberries instead of raisins, and instead of rice, I will be using toasted millet. I am also going to use low sodium, low fat, all natural chicken broth too.

Feel free to post recipes of your own :)

Slow Cooker Autumn Sausage Casserole

Ingredients:

Servings:4-6

* 1 lb sausage, any flavor
* 1 large apple, chopped, no need to peel
* 1 yellow onion, chopped
* 1/2 cup chopped carrot
* 3 cups already cooked long-grain rice
* 1/2 cup raisins
* 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
* 1 tablespoon brown sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon allspice
* 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
* 1/3 cup chicken broth or 1/3 cup water

Directions:

Prep Time: 30 mins

Total Time: 7 1/2 hrs

1. 1 The Directions.
2. 2 The amount of ingredients fit nicely in a 4 quart crockpot. I'd say this comfortably feeds a family of 4-5 with a bit of leftovers. If you have a large family or teenagers, add more rice and sausage. It's a pretty easy recipe to adapt to your needs.
3. 3 If you are going to use uncooked pork sausage, I'd recommend browning on the stove top, and draining before adding to the crockpot.
4. 4 Otherwise, dump all the ingredients into the crock, and stir well.
5. 5 Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours, or on high for 3-4. You're really only heating through, and allowing the vegetables to soften.
6. 6 This will not stick together like a gloppy casserole; it has the consistency of fried rice. Use bowls to serve rather than plates.

Replies

• iknowicaniknowican
    Options
    Salsa chicken... Put 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts in your crock . They should be frozen. Pour 1 large jar salsa over chicken. Add some red and green peppers and some taco seasoning and cook on low all day. Shred the chicken . This is super yummy on it's own and in a whole wheat tortilla.
  • Mollie007
    Options
    That salsa chicken sounds good! I'll make that tomorrow. :)
  • theemstress
    theemstress Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yum, I think I'll try this one this weekend. Thanx for posting!
  • cuppycake22
    Options
    Yummy!! Thanks for posting!
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    Thanks for both of those recipes! I love using my crock pot, but honestly I've been buying pre-packaged meals and throwing them in...not the healthiest. I look forward to trying both!
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    Bump
  • mommylucy
    Options
    Here's a different take on the Salsa Chicken: put three boneless/ skinless breasts (frozen) with bbq sauce in there for 6 hours on low. Shred the chicken and serve on whole wheat buns or Sandwich Thins (orowheat). With this, my kids have Trader Joe's oven fries, but I will have a small mini-salad with 1 medium tomato (bite-size chopped), half a red bell pepper chopped same size and shredded carrots. Top that with 1-2 TB of low-fat ranch and lots of cracked black pepper. Y.U.M.!
  • darkheart
    Options
    That salsa chicken sounds so good! I can't believe how easy it is to make, too. I think my crock pot will be getting a lot of use :)
  • shuber
    shuber Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    This is what I have going right now....

2 large chicken breasts
    1/2 jar extra hot salsa
    1 large onion, sliced
    1 large bell pepper, sliced
    On high for 3 hours, low for 3 hours

After 6 hours, will shred chicken and add
    1 cup black beans
    12oz whole kernel corn

May add some taco seasoning if it's not very flavourful on it own. Then top with 1/2 cup cilantro at the end. Serving over a bed of spinach for me and tortillas for the rest of the family.
    Hope it turns out because the calories are great - Sodium is a bit high from the jarred salsa, though :(
  • sayseal75
    Options
    I also like to add some black beans to my Salsa Chicken!
  • darcibean
    Options
    I've added a couple recipes in this recipe forum for the crockpot, and there are quite a few recipes if you go back a few pages as well.

You will love the crockpot though, I LOVE it!
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I love making salsa chicken! It's SO easy! This is what I have going now-- Tortilla soup!

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/02/crockpot-tortilla-soup-recipe.html

This blog is wonderful by the way... lots of great choices!
  • darkheart
    Options
    Thanks a lot, ladies! Keep them coming. I have this thread bookmarked, so that way I know I'll have plenty of great crock pot recipes on hand. I never even thought to add salsa and chicken together, and there seem to be so many variations. They seem great for people who are on a low(er) carb diet.
  • deathbycanon
    Options
    I'm making this one tonight. Added some potatoes and baby carrots to the pot so it's a one dish meal.

Tangy Slow Cooker Pork Roast

Nutritional Information
    Tangy Slow Cooker Pork Roast
    Servings Per Recipe: 8

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 210

Total Fat: 7.7g
    Cholesterol: 66mg
    Sodium: 483mg
    Total Carbs: 9.4g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.3g
    Protein: 24.6g

Ingredients
    1 large onion, sliced
    2 1/2 pounds boneless pork loin roast
    1 cup hot water
    1/4 cup white sugar
    3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    1 tablespoon ketchup
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 dash hot pepper sauce, or to taste
    Directions
    1.Arrange onion slices evenly over the bottom of the slow cooker, and then place the roast on top of the onion. In a bowl, mix together water, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, ketchup, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, and hot sauce; pour over roast.
    2.Cover, and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours, or on High for 3 to 4 hours.
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Lately, I've been incredibly busy, and have been trying to use the crockpot more...this site is awesome, and has just about every crockpot recipe you'll need, all nicely indexed, with comments on how to make them correctly.

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/
  • barbosa22
    barbosa22 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump
  • darkheart
    Options
    Thanks! Someone previously posted a recipe from that blog. I will definitely have to check that out!
  • escalante
    escalante Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wow the Salsa chicken sounds amazing i'm going to try it tomorrow.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Wow the Salsa chicken sounds amazing i'm going to try it tomorrow.
    My recipe turned out AMAZING. I added crispy chicken taco seasoning with the beans and corn - SO tasty. Served over a bed of spinach with a little sour cream. Mmmm... Highly recommended!