Determining MFP activity level...

Options
I am wondering if I have this set wrong. I currently have mine set at ACTIVE because I workout 6 days/week (intense boot camps/5k training that burns about 500-900 calories/day), however I am not on my feet all day. I would say 50% of my day is spent standing and 50% sitting. MFP describes ACTIVE as people who are basically on their feet all day long which I am not.

Should I consider switching it to LIGHTLY ACTIVE?

My numbers on the scale are not showing what I have been working so hard at and YES I always eat back 50-100% of my exercise calories as MFP calculates.

I currently eat 1480 calories + exercise calories = approx 2000-2200 calories

Changing my activity level would put me at 1280 + exercise calories...

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You set your activity level based on your job and then add your exercise separately as you do it. Setting as active then adding exercise would be double dipping unless your job is in construction work or the like.

MFP only does math. It gives you a number based on what you ask it to do. You shouldn't be using the 2 lb setting unless you have 75+ lbs to lose.

Figure out your BMR first and then choose a setting that keeps you above that.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    You set your activity level based on your job and then add your exercise separately as you do it. Setting as active then adding exercise would be double dipping unless your job is in construction work or the like.

MFP only does math. It gives you a number based on what you ask it to do. You shouldn't be using the 2 lb setting unless you have 75+ lbs to lose.

This. If you've set your job activity to active when you're closer to lightly active and then eat back your exercise calories that is probably your problem.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    You have two options:

1. Set your activity level to include your exercise, then don't log individual exercises. I like this option because it takes less effort and my exercise is pretty consistent.

2. Set your activity level to exclude your exercise, then log additional exercises separately. Most people prefer this option because it enables you to calculate the amount of calories burned per exercise.
  • thehappyfitmusician
    Options

This. If you've set your job activity to active when you're closer to lightly active and then eat back your exercise calories that is probably your problem.

Ok, so If I do eat at least my BMR which it says is 1671 calories, how much more calories should I eat? I have seen these TDEE calculations. Any help finding those again? Anyone have a link on all of those BMR/TDEE/% calculations?

Thanks for helping me figure this out by the way!!!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to "lumberjack." And it's still not enough. LOL
  • thehappyfitmusician
    Options
    I have mine set to "lumberjack." And it's still not enough. LOL

HA!
  • thehappyfitmusician
    Options
    Alright, I think I have it!

My BMR is 1601
    My TDEE is 2411

2411- 20% = 1929 net calories/day

Correct?
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Here's the Scooby calculator:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I feel like a lot of people keep trying to lose eating TDEE - 20% but it doesn't work because they input "active" or "lightly active" into the TDEE calculator and THEN eat back exercise calories. You're effectively eating your exercise cals twice. If you want to track exercise, you have to put "desk job/little to no exercise" in the TDEE calculator.

I eat 1400 (weekly average) and lose a consistent 2 lbs per week. According to the calculator, if I say I'm sedentary. TDEE-20% is 1484 and TDEE-25% is 1391. Seems pretty on the money. I wear a Fit Bit Zip that automatically syncs any extra calories burned to MFP (like from exercise or a very active day). I have not been eating them back, but it's not like I'm burning 500 extra cals a day- I only do cardio twice a week and then take a long walk 1 other day. No need to eat that back; I'm not running marathons.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if I have this set wrong. I currently have mine set at ACTIVE because I workout 6 days/week (intense boot camps/5k training that burns about 500-900 calories/day), however I am not on my feet all day. I would say 50% of my day is spent standing and 50% sitting. MFP describes ACTIVE as people who are basically on their feet all day long which I am not.

When you say "5k training", do you mean you regularly run 5k, or that you are in training to eventually be able to run 5k? If it's the latter, I would suggest not going above "Lightly active".
  • thehappyfitmusician
    Options
    Here's the Scooby calculator:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I feel like a lot of people keep trying to lose eating TDEE - 20% but it doesn't work because they input "active" or "lightly active" into the TDEE calculator and THEN eat back exercise calories. You're effectively eating your exercise cals twice. If you want to track exercise, you have to put "desk job/little to no exercise" in the TDEE calculator.

I eat 1400 (weekly average) and lose a consistent 2 lbs per week. According to the calculator, if I say I'm sedentary. TDEE-20% is 1484 and TDEE-25% is 1391. Seems pretty on the money. I wear a Fit Bit Zip that automatically syncs any extra calories burned to MFP (like from exercise or a very active day). I have not been eating them back, but it's not like I'm burning 500 extra cals a day- I only do cardio twice a week and then take a long walk 1 other day. No need to eat that back; I'm not running marathons.

Thanks so much, this is great and makes perfect sense!

Just to double check that I'm reading this correctly, you are NETTING 1400 with these calculations right? If so, then I should be netting between 1500-1600 calories depending on the 20-25% rule.