Motivation during menopause

Options
Hi,

Im 48 and have been going through menopause symptoms for 6 years. Been on birth control to help with symptoms, and then in June things just got worse and the birth control is not doing anything. I went off the BC tried an herbal remedy and vitamin E. I have horendous hot flashes about 15 or so a day, and night sweats complete with drenched sheets. Lucky this time the mood swings are in check!

Anyone out there figuring out how to manage your diet and exericse when you are ravenously hungry and dying of heat when you try to work out? I coulkd sure use some pointers. I just started journaling again this week after taking a break to try and deal with the increase in symptoms. I cant afford to gain weight when i need to lose the 20 I put on after surgery.

Any friendly voices of experience would be appreciated. I am getting my FSH levels drawn in the morning so my doctor can assist me.

Replies

• plipsurt
    plipsurt Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I can't offer any advice but am suffering just like you (am also 48) so will be interested to see what advice others can offer
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I am 53 and in menopause also. I hate the night hot flashes. I also wonder how little we are going to have to eat just to maintain weight!!! I exercise and this helps with sleeping and feeling better but...the mood swings and hot flashes are a pain. I have finally decided to embrace menopause and accept it as a part of life. I started using menopause as a help in dieting as I tell people when I don't want that glass of wine or dessert that I am on the "no hot flash" diet. I tell them that eating like this results in less flashes and not as many mood swings. No one questions the low fat, low cal, low sugar, no alcohol choices when told that it helps with menopause symptoms!!! I don't have to go into anything after that!!!
  • juliek1960
    Options
    Hi I am also trying to deal with menopause and weight loss. I don't have night sweats but my days are pretty miserable. I'm eating ok, just truly having a hard time with depression and lack of motivation..I could really use some support now - just thought I would send this out there..
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Well, I think I am starting menopause although I'm not sure. I feel like I've been getting hot flashes though. I am 51, and so far it hasnt negatively effected my weight loss.
  • SkagitYogini
    SkagitYogini Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I take an antidepressant (citalopram) which incidentally helps with night sweats. Also a ceiling fan all year long! I was concerned that menopause would hamper my weightloss, but that hasn't been the case at all. I don't have much of an exercise routine, but try to walk outdoors on my lunch break, and with my dog after work when weather permits. After even a 30 minute walk I am red faced and overheated. I just stip off layers and drink lots of water until I feel better.

For me the most annoying symptom is forgetfulness and trouble concentrating. I must ask myself 10 times a day: Now, what was I just doing? Not good!
  • CMedansky
    Options
    I am 53 and in menopause also. I hate the night hot flashes. I also wonder how little we are going to have to eat just to maintain weight!!! I exercise and this helps with sleeping and feeling better but...the mood swings and hot flashes are a pain. I have finally decided to embrace menopause and accept it as a part of life. I started using menopause as a help in dieting as I tell people when I don't want that glass of wine or dessert that I am on the "no hot flash" diet. I tell them that eating like this results in less flashes and not as many mood swings. No one questions the low fat, low cal, low sugar, no alcohol choices when told that it helps with menopause symptoms!!! I don't have to go into anything after that!!!

Love it! I am very small frame person, so ideal weight for me is the very bottom of healthy range. Unfortunately, family and friends are not really supportive of weight loss, because I am not "officially" over weight, so they tell me "Oh, just exercise." Of course this is also good advice, and I am trying some yoga and stretches, but I have never been one for the gym or any sports or exercise for that matter and this is very hard to start at 53.
    I am 53 and I'm a shorty 5'2" (maybe 5'3" if I stand up very straight:) with 7 children. I have been gaining steadily past year or so since onset of menopause up 18-20 lbs all in the middle of course plus my already short stocky thighs -- it is horrible, nothing fits! I am up 3 clothes sizes already and even so my jeans are cutting me in half. I have never owned a scale in my life before yesterday, actually had to go back and change my original check-in because I was guessing and overestimated by almost 10 lbs but I actually FEEL that much heavier and it is miserable.
    Sorry for rambling...thanks for sharing the "no hot flash" diet - I will definitely be borrowing the phrase.
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    There are several groups on here for those of us at this stage of life. They are full of advice and tips for finding what works for you. It would be worth searching them out.
  • legacysh
    legacysh Posts: 464
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, Im open for more friends and support if anyone wants it. I did have my hormones tested, its official and now my Dr. finally gave me another hormone to take with the birth control pills to at least help taper the hot flashes. Nothing worse than getting on the treadmill, already being sweaty and having your whole body feel like its on fire!

I will also try the no hot flash diet!
  • la8ydi
    la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Here's kind of a goofy question: how do you KNOW when you've started menopause? I'm starting to get hot flashes - and my periods are very irregular. But how do you KNOW? Or do you not really ever know?
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Major bummer this time of life. Be assured, it WILL get better! I am 52, and started having perimenopausal symptoms two years ago. Hot flashes, insomnia, mood swings (I think I should get an award for not having killed someone!!!!), night sweats... yuck! For me, I found a couple of things that have made a difference.

1. exercise. Every day, usually a couple of times a day. Things that are calming, like taking a nice slow walk, along with things that are challenging, like heavy lifting and learning how to run. You don't have to do everything every day, but do something everyday.

2. Yin yoga. Sometimes hard to find a class, but this is a very meditative type of yoga. You hold poses for 5-10 minutes, and concentrate on breathing. I take one class a week, and it really helps calm me.

3. whenever I feel a hot flash coming on, I visualize a very calming location. For me, it is sitting by the ocean, in Newport RI. Usually in November, when it is very cool out. Yes - I am specific! Calming music can help as well.

4. Big glass of water by my bedside. It makes me get up more often to go to the bathroom, but then I drink a few gulps which cools me down and makes me go back to sleep. I also just got a Chillow. First use last night - jury is still out... :smile:

5. Eat in a healthy way for your body. For me, that means eating pretty much all day long. If I get hungry, everyone becomes very unhappy. If I eat too much sugar, things will be unpleasant throughout the entire town. Wine can be good, but only if I drink 2x the water during the wine consumption. I avoid hot spices because I don't like how I feel after eating them. Same for bread/pasta/rice. You have to find your hot spots, and avoid them like the plague.

6. Finally - planning. The anxiety if I am running late or forgot something creates the perfect environment for unpleasantness. So, I write things down, leave early, and do not plan things without having leeway in my timing. If I expect task A to take 30 minutes, I plan for it to take an hour before I plan your next thing. If I think of something I that need to do, I do it immediately. If I don't want to forget to bring something to work tomorrow, I put it in my car tonight.

All this is easier said than done, but I have had success (at least, I stopped crying for no reason). That has given me the motivation to continue - I really do feel better. Hang in there!!! Sorry for the long response; it has been a long journey for me and I hope that what I have learned can help someone else.

In terms of how do you know? If you really want to know, ask your doctor. But, if you are having symptoms and your periods are irregular, then you can be pretty well assured that you have started.
  • la8ydi
    la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice/tips - and don't apologize for a long post - it was very helpful!!! :-)
  • ocragal
    ocragal Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I finally bought a high powered fan that I place directly on me while on the treadmill and elliptical, and sometimes even when I am doing yoga or mat work.

The suggestion about yin yoga is great.

Good luck to all of us!
  • gbrundagebrunker
    gbrundagebrunker Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am 55. When I decided I needed to lose weight in March, I eliminated wheat from my diet because I found abstinence so much easier than moderation. That did enable me to lose the weight I wanted to, but the really HUGE benefit has been that hot flashes completely disappeared within a couple of days. If I eat even a slice of bread now, I pay for it with hot flashes within hours. Everone is different so eliminating wheat may or may not have the same impact for somebody else, but perhaps worth a try?
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback on wheat, I might try eliminating it. I do find that eating primarily veggies, meat, nuts and fruits makes me feel the best, so I don't eat much wheat as it is - wouldn't be hard to cut it out completely to see if that helps as well.
  • RangiRose
    Options
    I am 55. When I decided I needed to lose weight in March, I eliminated wheat from my diet because I found abstinence so much easier than moderation. That did enable me to lose the weight I wanted to, but the really HUGE benefit has been that hot flashes completely disappeared within a couple of days. If I eat even a slice of bread now, I pay for it with hot flashes within hours. Everone is different so eliminating wheat may or may not have the same impact for somebody else, but perhaps worth a try?

THIS^^^ In 51 and starting hot-flushs so Quit sugar (as much as poss) and wheat and it seems to help , I can tell when I eat it and back come the power surges:ohwell:

My trouble is the heart racing Im getting with Pre-menopause.
  • pennyanne55
    Options
    Hi I am 58 and have suffered with hot flushes for several years but I have found cutting chocolate wine particularly white and caffeine ( coffee tea and and cola type drinks) all have helped to reduce the heat:). I do still enjoy these foods at times but I know the hot flush is to come!!