Pattypan, acorn and butternut squash recipes

Options
MizTerry
MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
Since I've expanded my horizons on zuccini and spaghetti squash (really, I'm a pro with spaghetti squash now), I'm interested in trying the following:

patty pan squash
acorn squash
butternut squash.

Do you have a tried and true recipe that is fairly easty to make using any of these that is tasty?
Please note, I have next to no patience in the kitchen.

Replies

• pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Patty pan squash I will slice and cook up like any other squash. I'm not a fan of acorn and butternut squashes (too sweet for me) but I think acorn squashes are really nice for stuffing. With butternut squash one of the only ways I will eat it is to steam it, puree the flesh, and stir it into a roux with smoked gouda cheese. Toss with pasta for a lighter, higher fiber mac and cheese.
  • MizTerry
    Options
    That is an interesting idea!
  • saratf
    saratf Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Pattypan squash I slice up thinly and cook in a pan with a little olive oil and onions. You don't need much oil to cook because the squash will sweat--just turn the heat down low and cover.

I love acorn and butternut squash! My favorite way to eat them is roasted (cut in half, bake in oven at 350 - 400 for about an hour until cooked through). Then I puree/mash it. You can use the puree to make gnocchi, which is delicious but time consuming. I also really like butternut/acorn squash soup. Mix the puree with some veggie broth, garlic, curry, cumin, and paprika. Delicious and quick! Sometimes I freeze the puree to use later.

ETA: Also try spaghetti squash if you see it at the market! It's delicious in place of pasta.
  • chris2267
    chris2267 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    butternut I use to make "fries" slice and coat in olive oil and grated garlic and salt and pepper.

Acorn - cut in half and stuff with spinach, Italian sausage, and some cheese
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Love squash!

Acorn - I slice in half, scoop out guts, add a pat of butter and sprinkle of brown sugar and wrap in foil, then bake at 350F for about 45 min or until soft. Pretty easy and healthy with a bit of sweet.

Butternut - I peel (this can be a pain) and chop into cubes. Mix with a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, rosemary and chopped onions and cubed potatoes if desired. Roast at 350F until soft, about 40 min, stirring/mixing once while roasting.
  • Omakitkat
    Omakitkat Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MizTerry
    Options
    Thank y'all for the ideas. I need to get out of the regular squash, zucchini and spaghetti squash cycle and try new things.
  • softwind
    softwind Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Love squash!

Acorn - I slice in half, scoop out guts, add a pat of butter and sprinkle of brown sugar and wrap in foil, then bake at 350F for about 45 min or until soft. Pretty easy and healthy with a bit of sweet.

Butternut - I peel (this can be a pain) and chop into cubes. Mix with a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, rosemary and chopped onions and cubed potatoes if desired. Roast at 350F until soft, about 40 min, stirring/mixing once while roasting.

I do my acorn the same way. A little butter and brown sugar in there, then its all melted and yummy to scoop out while eating
  • springsmomto3
    springsmomto3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Love acorn squash too! Cut in half, scoop out seeds, stuff with cooked couscous and mixed veggies, spray with Pam. Bake in oven at 350 for about an hour. Delicious! ....and very filling.