Worried my thighs are getting BIGGER (more muscle)...

Options
Hi all,

Obviously, spot reduction is not possible.. I have been working out (I did the 30 Day Shred, and I've been running or doing elliptical for 40 minutes at least 3 times a week, or subbing in a Jillian DVD like Banish Fat Boost Metabolism) - and I am worried my thighs are only getting BIGGER / more muscle, when I want the fat in that area to DECREASE. My arms and stomach have started to thin out, but not my legs. :grumble:

Are there exercises I should AVOID if I don't want to build up my legs any more? (cycling? squats? Are these good or bad for this situation?)

Any ideas or people with similar issues who found a way to solve it? I'm nervous that all my running and elliptical might just be strengthening my legs while burning fat in other places, but who knows.. :blushing:

Thanks!

-Molly

Replies

• Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Muscle takes up less space than fat, so unless you had very, very lean, non-muscular legs prior to working out, I don't see how working out is "bulking" them up. Squats, cycling, running, lunges have all made my legs leaner because there is more muscle, less fat (and therefore takes up less space). I would not give up those exercises, IMHO.
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I've always had thicker thighs and coveted the nice slender thighs of other girls, but I have always been a runner and I have big bulky muscles to prove it... of course now that I rarely run, they are just big flabby thighs! But I have been seeing other areas lose inches and my thighs are not budging! So very frustrating!
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Muscle takes up less space than fat, so unless you had very, very lean, non-muscular legs prior to working out, I don't see how working out is "bulking" them up. Squats, cycling, running, lunges have all made my legs leaner because there is more muscle, less fat (and therefore takes up less space). I would not give up those exercises, IMHO.

That is good to know at least - I wouldn't want to think I was hindering my goal. Maybe I just haven't been at it long enough for it to take effect, and since I see other areas of my body shrinking, maybe it just makes my legs look larger :-P I will not give up the exercises I've been doing, and maybe take some measurements now so that I can have a better idea later on if they are actually getting bigger, or if it is just an illusion haha. Thanks Nina!
  • jillerymaker
    Options
    I've had the same problem!! I have naturally thick (ELEPHANT) legs. I gain muscle super easy, but the fat does not want to come off!! So when I start working out, I get bigger because the muscles are growing under the fat that is not shrinking!! I really think it comes down to diet and cardio then. Of course, I am speaking in theory, since I am not very far into my progress!!
  • chipvb
    chipvb Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Muscle always looks better than fat, and even lack of muscle. I’d say keep building the muscle and tone.
    I think most guys would agree, muscular legs are very sexy.
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I doubt very much that the muscle in your thighs is adding that much to the size but even a little bulk is probably discouraging you. Having strong legs is extremely important for quality in life in your later years so I am hesitant to suggest that you cut back on training them. However, if it still concerns you may want to try higher reps with a lower weight when doing squats.

How much weight do you use when doing squats?
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I am more of a "pear" shape- carry most of my weight in my hips and thighs. My thighs have ALWAYS been the thing I have hated- always so fatty! I started spinning 3-4 months ago and in addition to everything else, my legs are SO much leaner! I have a long way to go on weight loss, but I have lost 3.5 inches off EACH thigh in just a few months! I actually have quads now! Don't give up the exercises. Plus, I agree with the other posters, muscular legs are so much more sexy than stick legs.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Ok, I started working out with a personal trainer back in January. He's in a little private gym with no bulls#%*. No mirrors. Just free weights, a couple machines and him and all the hell he brings (don't get me wrong, it's good hell) but I recently went to a kickoxing class in a room full of mirrors and could not believe how big my thighs had gotten! I freaked out and called Bruce and asked what I could do! He said to cut out sugar, lots of cardio and when we do weight training it's really high rep and not a lot of weight. Good luck to you. Hope this helps
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your feedback and input! I will try the spinning, I love spinning :) and brityn thanks for the advice on the cutting sugar, lots of cardio and high rep/low weight weight training. Good to know all - thanks!
  • lcouterm
    lcouterm Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the other comments on your blogish thing here, so if someone already said this "sorry" OK now if your getting to big in parts due to muscle, if your using weights on those parts when excersizing use less weight and more reps if you use heavy weights your building the muscle (hence getting bigger) so the less weight will chisel the muscle and the more reps adds a cardio burning the excess fat. Don't know if this makes any sense to you (but it does in my head)