Devasted

Options

Replies

• srogers89
    srogers89 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I know exactly the feeling! It can be a bit sucky :(

Remember this: You have lost 12kgs! 12 WHOLE KILOGRAMS! That is freaking awesome....there are bound to be ups and downs, you may be holding a little extra water or maybe your sodium levels were a little higher than you anticipated and this caused some issues. Whatever caused this, don't let it get you down. Keep going with what you are doing and make sure you stay proud of what you have accomplished so far :)
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Do you measure your food on a food scale? If not go out & buy one. It's so easy to think you're only having a tablespoon of peanut butter when you could be having two or four.

THIS is exactly what I was going to say. Everything you eat- weigh in ounces or grams. I did not lose weight consistently until I did this. It seems like a hassle at first but now I do it without a second thought.

If you are already weighing 100% of what you eat- don't stress. 1 kg can easily be water retention. I weigh myself daily so I can monitor fluctuations and so I DON"T get devastated by gains- I just look at them as normal, and know I'll probably be lower tomorrow!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I like to think that my body has a co-dependency relationship with fat. When I lose weight, I occasionally go through phases where the fat comes back, and I imagine that it's like an annoying ex-lover who doesn't understand that my body doesn't want to put up with its s*** anymore. But every now and again, my body goes, "Oh, okay, maybe one more try... no, f*** it" and then like four pounds come off at once.

So maybe your body is doing the same thing. :)

I love this!
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I like to think that my body has a co-dependency relationship with fat. When I lose weight, I occasionally go through phases where the fat comes back, and I imagine that it's like an annoying ex-lover who doesn't understand that my body doesn't want to put up with its s*** anymore. But every now and again, my body goes, "Oh, okay, maybe one more try... no, f*** it" and then like four pounds come off at once.

I am nominating this post for the best explanation ever of up-and-down weigh-ins.
    *bows*

... and now I'm trying to think of how to rewrite the song "I Will Survive" from the point of view of a dieter. I am too weird for words at times...

EDIT: And 10 minutes later, I come up with this:

At first, I was afraid, I was petrified,
    Kept thinking, I could never eat unless the food was fried
    And how I spent so many nights, eating cookies by the pound,
    Until I found, that my body shape was round

So to that fat, all over me
    I know it's both our faults you made my toes impossible to see
    I should have skipped that chocolate cake
    I should have taken yoga class
    But now I've simply had enough of you just riding on my a**

Go on now, go, get off of me
    Just melt away now, 'coz I am losing weight, you see
    You were the one who shot my blood pressure sky high
    Set my heart racing until I thought that I would die

Oh no not that, to hell with fat,
    Oh, I'll miss my late night bingeing fits, but I can live with that
    I've got a life to live, you see, I've got some muscle still in me
    So, goodbye fat, health's where it's at, hey hey!

It toook all the will I had not to eat it all
    I had to learn Domino's understands if I don't call
    I may spend way too many nights just craving everything I see
    I want to feed, but I'll eat only what I need

So when you see me looking great
    It's coz I'm strong enough to not completely clear my plate
    And when I feel like giving up and thinking I just can't survive
    I'll think of just how great I'll feel when I'm 175

Simply Amazing !!
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I gained two pounds between yesterday and today . I don't worry about that yet because I ate some salty soup yesterday so I think it's water weight . If I had over eaten or eaten too many carbs or sweets I'd be super upset but I didn't so I just let it be ...Now in two days from now if it's still there I will be beside myself lol.
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It happens don't worry. Just keep going. Know what I did today. Drank 1/2 of a 2liter of coke. Thought I had bought diet. Allergies are bad so I guess I didn't notice. Went to double check and realized my mistake. At least your not dumb. Good luck.
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Learning to deal with the scale might be the hardest part of weight loss. The ups and downs that don't match our efforts can be very frustrating and depressing. But if you stay focused and on plan, it will work out. Stay strong!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you're upset, but not every week can be perfect. I know it sucks and can be extremely frustrating. Try to cheer up. Hopefully next week will be better. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    It's okay, there could be any number of reasons. Remember, we don't always weigh the same thing every single day of our lives. Look how far you've come too!

If you are really worried about it, I would look at all your logging to make sure you have not been underestimating food and exercise calories. It's so easy to do sometimes.

However, if you are not too worried about it now, I'd just keep doing what your doing a re-*kitten* next time you weigh.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Repeat after me, weight loss is not linear, weight loss is not linear, weight loss is not linear
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Repeat after me, weight loss is not linear, weight loss is not linear, weight loss is not linear

:heart: :heart: :heart:

I was just going to post the SAME thing!!!

Now, say it with US: Weight loss is not linear!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    So, are you SURE you didn't exceed your calorie deficit range?

This. Most people who are having trouble losing are actually consuming more than they think.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I just went and got my bi weekly weigh in and I put on a kilo even thru I ate my calorie range so upset...I have been trying so hard to lose weight and this is just a depressing blow to the stomach.

This is why you should weigh every day instead of once every two weeks. If you weighed every day, you'd just have to wait a day to weigh again.

Now you have to be "devastated" for two weeks.

uh no. Your body weight can fluctuate from 2-4 pounds daily from water weight. Weighing every day is a bad idea when you're easily upset by what the scale says.

Once a week. or twice at the most.
  • takemybodyback
    Options
    I second that. LOL...awesome explanation!
  • NickieCR1
    Options
    Thanks everyone I think I was just eating to much sugary stuff well now its back to basics I am starting again from the beginning when I lost the weight so I am hoping this is just a minor slip up...I just got to confident in eating treats that i think it put the kilo back on...no more treats lol...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I think I was just eating to much sugary stuff well now its back to basics I am starting again from the beginning when I lost the weight so I am hoping this is just a minor slip up...I just got to confident in eating treats that i think it put the kilo back on...no more treats lol...

There are a lot of problems with this comment. First, a single weigh-in means absolutely nothing about your progress or lack of progress. You simply don't know if this is a minor unrelated bump in water weight or if you actually gained some body mass. Since you don't have any additional information about weight from the past two weeks, you simply don't know what's going on.

Since you don't know the cause of the scale number, it's foolish to start changing things or blaming this or that. Your diary is closed so we can't see what you're eating. Have you eaten too many calories in the past two weeks? It's not the fault of "sugary stuff" but if you've eaten too many calories then you should cut back down on calories.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

I am nominating this post for the best explanation ever of up-and-down weigh-ins.
    *bows*

... and now I'm trying to think of how to rewrite the song "I Will Survive" from the point of view of a dieter. I am too weird for words at times...

EDIT: And 10 minutes later, I come up with this:

At first, I was afraid, I was petrified,
    Kept thinking, I could never eat unless the food was fried
    And how I spent so many nights, eating cookies by the pound,
    Until I found, that my body shape was round

So to that fat, all over me
    I know it's both our faults you made my toes impossible to see
    I should have skipped that chocolate cake
    I should have taken yoga class
    But now I've simply had enough of you just riding on my a**

It toook all the will I had not to eat it all
    I had to learn Domino's understands if I don't call
    I may spend way too many nights just craving everything I see
    I want to feed, but I'll eat only what I need

So when you see me looking great
    It's coz I'm strong enough to not completely clear my plate
    And when I feel like giving up and thinking I just can't survive
    I'll think of just how great I'll feel when I'm 175

OMFG that is awesome! I was bopping along singing it at my desk. My co-worker now thinks I am crazy (well, to be honest, she already did...). You rock!!!
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    It may seem obsessive but maybe weight yourself everyday for a month or so. I started doing this and keeping track on a spreadsheet and it is interesting to see the ups and downs. I even mark notes on the days I eat out and my sodium was higher than usual. It has been very interesting to see if there are any trends and helps keep you from getting down when you can look back and notice that you have been there before and everything was fine a few days later.
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options

So maybe your body is doing the same thing. :)

Hahahahahaha. This is amazing.
  • narmowen
    narmowen Posts: 18 Member
    Options

:heart: :heart: :heart:

I was just going to post the SAME thing!!!

Now, say it with US: Weight loss is not linear!

This. Exactly. I weigh myself once a day, every morning around the same time. For the last 6 weeks, I've been writing it down on a calendar. There were a couple of weeks where my weight went up instead of down, and yet I was following my diet, exercising etc.

So I input the numbers in a spreadsheet. And you know what I saw when I graphed it? Ups and downs. Yeah, my weight at that time may have gone up, but as a whole, it was going down. My weight loss as a whole loos a lot like the waves of an ocean. But the end result is always the same. As time goes on, the current waves are lower than the ones I started with.