Question for runners, life after c25k

Options
Good morning,

I've completed C25k and I've done a lot of reading as to what my next step may be.

I'm stuck between OHR and B210k.

There are pros and cons to both.

I plan to move on to a half marathon after my 10k, so I liked the idea of the OHR stretching into one long run a week with a shorter and medium run.. I've read that B210k gets you doing intervals again and while some struggle with that, it's a good thing.

I also looked at the Hal Higdon website and his novice 1 half marathon program. I didn't download the app (9.99!) but it looks like there may be increments built in for training for 5k and 10k before hitting the half marathon. I can't tell for sure from the pictures posted on iTunes.

What have you done after your 5k and would you do anything different?

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I looked at 10K training plans and loosely followed one. I didn't like the B210K plan because of the walking intervals. Then, after completing my first 10K, I had planned to immediately jump into a half marathon plan but an injury had me sidelined for two months. Now I'm working my way back up on the mileage and will be ready for a half marathon on Thanksgiving.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I kept adding to my base, and even added in another running day to get up to 4 days a week. I didn't go for a 10K, but instead just added to my weekly mileage. I ended up at 15 miles a week before my half marathon training kicked in.

You just have to figure your what your next goal is. Whether it be adding to your base or working up to the next level race.
  • pandsmomCheryl
    pandsmomCheryl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I kept adding to my base, and even added in another running day to get up to 4 days a week. I didn't go for a 10K, but instead just added to my weekly mileage. I ended up at 15 miles a week before my half marathon training kicked in.

You just have to figure your what your next goal is. Whether it be adding to your base or working up to the next level race.

I agree with this. I don't think you need a running app, I think you need to build your base up gently, avoiding injury along the way as best you can (says the girl with blisters, groin pulls, etc). First about 15m per week, then slowly graduate to about 20. In the meantime, run a 10K if you feel like it. Once you hit 15/20 miles per week you can pick any 10-12 week half marathon training plan and just follow it on paper. I'm running my first HM one week from Sunday. I also started running my long runs WITH a group of girls, which has been fabulous. I would recommend starting a group with running friends, or seeing if there's a local running group you can join. It just adds a whole new level of fun...Oh and just like when you started C25K - don't worry about the speed as you're building your base...it's about building endurance...just my two cents & good luck!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I would recommend starting a group with running friends, or seeing if there's a local running group you can join. It just adds a whole new level of fun...

I also recommend this. Joining group runs and getting to know other runners in the area has made the experience so much more enjoyable. Runners are great people!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    For Hal Higdon plans, you can get them off the website for free. They aren't intervals just a set number of miles so you can just go out and run them. He does have raced built in, but you aren't really training for them. The races are in cutback weeks so it's less mileage then you would normally run that week. It's to gage your progress and get used to racing.

After I got up to 5k June of 2012, I started a HM plan. Ran my first half October 2012, my 2nd May 2013 and my third is this Sunday. I'm currently using Hal's intermediate program, though I added more miles to his long runs, I think his plans are a little soft, only going to 12 in the intermediate program, but they are very good for beginners.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else, I went straight on to adding more distance. I ended up sick of running and kept getting niggling injuries.

What I wish I'd done, and what I'd advise other new 5K runners to do, is to take a few months to consolidate your 5K. Do a few races at that distance and try to improve your PB. Get a weekly routine that suits you; say sprints or hills one day, intervals, fartlek or tempo another day, and a long, slow run at the weekend.

Once you're comfortable in your own skin as a runner, you might find you don't need a programme. Up your total running distance every week by no more than 10% and drop back every fourth week before building again.

Once you're up to 10K, repeat the same consolidation process. Stop at the distance you love while you're still having fun - not everyone enjoys the process of pushing on to a half or full marathon.

You may just find your new romance with running becomes a lifelong loving relationship :flowerforyou:
  • rduhlir
    Options
    I would recommend starting a group with running friends, or seeing if there's a local running group you can join. It just adds a whole new level of fun...

I also recommend this. Joining group runs and getting to know other runners in the area has made the experience so much more enjoyable. Runners are great people!
    I go to one every Wednesday night at the Breakaway store. I generally run by myself lol, I am a loner that way. But I like the atmosphere of the store before and after the runs. Not to mention the best smoothy truck in town stops there. Shout out to Lany and Billy! Thanks for my pumpkin pie smoothy!
  • rduhlir
    Options
    For Hal Higdon plans, you can get them off the website for free. They aren't intervals just a set number of miles so you can just go out and run them. He does have raced built in, but you aren't really training for them. The races are in cutback weeks so it's less mileage then you would normally run that week. It's to gage your progress and get used to racing.

After I got up to 5k June of 2012, I started a HM plan. Ran my first half October 2012, my 2nd May 2013 and my third is this Sunday. I'm currently using Hal's intermediate program, though I added more miles to his long runs, I think his plans are a little soft, only going to 12 in the intermediate program, but they are very good for beginners.
    I am using his novice 2 plan and it is working great for me. Stops short at 10 miles for the long run, but I feel ready for this Sunday!
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm using the Hal Higdon Novice 10k plan, logging my miles using the Nike+ app. I already paid for Run Double plans, but I decided I didn't care for the walking intervals. For me it was easier to do the straight runs. My first 10k won't be until January, it was the first one I found that's after my 10k training is done mid November. I'll spend the winter working on adding in a 4th running day and building my weekly mileage. After that I'll probably look for a half marathon training plan.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    What have you done after your 5k and would you do anything different?

I did "Learn to 10k", then moved to a triathlon-specific training plan the moment I hit the 10k mark. That's a six day a week commitment...
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Berry has some great advice about sticking with the 5K distance for awhile but then she always does have great advice.

I went from starting C25K to abandoning it for running intervals and straight into half marathon training. My first two official races were actually 10Ks. I've run nearly a dozen half marathons using intervals ranging from 3:1 to 5:1.

I honestly don't think I would have done anything differently because this works for me. We're all different and we have different goals. For me, it was about running half marathon races with my sister who was already a marathon runner and she ran intervals and recommended them. Frankly, I don't think that if I'd had to stick to straight running that I would have kept up with it this long. I'm also in my mid-40s and intervals are kinder on my joints. I haven't had a running injury in 3 years so I'm doing something right.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

Something I liked about the One Hour Runner was that you run 30 minutes 3 times a week for the first three weeks, which is where I'm at now. My first all running 5k is on October 22 and there is a 5 mile turkey trot on Thanksgiving that seemed timed well with where I hope to be by then, or at least close.

I guess I feel like I need a program because there is so much information out there that it's almost paralyzing.

There is a running group about 15 miles away, I'll look into that.

I enjoy running for the first time in my life and I want to continue, I'm afraid to do the wrong thing and either get overwhelmed and stop or hate it and stop.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    i started with a couch to 10k plan, afterwards i just put my stats into the smartcoach at runnersworld, told it when i want to be able to run 21k, how ambitious i was and it spit out a training plan. i found it a nice tool to keep referring to, else i would have done way too much too soon, instead of just too much :bigsmile:
    if you like apps and training plans, runkeeper offers a few free ones you can join, or you can program your own sessions.
    meh, i am just winging it right now, though i am joining a 30k run clinic at the end of october, going through march, ending in a 30k race. how organized is that? :tongue: