Low Carb Snack Ideas...

Options
I'm looking for some new low carb snack ideas. I'm trying to completely cut out all carbs, however, I would like some healthier alternatives besides just veggies. Anyone have any suggestions? A friend told me about microwaving some turkey pepperoni for a minute and a half. It makes them crispy. She calls them pepperoni chips. You eat them with hummus. Tasty! I love them, however, they have a lot of salt and I don't want to overload on sodium either.

Replies

• Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    If you can tolerate dairy string cheese is one of my go-tos. Also beef jerky, but it's pretty high in sodium. Sometimes I'll just chop up cooked chicken and nibble on that.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Most people have no reason to worry about sodium. Doubly so if you are going low carb (at least in the beginning, as your body tends to flush water and some additional sodium/potassium can help). Also, if you're going low carb, I would up the fat -- instead of turkey pepperoni, get the real stuff. It's better and will fit just fine.

I like pepperoni in the microwave. I also like it unmicrowaved, with cream cheese. Basically, any smaller portion of a normal low carb food can be a snack. Pot roast. Chicken. Whatever.
  • RubyRunner14
    RubyRunner14 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Recommended sodium levels are double the daily value when low carb/Keto. Don't worry about salt.

Jerky, veggies with hummus, mayo, 90%+ chocolate, nuts (almonds and pecans are best). To be honest, I've never heard of anyone needing a snack doing low carb (to where they are near the Keto range) so I'm at a loss.

I make a protein powder mix that tastes like brownie batter.... 2 scoops chocolate powder, some almond milk, cocoa powder and nuts/chips if you like. Pit in fridge for 2+ hours and you're all set.
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    deviled eggs, cheese, 1 TBsp almond butter, fat bombs, nut flour muffins (almond meal or coconut flour), almonds (in moderation), lettuce wraps (protein like cooked chicken, ham, etc with a little cheese), dill pickles...

just a few off the top of my head!
  • rmfails417
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions. These are great! Making my grocery list now. I will definitely get the real pepperoni as well. I think it taste better. :smile: