Subway help

Options
Hey I know all of you guys might jump on me for wanting to order a sandwich NOT on the "healthy" ones list. But I really, really, really want a tuna sub! (I know it has loads of mayo, which is unfortunate, because I definitely wouldn't miss it if it only had a little...wish I could jump back there and mix the tuna myself!) Anyway, the nutritional information on the website is confusing me a little. It says for a 6" tuna sub it has a little over 500 cals. But on what bread? With what veggies? It doesn't say. Then it has all the bread and condiments info on other pages, which seems to imply that when they say a 6" tuna sub is over 500 cals that's JUST the tuna, which cannot be possible!!! Basically what I want to do is have a 6" tuna sub on 9-grain wheat bread, no cheese, no added mayo on the bread, load up on as many veggies as I can and add some vinegar (no oil) and salt & pepper and oregano. And I don't know how to calculate all this, since I don't understand how much the tuna itself (isolate) is.

Replies

• emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    I would be more concerned with the HUGE amount of sodium in Subway sandwiches! I used to eat at Subway about once a week, but the sodium is outrageous. I have been trying to push them to start offering low sodium sandwich options.
  • msemejuru
    msemejuru Posts: 229
    Options
    If you really have a craving budget the sub into your day and do a little extra cardio. If you want to make a healthy tuna salad instead I have included a recipe below.

Ingredient List

- 2 cans chunk light tuna
    - 2 tablespoons relish
    - 1/2 tablespoon light mayo
    - 1/2 tablespoon dijon mustard
    - 1/2 cup plain lowfat yogurt

104 Calories
  • buffalogal1979
    buffalogal1979 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Check out this tool! I came across it on another MFP thread. You can tell the calculator what bread, what you put on your sub, etc. and it will give you a calorie count.

http://www.eddieoneverything.com/nutrition_info/calculators/Subway_calorie-calculator

HTH!
    J
  • JennSever
    Options
    ok, i just tried to read up on it and this is what i got for the 6" tuna to make it the 530 calories

.white bread with cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickles, honey mustard and extra mayo

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/subway/tuna-sub-6-inch-classic-sandwich/#ixzz12NIonOu8

so my bet is if you do the w/w, all veggies and the few extras you stated, it would only be in the 350-380 range.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    The chart I am looking at has a dark green header across each section that explains what is included. For the section containing the Tuna sandwich, it includes 9 grain wheat bread, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, green peppers, cucumbers and cheese. So, subtract the cheese and add in the other goodies you want.

I used to get their tuna all the time, then discovered that the Orchard Chicken Salad sandwich has only 370 calories for 6", so switched to that. Unless you are set on tuna and only tuna, you might read through the nutritional information and see if there is something else you are interested in trying that has fewer calories.
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    The chart I am looking at has a dark green header across each section that explains what is included. For the section containing the Tuna sandwich, it includes 9 grain wheat bread, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, green peppers, cucumbers and cheese. So, subtract the cheese and add in the other goodies you want.

I used to get their tuna all the time, then discovered that the Orchard Chicken Salad sandwich has only 370 calories for 6", so switched to that. Unless you are set on tuna and only tuna, you might read through the nutritional information and see if there is something else you are interested in trying that has fewer calories.

Where did you read that? because on the website, I don't see anything that says that at all, except it DOES say that all of the subs that are 6 grams of fat or under include the ingredients you mentioned...but of course the tuna sub is not one of those.
  • agdeierl
    Options
    ok, i just tried to read up on it and this is what i got for the 6" tuna to make it the 530 calories

.white bread with cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickles, honey mustard and extra mayo

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/subway/tuna-sub-6-inch-classic-sandwich/#ixzz12NIonOu8

so my bet is if you do the w/w, all veggies and the few extras you stated, it would only be in the 350-380 range.

You're right, based on the page you gave me and the calculations, my sandwich would only be 350 cals. But that sounds way too good to be true! :sad:
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options

Where did you read that? because on the website, I don't see anything that says that at all, except it DOES say that all of the subs that are 6 grams of fat or under include the ingredients you mentioned...but of course the tuna sub is not one of those.

I saw it here:
    http://www.subway.com/applications/NutritionInfo/Files/NutritionValues.pdf
    Maybe the downloaded form is different from the site?
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I am on the Canadian website and with whole wheat bread a 6 inch sub is 532 calories. That includes cheese though so if you take the cheese off, that saves you 40 calories. That also includes lots of veggies. You are looking at about 500 calories for what you want with lots of sodium. I totally understand though because I get subway all the time. I get the veggie sub though which I think is about 230 calories plus cheese and sauce - so about 320 when all is said and done.
  • agdeierl
    Options

I saw it here:
    http://www.subway.com/applications/NutritionInfo/Files/NutritionValues.pdf
    Maybe the downloaded form is different from the site?

They must be, because they don't match up! Thanks you SO much for clarifying! This was very helpful!