Exercises for people w/ back problems

Options
Hello,
I am looking for some exercise rountines that people with back issues can do. In June/July I was barely able to work out at all due to 2 pinches nerves in my spine. I do quite a bit of walking (I still do 5k walk/runs) but I am not able to do some of the exercises I only did (30 day Shred, Zumba) so I am looking to find something to do in place of this. The only thing my doctor has advised me is "if it hurts don't do it" (the case with the above exercises I am having difficulty with). Any help would be much appreciated.

Replies

• serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Anyone??? *BUMP*
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Are you able to swim? Depending on where the pain is located, swimming might be a good exercise. Or perhaps biking?
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics is a start
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I think you should check with your Doctor first to see what is a 'safe' activity for you.

I have back problems and I find walking helps a lot - but people (and backs) are different..........

I also like riding my recumbent seat bike - which is easy on my back.

But I really think you should check with your Doctor first.
  • SundayGirl1989
    Options
    I asked about this a few months ago, i put my back out a few times a year without really doing anything in particular - one time it went just from running up the stairs!

I was told yoga and swimming were the best things but i would avoid yoga without speaking to a dr first and maybe go to a proper class so someone can keep an eye on you - don't do what i did and try some stuff off youtube or you'll risk doing more damage.

Good luck and let me know if you find anything suitable that gives a good burn :)
  • Catman50
    Catman50 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi Serenity216,

Ive had a back problem and was living off pain killers. A couple of months ago something switched on inside me and I wanted to try and do something about it. Doctors have been useless. Take this bag of all these painkillers and go away.

Well I found this web page and got an exercise mat.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson92.htm

I Started of doing as much of this as I could handle daily. Changed my diet and as things improved I started to add press-ups.
    Initially I couldn't do 1 because I couldn't stretch out in the plank position because my back couldn't handle it. So I started with these kneeing press ups & just using my top 1/2 body.

I kept at it and things improved. So I joined a Gym to start using some weights and im at the end of my 2nd week.

I feel Sooo much better,Ive stop taking pain killers and mentally as well as physically I feel better.

Best of luck and I hope you can find something that works for you.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Lower back or upper? I've taken years -- literally -- to figure out what all I can do with my upper back/neck problem. But I can use neck braces and things to help with some of the problems involving neck pain while exercising.

My solutions would not work for a bad lower back, because I basically use it twice as hard to help compensate! A lot of the leg stuff is hard for lower back problems as well :( But if you tell exactly where you have the injury/issue, we can better figure out things that don't use that part of your back too much, I hope :)

That's the key, btw. Work what you can in any (safe) position you need to to take the stress off the injury. You might have to get creative, lol. Pool work or mat work are usually the easiest ways to take the stress off, imho. And isolation weight lifting for all the other body parts that don't cause pain.
  • kjannan
    kjannan Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I've found pilates works wonders for my lower back, I feel more flexible straight after a workout. I've got a winsor pilates back workout dvd that I do whenever I feel tight in my lower back & it frees me up enough to do other workouts. I have a bulging disc in my lower back & at times it feels so tight & I have terrible sciatica in my left side. Pilates has helped me manage it.

Google some exercises, there are plenty out there & I've seen a lot on pinterest.
  • tilos1
    tilos1 Posts: 6
    Options
    Check with your physical therapist first before you start swimming. When my lower back was injured, I had to be really careful with front crawl, making sure to hold my abs in to protect my back. Otherwise, my back would ache after swimming. I found backstroke to be doable. My physical therapist also let me use elliptical trainers.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    As someone else mentioned, pilates is good for your back since it strengthens your core muscles. Yoga is good too, but be careful with some poses - I have thrown my back out by doing yoga... Swimming is a good activity for now (even walking, biking can be too, but it can also be hard on your lower back), but I would ultimately suggest talking with a health care professional who can assess your spine and back issues.

I used to have lower back problems - it would go "out" for no apparent reason. Sometimes I would feel a little twinge before going to bed and I knew that the next morning I would not be able to walk. I saw a chiropractor and although he definitely helped me, I would say what helped me most was when I began lifting weights. I wouldn't have been able to get to that phase without my chiropractor's help, but it wasn't until I started building up muscle that my spine was really able to stabilize. I still get back pain, but I'm able to listen to it better (if that makes sense) and it doesn't put me out of commission like it used to.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    If you're not in extreme pain, some cat and dog Yoga stretches may help with flexibility and loosen some tightness, but listen to your body and take it very slowly and don't do anything that feels painful or affects any sensitive areas. Stretching in general can often help if the problem is your muscles being tight from stress, inactivity, and poor posture and not injury related.

A good chiropractor or physical therapist can give you specific exercises to strengthen muscles to help your posture and to support your back while doing no harm. It's the stomach exercises that work on your core that really do the most good in supporting your lower and mid back. Once your core muscles are in better shape, they may also give you some specific back exercises too. They will also stress posture and correct ways to move and lift things to work your legs and core and reduce putting all the stress on your back.

I definitely recommend a chiropractor as the first step for anyone with back problems. Any good one will do a complete check up first with x-rays before they even think about doing any serious manipulation, and if they do find anything serious, they will recommend you to an appropriate medical doctor. Most back issues are due to tight muscles, pinched nerves, or misalignment. I was hurting so much a few years back that I swore I broke my back and it hurt like hell to do anything other than lie or sit and those weren't exactly comfortable either. After a week of daily chiropractor session, I was almost as good as new and after a few months of weekly or every other week sessions, I was totally back in form. I still do maintenance visits occasionally to get my neck cracked and for minor back and hip adjustments and that's worked out great for me for quite a while.
  • JasonCoke
    Options
    Hi serenity216,

Often its difficult to get around with exercise when you are suffering from back pain. Try low impact activities such as walking, yoga,swimming ,cycling. Try going for a walk every day for at least 30 - 45 mins. Don't do exercises that will put pressure on your spine. Also make sure you warm up before you begin any kind of exercise so that it doesn't affect your back further. I'd also suggest you to visit a physiotherapist to help you out with your back ache, Have you tried using back pain belts? While working out a back pain belt will support your back and will protect your back when you'd do rigorous work out. I have tried using Dr. Belts Back Fix. It does help me. Let me know your thoughts.

Regards,

Jason
  • sadiecara
    sadiecara Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I crushed my L1 vertebrae just over a year ago and had instrumental fusion surgery for 5 vertebrae. This year has been tough, I basically had to learn to walk again, and am now heavier than I have ever been. My surgeon told me the same- just listen to your body. Swimming was the best exercise ever- I hated swimming before, but love it now. I also walk regularly. I keep trying to run ( I used to run regularly before) but my body doesn't like it. I have tried Zumba a few times and just take it really easy. My best exercise though has to be the gym!! I go on the elliptical and then I lift - all on machine weights as there is so much more support, but I think it is doing this that has enabled me to get to the place I am now and helped me become stronger and able to do more than I ever thought I would be able to do after my accident. ( I was told in the beginning I may not walk again!!) So my advice is to do anything and everything you feel able to do, but try the gym.. Good luck xx
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Like others, I strongly/ highly recommend water aerobics, swimming, waterjogging (this one is in deep water but you wear a flotation belt) and for fun waterzumba (aka aquazumba)

You would be amazed at the calorie burn - especially from water jogging (I used to burn something like 750 calories in 45 minutes doing this, now that I am used to it my calorie burn is halved, but hey that just shows how much stronger I am )

in addition to helping you build muscles with little (no) impact on your joints- being in water takes off the stress you put on your back simply from your own weight and I swear if I have a bad back day but I go into the pull the next day I have a good back day whereas if I have a bad back day and I skip the pool the next day I have a worse back day
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    also if you cycle try the recumbent bike at the gym.
    As for bicycling outdoors, I cannot (yet?) tolerate that (I feel practically crippled afterwards from all of the bumps of the road) but the recumbant bike is great