Elliptical, Is it worth it?

Options
I keep hearing mixed messages about how it's good for you, and how it's bad. I just got one and love it, but I keep hearing that it won't work on weight loss and fat burning, but it burns calories? I'm so confused, out of experience, does it really work or am I wasting my time?

(I invested in one because I have anxiety and it's hard to work out in public)

Any advice or tips on how to make it more effective?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• beanerific518
    Options
    Elliptical is cardio. I lost a good amount of weight at the beginning using my elliptical at home and some bodyweight strength training. The elliptical definitely helped out at the beginning but as I progressed I had to progress my workouts. I got the body I have now thanks to heavy lifting and various HIIT cardio. I only use an elliptical sometimes for a warmup before strength training. Good luck!!
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I think what is confusing is that what people are saying is that they aren't good for strength training. They're great for endurance and for cardio, but you won't build muscle doing it. Or even retain muscle. But if you got it purely for the cardio benefits of burning cals and conditioning (endurance), then you're good to go. Throw in some strength training (body weight and then actual weights) and you're getting it all. I like the elliptical, but my feet always went numb on them so I gave it up. But I always enjoyed them! Oh, just don't rely on their burn counters to be 100%, either.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I think what is confusing is that what people are saying is that they aren't good for strength training. They're great for endurance and for cardio, but you won't build muscle doing it. Or even retain muscle. But if you got it purely for the cardio benefits of burning cals and conditioning (endurance), then you're good to go. Throw in some strength training (body weight and then actual weights) and you're getting it all. I like the elliptical, but my feet always went numb on them so I gave it up. But I always enjoyed them! Oh, just don't rely on their burn counters to be 100%, either.

Agreed, I think that it is good piece of exercise equipment to start, but as you get more fit, it is not going to be the piece of equipment to get you the burn that you will be wanting. It also lies, lies, lies about how many calories you will be burning. It is hard to increase your heart rate on the ellyptical when you become more fit. As a starter piece of equipment it works well.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing mixed messages about how it's good for you, and how it's bad. I just got one and love it, but I keep hearing that it won't work on weight loss and fat burning, but it burns calories? I'm so confused, out of experience, does it really work or am I wasting my time?

(I invested in one because I have anxiety and it's hard to work out in public)

Any advice or tips on how to make it more effective?

Thanks! :)

I use the elyptical for 60 minutes every other day and I love it, great on the knees and I have already lost 13 pounds in 3 weeks w/ that and a healthy diet. Look at it this way, if it didnt work why would the gym have so many of them. Not everything works out for everyone but remember the more mph you get in and the harder you push yourself on each level, the more results youll see. I just reached level ten, my next goal is level fifteen
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest problem with elliptical is that it doesn't translate directly to any useful activity. With a treadmill, as a counter example, at least it's something that more or less resembles running. Ditto with a stationary bike - it's a lot like cycling. So the endurance improvements from elliptical don't translate very well to physical activities because the physiological changes aren't the same.

But you can definitely burn calories with it, if you work it hard enough. If that's your primary goal, then there's no particular reason you should be unhappy with it.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Any activity that burns calories helps with weight loss. People who say that the elliptical/any cardio at all is pointless and doesn't do anything are being ridiculous. The elliptical was *all* I did for the first 20-25 pounds of my weight loss. I didn't even change my diet at all at first, just added some exercise. As I progressed from there, I did make some changes to my diet and branch out into other kinds of exercise including strength training, and those things also help, of course, but people who say that doing just cardio does nothing are just plain wrong.
  • LannyM74
    LannyM74 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight loss, the elliptical works for me. I have a heart rate monitor and according to it I am getting my heart rate up to 155-165 which is the same as I achieve on the treadmill. For me, that translates into about 100 calories burned for every ten minutes of hard work. I like the treadmill too but unfortunately my knees do not.
  • emma1982
    emma1982 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My husband and I just got an elliptical for home. I do get that in order to build muscle you need to do weights, but my philosophy is: exercise is exercise.
    First, ellipticals are ok for your knees (ie, they won't hurt them generally).
    Yes, it might not be optimal, yes, the calorie counter on that thing may be off, but the truth is, if you make this part of your routine, and even more, if you use it every day for more than 30 minutes, together with a balanced diet, you are bound to keep the pounds off and look good.
    My problem is, I cannot lose weight because I am always over my calorie count, by 200-300 calories. So, an hour on this thing will even things out, and help me maintain a healthier lifestyle. My husband also made a great point yesterday about it: once the crappy, super cold winter hits us, we will love having some exercise to keep us happy.
    Overall, it is a win-win as far as I am concerned...!:smile::smile:
  • springsmomto3
    springsmomto3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Love my elliptical. I think that any exercise you do that gets you moving.....is worth it. I do two days a week for about 45 minutes. The other three days I do Les Mills body pump (not quite ready for heavy lifting!). I agree with the above posters that it's also much easier on the knees.
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Of course the elliptical is good piece of kit! It's currently very in vogue to say that all you need to do is lift weights and do no cardio at all. A lot of people have blindly followed that principle and take it upon themselves to tell anyone who doesn't follow it they are wrong at every given opportunity. Which is arrogant at best and downright ignorant at worst.
    Plenty of people have lost weight and kept it off and look good from incorporating the elliptical into their routine.

I think the most salient point that most people tend to forget about this place is the little disclaimer that's at the bottom of every thread.
    Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.
  • emma1982
    emma1982 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So, we got the elliptical, and I am quite religious about going on it every day. Except I have a small issue with registering the calories. I usually go on MFP and choose elliptical and put the minutes I worked out. Usually for 30 minutes it is over 300 calories and for 45 over 400. So far so good. Except the Schwinn 430 that we got has a different calorie count. I put in my weight and age and all that, and for the 45 minutes instead of 480 calories or whatever MFP tells me, the Schwinn counter is somewhere in the early hundreds (140?). That can't be right: considering how much I sweat, how good of a work out it is, how I keep dropping off pounds, there is no way on earth I am only burning 140 calories for that.
    Apparently there was a bike mode and a hike mode or something, and we switched to the one where more calories are burnt, but still, it is way below what reality looks like.
    Of course, I am absolutely content with the results, and I am in love with the elliptical: I started from only being able to stay 10 minutes and I am now at 45 minutes and loving it. But the calorie count leaves something to be desired...
    Any ideas on what to do? Is the MFP calculator adequate?
  • nkeklund
    nkeklund Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think ellipticals are great, treadmill and jogging on it is better for burning more calories faster - can be bad on the knees though.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I do it for my cardio and it's the exercise that gets my heartrate up the highest. I go by the caloric burn on my HRM, not the machine (yes, the machine is inaccurate and tells me about 100 calories higher). I set the level to 17 (out of 20) and I do bursts where I push it hard for 45 seconds, then back off, then 2 minutes later do it again.

I tried running and my HR was 20 beats lower; tried the stationary bike and again, about 20 beats lower. I don't know if it has anything to do with the fact that I was a power walker for 12 years and towards the end, I started to feel no burn and I wouldn't even get sweaty, but I LOVE a good sweaty workout and the elliptical does that for me.

NOW, I will say I do strength training 3 times a week and that is my favorite thing to do -- it gives me the visible results I wanted. Prior to adding more strength training in, I did not see the muscle definition I do now.

I think both are important, but I guess I don't agree with the notion that the elliptical is somehow bad. It is getting your heartrate going and as long as you are pushing yourself on it, it is an effective workout machine. It is zero impact on the joints, which can be a plus for people too.
  • driley9330
    driley9330 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My husband lost 50 lbs on the elliptical only. I use it too! GREAT CARDIO!
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I have had one for years and it was my primary exercise (daily) for many months when I started at MFP. I have drifted away from it because I started running when I got lighter and now race. The elliptical is a fantastic tool and built a strong cardio base for me but it doesn’t translate to running. Make sure to adjust it to fit your body. As a repetitive-motion machine, it can lead to repetitive motion injuries. In the end, you lose weight because you control your food. Exercise is just a support tool but will never replace smart food choices.
  • ktoby78
    ktoby78 Posts: 1
    Options
    Im having the same problem with my schwinn journey, saying I only burned 20 calories in 15 min, way off! Is that a defect? Have you found a way to fix that on your machine?
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I think its great. I have bad ankles and need something low impact. I cant run on the treadmill my poor ankles turns black n blue and swells up. On the eliptical it doesnt. So thats what I use. I switch between that and the stationary bike for cardio. I say to each their own. But dont just do the elliptical you need to switch up your workouts every now and then. Add some weight training also.
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical. I have one at home... I don't use it (I just can't stand working out at home). I do, however, regularly use the ones at the gym. Generally for a warm up before getting into weights or doing something else.

I do think it helps if you have an elliptical where you can increase the resistance a decent amount and even the incline. I never, ever just get on the elliptical with zero resistance and go to town. I increase, increase, increase the resistance so I really have to work at it.

The elliptical certainly isn't a "Bad" piece of equipment. Anything that gets you moving and burning calories IS a good thing. Just make sure you incorporate it in with other sorts of activities
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    The one I use has a monitor in the handle - so it sorta reads heart rate - I'm not going to claim its' perfect - but it says my HRM is around 130 and in 20 minutes it says I used about 190 cals. I wish I had a 'real' HRM to see how close that was - but if that information helps someone - more power to you

PS I'm 5'0" and about 137#
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    there's a lot of reasons why i personally would not use an eliptical now, but in the past i used it to support weightloss and it was very effective.

All forms of exercise burn calories, so they all support weight loss. People will have their opinions on one form being better then another, but there is a lot to be said for doing what you enjoy (or will continue to do at least).

your success or failure with wieght loss will always be like 95% diet and like 5% what excercise you do (IMO)